Likes Likes:  0

Thread: semi-OT help me fix this Knog Blinder light

Post Thanks / Like

Default semi-OT help me fix this Knog Blinder light

Picked up a Knog Blinder last spring, to use as a "be seen" headlight and a complement to my bright headlight once DST ends.
    Strap broke, almost immediately. Knog kindly replaced it, and it's replacement failed in the same way.

This time, they sent another and tell me the strap has been beefed up, though it really doesn't look like anything has changed.
    So, I have 2 lights with a broken band, and one that will likely fail soon.
    I think the band is basically made for 26.0 or 31.8 bars, but as soon as you are dealing with tape/cables on a 31.8, you're pushing the damn thing's limits.

Can anyone help me brainstorm a decent way to mount these to the bike again? The tricky bit is that the USB charger is a little flip out door underneath the light, so taping it to your bars is a very temporary fix until it needs to be charged again. This is frustrating as hell, since the light mechanism is actually really nice. Hoping maybe this crew could help brainstorm a fix.

For now, I am using the newest one on a Paul's light mount on the middle of my commuter's fork, but I have no such spot on my other bikes.

Thanks gang.

(top pic is my actual light)

2012-10-24.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: semi-OT help me fix this Knog Blinder light

I feel your pain Matt. The propensity for the silicone band to break with these lights truly is the achilles heel of some otherwise awesome Knog products.

My girlfriend is really hard on gear and quickly broke the band on her Knog Frog. I managed to get the band super glued back together, but that only lasted a couple of weeks. Here's what did prove to be a lasting solution - I trimmed up the tag ends of the broken band, zip tied them together around a hair tie thingie (if you live with a female with long hair there's only about 10,000 of these things around the house), and voila, we're operational. It does require that you wrap the hair tie all the way around the handlebar top, passing the light through the loop on the way, in order to be snug enough to hold the light in place.

I realize you're using a different model, but a similar solution should work for you.

1024121038.jpg1024121037.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Nice idea K.
    We have a big old bag of cooking rubber bands that may also do the trick.
    Will give this a whirl.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd cut the plastic loop away and drill holes for 2 tyraps to replace the clamp mechanism. It's a more permanent mounting but it beats breaking clamps. If you still have the broken units you can experiment.

Post Thanks / Like

You could try Sugru https://sugru.com/

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I asked the crew at Knog, and they are aware of this issue, and have made amendments. From my personal experience, I've noticed the grippy-ness of the silicone strap sometimes means the stretch is only concentrated at the very ends of the strap. Try to stretch the strap along its entire length.

Post Thanks / Like

sugru looks pretty interesting..

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, I know this is an old thread but it is one of the first google results for "knog blinder broken strap". I recently had some of my rear Blinders break in the same way and managed to make a pretty good fix with some o-rings that allows it still to be easily removed from the bike. And certainly, there are lots of good ideas in this thread already; thanks. My write-up is here:
    mschaus projects: Knog Blinder -- fix for broken mounting strap

The people at Knog overall seem pretty responsive so they will help anyone with trouble. And yes, Sugru is indeed awesome but I didn't find a way to work it in here.

Best of luck!