Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharing My Latest Project: SnapMyBike.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sharing My Latest Project: SnapMyBike.com

Had an idea for a location-based register of the places I have been to and/or like to use to take pictures of my bike as a resource to help others find good locations. A buddy wanted to see if he could work out how to make it work - with the help of a few plugins and fiddling with some knobs and buttons, SnapMyBike.com was born.

Take a look!

Zoom out to a global view and you'll see a focus of 'pins' around Sydney (obvious that this was where they would originate), plus a couple in Europe (Sussex, UK; and Cote d'Azur, France). Each 'pin' has a title, an address or GPS co-ordinates, a description and a sample pic.

If you fancy giving it a try (and helping out with some beta testing and/or suggestions - I have a few builds in mind myself already), stick a pin up and let me know what you think. I have to moderate them before they'll be visible, but I know the pins work so I'm really seeking feedback on the process than the pin visibility.

There are also a couple of café and shop pins - any other café & shops additions to the site will become subscription-based for a small annual fee.

As the strapline: "Find, mark, remember" indicates, this was as much about finding new locations that I was unaware of locally and when I am travelling with my bike in new places as it was showing off where I tend to take pics of my bike. I think it works quite well in that regard; and I'm excited to see what crops up.

Of course it could go nowhere! It has been mentioned a number of times that some folk like to keep their bike photography locations secret, and I totally get that - but this has cost nothing more than a few bucks and some time, so I'm happy just seeing what happens...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Sharing My Latest Project: SnapMyBike.com

I never realised the noise of tumbleweed rolling was so deafening...!

Ok, I'll add this: There is no need to sign up, login, create a username or password, supply an email address or have an account - you literally just submit the location with a description and pic and you're done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that doesn't sound very secure. I think as a minimum you should demand a password of at least 6 characters and demand at least one uppercase and at least one lowercase letter, together with at least one number and at least one special character. Most importantly, make sure you don't spell that out. Just tell people their proposed password is unacceptable.

I like it though. I can see why Bike Shops might want to get on there.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am having trouble seeing the bike- when I use the map function it is hard to move back to see the full picture of the bike.
    What I am making now:7 sugars.
    Instagram: 7 sugars.

"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination.... Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic."
    — Jim Jarmusch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No automatic image resize on the map based on computer screen size. Meaning it is larger than the screen of my laptop and doesn't scale down. That least tools for zooming in and out missing because they lie outside the confines of my screen. When I click on the little camera icons, sometimes I get an image, sometimes I get just coordinates and sometimes the image opens up off screen. Using Safari on a MacBook Pro with latest OS.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the bottle ride View Post
    I am having trouble seeing the bike- when I use the map function it is hard to move back to see the full picture of the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    No automatic image resize on the map based on computer screen size. Meaning it is larger than the screen of my laptop and doesn't scale down. That least tools for zooming in and out missing because they lie outside the confines of my screen. When I click on the little camera icons, sometimes I get an image, sometimes I get just coordinates and sometimes the image opens up off screen. Using Safari on a MacBook Pro with latest OS.
    Good feedback, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just tested the above - I get this (screenshot below) regardless of browser or device every time:

Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 12.21.17 pm.jpg

Clearly this isn't what you guys are seeing?...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Rich- I think I dropped a couple of pins/photos for you.

DJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, I see the photos from NZ and Australia just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I add this to your map, does it support video?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DJBCFP12 View Post
    Hi Rich- I think I dropped a couple of pins/photos for you.

DJ
    Thanks. The pins have come through and I have approved them, but they don't have pics on them - for some reason that appears to be stopping them showing. Working out why now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Thanks. The pins have come through and I have approved them, but they don't have pics on them - for some reason that appears to be stopping them showing. Working out why now.
    Scratch that - was working fine on other browsers so cleared the cache on Safari and it sorted it. Your pins are now live

A cache clear or page refresh could be what you're facing with the image sizing, the bottle ride & j44ke? We've tested this fairly extensively across devices and browsers with no issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what I'm getting. Gray bar at the top is the upper limit of my browser window. In order to see the the entire image of each camera icon here, I have to keep moving the map around in the window so the image clears the boundaries of the browser window. If I want to adjust the zoom on the browser window, I have to scroll down to get at the zoom tools. As far as I can tell, the usual key strokes have no control over zooming the map window. You don't see the zoom controls here, because they are outside of the confines of the browser window.

Seems like very basic programming that needs some finesse. Map image should automatically resize to fit the browser window with zoom controls always in the lower right so viewers don't have to scroll up and down every time they want to zoom in or out. Clicking a camera icon should result in the image appearing either above or below, left or right of the icon depending on its position in the window so the image is visible.

edit: the below is a screen grab of the right third to half of my browser window, from the bottom to the top of the window.

Also I see now there is a message that comes up that says "use command + to zoom" but that zooms the entire page, not the map. As far as I can tell, the zoom controls in the lower right of the map are the only way to actually zoom the map, and on a small screen those are outside the viewable area and require scrolling to reach each time they are used.

Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 9.15.57 PM.jpg
    Last edited by j44ke; 12-09-2019 at 10:35 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll look into it, thanks. The map and images are set to resize and the zoom tools are always visible in all the testing we've done, which is why I'm curious that you're having this issue.

One question: Is your browser window view zoom set to 100% (i.e. regardless of the page you're looking at, are you viewing each page at 100% or higher)? If it's higher than that, then the issues you're seeing kind of make sense.

On a Mac, holding the Command key whilst scrolling in or out zooms the map.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loaded the page in Chrome on my PC and thought the site was broken because the map didn't load though the header/footer/menu is all present. Loaded it in Microsoft Edge on the same PC and it loaded fine. I don't know what the issue is, this is the first time I've ever had any issues loading any web page with Chrome. I turned off AdBlock and it still didn't load. Further attempts and it loads on my Android phone in Chrome mobile, and loads on my MacBook Air in Safari, but also doesn't load in Chrome on my MacBook Air. Makes me think you have a Chrome compatibility issue. Or maybe it's my Chrome configuration. But, again, this is the only page I've ever had a loading issue with using Chrome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again, appreciate the feedback - we'll look into it, but this isn't an issue we have come across in our testing (Chrome works fine across 2 Macs, 4 mobile devices and a PC at my end alone), so it might be something we'll struggle to replicate without the specifics of your configuration.

Bear in mind this isn't intended to be a life-changing tool and the revenue stream we get is likely to cover a few coffees a year at best (unless it happens to take off and get cafe and bike shop subscriptions globally, which would be nice!). This is just two blokes following through on an idea for shits & giggles, to see if we can make it work and to see where it goes - and only one of us (not me) is tech-savvy enough to even attempt to resolve the issues that you guys have seen!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    I'll look into it, thanks. The map and images are set to resize and the zoom tools are always visible in all the testing we've done, which is why I'm curious that you're having this issue.

One question: Is your browser window view zoom set to 100% (i.e. regardless of the page you're looking at, are you viewing each page at 100% or higher)? If it's higher than that, then the issues you're seeing kind of make sense.

On a Mac, holding the Command key whilst scrolling in or out zooms the map.
    On a Mac with a touch pad it is Command + two finger swipe.

The map thing reads like the map is set to fill a fixed dimension website window rather than set to fill a dynamic website window based on viewer's browser window size.
    Last edited by j44ke; 12-09-2019 at 11:33 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using Explorer on a Windows machine. If you click on the menu it covers the zoom buttons, but that's the only way I've been able to make it happen.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interestingly, when I launch an "incognito" Chrome window your page loads fine. But still doesn't load the map in my standard Chrome setup. It's probably one of my security or privacy settings or an extension or something. Still, it's the only web page I remember not loading as it should, unless I'm missing a lot of features on a lot of web sites without knowing it....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    The map thing reads like the map is set to fill a fixed dimension website window rather than set to fill a dynamic website window based on viewer's browser window size.
    No - it is dynamic and set to 100% of the browser window width, albeit with a fixed height. It should always be full width of your browser window, but never more than that (which is why I ask about your browser view zoom being bigger than 100%).

EDIT: I just tested zooming my web browser to 150% (which makes all text REALLY BIG!). Even then the map was still only full page width with zoom controls showing (Safari, Firefox & Chrome on MacBook Pro).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast