User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Serotta Act II

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Serotta Act II

I notice the link isn’t active now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glepore View Post
    ....He's sub'ing out the actual build to a group in upstate NY ( geez, that's hard to suss out)...
    Well, its not the most well-known upstaters. No22 has nothing to do with this initiative, as confirmed by the 22 team across the hall.
    Geoff used to race around on a Brodie Sovereign
    Geoff Morgan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me, buying a custom bike is entirely dependent on having a sense of trust in the builder/company; the relationship that e-richie speaks to. In this case, we know that Ben Serotta, in the past, was able to run a company of competent and skilled workers to make ti bikes that folks really liked. We didn't know who was sitting at the bench, but through a track record built bike by bike, experience by experience, people developed trust in the brand and what was offered. At least until things went sideways.

But today? Why buy a Serotta now when you have so many other proven choices in ti bikes? I think we can assume that the design, at least of road bikes, will be much like old Serottas, including the custom design part. The tubesets? The fabrication? The likelihood of the company being around in 4-5 years if there's a problem? These are unknowns, some easily answered, others harder and I don't see how you overcome them unless the company has enough staying power to start building and selling bikes and proving themselves all over again, particularly at the marketprice being offered. I have no idea how much capital this would take, but unless its going to be a 2-3 person operation (and even then?), it seems like it would be a substantial investment until the revenues caught up with the expenses.

In the 90s I had a Legend, and Serotta was "the" brand to lust after in the local LBS that was lucky enough to have some on the floor. They lost me with the Meivici though. Launching a carbon bike, without any prior track record in carbon, but at a price point that if I recall was around 50% than any other carbon bike out there - my recollection is they wanted over 7K for a frame when most everything else, including custom regardless of material, was less than 5K (and often much much less) struck me as an unwarranted overreach; a breach of faith with their customers. And with that my trust in the company evaporated, my interest in their bikes went with it.

I do wish them success, but I think they'll have to earn it the old fashioned way: producing great product at a competitive price so that interest, and trust, is reborn. And if they are going after the same buyer who is looking at a Firefly or Seven or Moots or Bingham etc., then they have to produce a bike equally as good and lustworthy if not better. But I guess that's a worthy challenge for someone who has been climbed to the pinnacle in the past and wants to grab onto that quest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Fake News !!!

This is more like Act V

Serotta is an American bicycle builder located in Saratoga Springs, New York. Named after founder Ben Serotta, the company was founded in 1972.[1]

Serotta built frames for the Coors, Crest and 7-Eleven pro teams, although Team 7-Eleven bikes were branded as Murray and later Huffy. Serotta also built bikes for the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Games. Serotta was known in the industry for its proprietary tube designs and revolutionizing titanium bicycle building. Serotta sold the company in 1989 to Archibald Cox Jr., son of Watergate special prosecutor Archibald Cox Jr. Cox later purchased Fat City Cycles and merged it with Serotta in response to growing interest in mountain biking. In 1997, Ben Serotta and his wife Marcie bought the company back from Cox.[2]

Serotta also has a bicycle-fitting system.[3] The Serotta Fit School, started in 1998, trains retailers, coaches and clinicians in a system that incorporates the rider's life, goals, fitness, body, flexibility, motion, experience, injuries, surgeries and physical concerns.

In June 2013, Serotta merged with Blue Competition Cycles and Mad Fiber Wheels under the name of Divine Cycling Group.[4] In July 2013, Serotta ceased manufacturing bicycles.[4]

In 2015, Ben Serotta helped redesign the Citi Bike for New York City's bike sharing system.[5]

In 2017 Ben Serotta returned to selling bicycles under the name of Serotta Design Studio.

In 2020 Ben Serotta announced the return of Serotta branded bicycles

- Garro.
    Wait a sec...Divine cycling group? wtf..
    I came here for the socks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    Wait a sec...Divine cycling group? wtf..
    Long story...wtf for sure.

Divine Cycling Group turmoil continues: Blue on the block, Serotta divided | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    I notice the link isn’t active now.
    Is for me here...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple years before, the bike and me got hit by a car and eventually the left rear dropout cracked. I took it up to the factory to get it fixed and the vibe when I dropped it off was really weird. The deal went down when the bike was there and when I went to pick it up everybody but like three guys were gone, this big space full of half finished bikes and many in for repaint and other repairs. A couple of days later they padlocked the doors. People getting their own bikes out of there was tough, from what I gathered. I'd have been up there with a sledgehammer if they hadn't finished mine up before it happened.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234