Part Time Framebuilder
    Bicycle Tragic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Serotta Act II

did his other branding just not work? or did he have to buy the name back? or?
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still have a Serotta and I’d love the venture to succeed. That said, the pricing looks unsustainable and the brand has baggage. Additionally, the market is full of new and more relevant Ti builders. I’m thinking Firefly and Mosaic in particular.

It would seem that this ship has probably sailed.
    La Cheeserie!

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish him well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Re: Serotta Act II

How about that for an unexpected news update. Wow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post
    Looks like the model names are the same as the past couple rounds of attempts.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have a Ti Serotta on my Wahoo KICKR. I sweat all over that thing.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He won back the Serotta name from the VC bros in an epic contest of drinking games

Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But what do I know about what works. That Peloton thing has buyers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, lost the first post. What I said was it seemed strange, will be interesting to see if it works. I don't think it will, that despite three of the four bikes downstairs being Serottas. I prefer a direct connection to the people making my bike. It would be pretty funny if the guys making these was the crew over in Johnstown but I doubt it they were pretty busy last I knew. Hope it works though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I still have a Serotta and I’d love the venture to succeed. That said, the pricing looks unsustainable and the brand has baggage. Additionally, the market is full of new and more relevant Ti builders. I’m thinking Firefly and Mosaic in particular.

It would seem that this ship has probably sailed.
    I have a fantastic Serotta. The frameset is from 1981. I paid about three hundred bucks for it, delivered.

Is Ballston Spa a city of second chances or failed dreams? I guess time will tell. Has Ben considered California?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like my colorado II that I scored for $350. Good luck Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know many on this forum hate me for saying this, but how can a custom builder compete with Trek or Specialized? I know, TI lasts forever, but how many people ride a particular bike for that long to matter. Considering the advancement of tires ( tubeless and higher quality clinchers in larger sizes ) and the new carbon frames with shock absorbtion built into the frames, the TI frames seem like they are priced out of the market. His starting price is $7900. How many will he sell? 50 on this forum?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dpcompt View Post
    I know many on this forum hate me for saying this, but how can a custom builder compete with Trek or Specialized? I know, TI lasts forever, but how many people ride a particular bike for that long to matter. Considering the advancement of tires ( tubeless and higher quality clinchers in larger sizes ) and the new carbon frames with shock absorbtion built into the frames, the TI frames seem like they are priced out of the market. His starting price is $7900. How many will he sell? 50 on this forum?
    Wow, is $7900 for a frameset?
    Lee James Jones
    105 fan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I read it as “completes starting from $7900”, which made me think the framesets might actually be fairly reasonable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to be clear, the starting price stated on the website is for a complete bicycle:

Pricing for complete bicycles $7,900 to $11,500.
    Granted, the build kit hasnt been specified, but assuming a reasonable Ultegra mechanical build kit, the starting price is very much in line with the market. A Routt 45 with Ultegra mechanical complete is $7,942 on Moots website. A No. 22 Drifter with Ultegra mechanical is $7,848 on No. 22s website. A Drifter X with Ultegra mechanical is over $8K.

The point you are making is an existential one for the custom bike market at a whole. The field for boutique titanium frames seems pretty broad: Moots, Seven and IF at the higher volume end of the spectrum, and then Firefly, Mosaic, No. 22, Bingham Built/Eriksen, Hampsten, 333 Fab, Strong, Zanconato, etc. But in reality, how many frames a year do all of these builders need to produce to keep the lights on? Probably less than 5,000. Production bikes from Trek, Specialized, Open, etc. are great bikes, but the custom ti market is a blip in the grand scheme of things. The question for Ben is going to be whether he can differentiate himself within that blip. I have several Serotta ti bikes (Legends and a Pronto), and those bikes pushed the limits of manufacturing. It would be prohibitively expensive to build a Legend today, so I suspect that whatever the revived Serotta makes is going to look a lot more like others bikes than a Legend did bitd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually two very distinct products. Custom is not competing w/ Trek or specialized; it may compete w/ Colnago and Pinarello though. Custom means original, eccentric, one of a kind. Trek and Specialized being the oter side of the coin actually empower the custom builder. The bigger is trek, the better for the custom market. When the big companies shrink the custom guy is in danger.
    I came here for the socks.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    Actually two very distinct products. Custom is not competing w/ Trek or specialized; it may compete w/ Colnago and Pinarello though. Custom means original, eccentric, one of a kind. Trek and Specialized being the oter side of the coin actually empower the custom builder. The bigger is trek, the better for the custom market. When the big companies shrink the custom guy is in danger.
    The custom guy (read: independent maker) is *only* in danger when he's undertrained and or not in tune with the market he chose to enter.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast