User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saint George Utah ?

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Saint George Utah ?

I only have so many mid-Atlantic winters left in me, so my beautiful wife and I are scouting potential winter digs (Jan - March/April or so). We're in Saint George this week. Climate is exactly what we're looking for. Culturally, let's say it lacks a little diversity, but I think we could manage. Landscape is incredible and there are infinite possibilities for outdoor recreation. I would have to up my MTB game and now I see why the cool kids don't run 39 x 25 grannies like I can get away with in Bucks County. Any of you guys familiar with the area and the cycling culture as it pertains to my demographic (i.e. 60 year olds whose glory days consisted of being 3/4 packfiller and insist that bicycles be made of metal)? I plan to poke around the local shops this week. Any other thoughts about the area in general appreciated.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Saint George Utah ?

It was on my list too until I met my fiance. I live in Kingman, AZ, and was looking at St George as a summer spot with an RV. It's a beautiful place, the culture can be a little tough unless you're LDS. I'd live there just for the riding. Due south is Colorado City, AZ which is in the same county where I live, but I have to drive through Vegas and St George to get there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_City,_Arizona
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

St George is the "biggest" little city I've ever been in, a "whole lot of shaking going on" for a relatively small town. I get up there only occasionally on a bike. They used to do a ride called "Tri State Fondo" which was a good one, we always showed up for that. You'll find lots to do outdoors, and mt biking probably doesn't get better anywhere in the country. I met a guy who came to the US from France who said he'd come to Utah to ride Gooseberry Mesa. For bike shops there is Red Rock, but get by IBB Cyclery in Ivins, just northwest of St George.
    good luck.

bruceking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely exploded recently, it will be interesting to see if the demographic is sustainable as with all the new "Zoom Towns"

Nice place to visit, my family homesteaded there (Washington, UT) in the first wave of Mormon settlement, he was the right hand man to JS and the first registered dentist in Utah, Alexander Neibaur.

Man, is Zion getting trashed........4+ million people a year into the tiny place, crazy.

My dos centavos is wait until the post pandemic real estate bubble when people realize they miss the city or are over extended on the 2nd home purchase, seriously.
    Always has worked for me.

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re-titling: Winter abode recommendations in the Southwest

Garro, thanks for the wisdom and agree about a likely real estate bubble. After four days here, we've decided that it's very nice, but not for us. Riding/hiking/trail running heaven but I don't get a sense of social warmth/community. People are all very nice (genuine) but I don't think we'd fit in well as left-leaning Philadelphians. My wife and I got asked last evening if we both REALLY wanted a beer with our dinner - clear implication that skipping or splitting was recommended. I have more in common socially with the three millenial hipsters who live here (they work shifts) than I do with the folks my age. Next stop on the Southwest shopping tour - a monthly winter rental in Sedona. My wife will stay the whole month, I'll do a week PTO and a week WFH. Visited on a day trip a decade ago and liked it. Not sure if it's contrived new agey or a genuinely cool place. A month will tell. Any other suggestions for Southwest winter digs welcome. We don't do the Paradise Valley plastic surgery gold emblem Lexus thing, if that helps. Just want to get old riding my bike, enjoying nature with some new friends and downing some good food and drink. We have the other nine months covered back east.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portal AZ. High PhD per capita due to Southwestern Research Center run by the American Museum of Natural History. Researchers who work there not infrequently retire there. Cave Creek canyon in the Chiricahua Mountains. Riparian eco-zone. Beautiful area. Off-grid entirely possible. Small but friendly community. At one point we were going to build a house there but we moved to Prague CZ instead. Freakin’ amazing wildlife and natural beauty. Some of the best bird watching in the country.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Re-titling: Winter abode recommendations in the Southwest

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    Garro, thanks for the wisdom and agree about a likely real estate bubble. After four days here, we've decided that it's very nice, but not for us. Riding/hiking/trail running heaven but I don't get a sense of social warmth/community. People are all very nice (genuine) but I don't think we'd fit in well as left-leaning Philadelphians. My wife and I got asked last evening if we both REALLY wanted a beer with our dinner - clear implication that skipping or splitting was recommended. I have more in common socially with the three millenial hipsters who live here (they work shifts) than I do with the folks my age. Next stop on the Southwest shopping tour - a monthly winter rental in Sedona. My wife will stay the whole month, I'll do a week PTO and a week WFH. Visited on a day trip a decade ago and liked it. Not sure if it's contrived new agey or a genuinely cool place. A month will tell. Any other suggestions for Southwest winter digs welcome. We don't do the Paradise Valley plastic surgery gold emblem Lexus thing, if that helps. Just want to get old riding my bike, enjoying nature with some new friends and downing some good food and drink. We have the other nine months covered back east.
    Oh Man.

Sedona (I own a house 23 miles N in FLG and one 20min south in Camp Verde) has become full time spring break - we really hope it slows down post March / April but I'm not sure it's going to, the other day the drive time during mid week was an hour from Village of Oak Creek to Uptown, which I think is about seven miles.

We stick to the edges and rarely go "in" which I really miss, as I have been riding MTB's there since 1986 - reality check.........I am in a tiny farming town and someone just paid 1.3 million CASH for the house at the end of my street.

AZ is insane......even PHX is expensive now, which blows my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Portal AZ. High PhD per capita due to Southwestern Research Center run by the American Museum of Natural History. Researchers who work there not infrequently retire there. Cave Creek canyon in the Chiricahua Mountains. Riparian eco-zone. Beautiful area. Off-grid entirely possible. Small but friendly community. At one point we were going to build a house there but we moved to Prague CZ instead. Freakin’ amazing wildlife and natural beauty. Some of the best bird watching in the country.
    Nice place, but also built out to the forest boundaries although you MAY find some land near Paradise, AZ or to the W in the Sulfer Springs Valley although what's going on down there is huge water wars where countries like the U.A.E and such are buying whole valley-covering ranches for water intensive agriculture for export and when it's dry they are going to just bail.
    Some areas have seen a three meter fall in ground level due to subduction as the water is drained.

I wish I had better news but it's just insane to watch, just nuts.
    The house I bought for 88K 20 years ago is a 400K house now and it's 840sq feet !!!

Sedona, see here:

http://www.redrocknews.com/2021/04/0...-spring-break/

- Garro.
    Last edited by steve garro; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:34 AM.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, thanks for that. Sobering. My limited time there was 11 and 12 years ago, mid-January and nothing like that going on. We spent some time in Kanab today. Nice town that might be worth a second look.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Oh Man.

Nice place, but also built out to the forest boundaries although you MAY find some land near Paradise, AZ or to the W in the Sulfer Springs Valley although what's going on down there is huge water wars where countries like the U.A.E and such are buying whole valley-covering ranches for water intensive agriculture for export and when it's dry they are going to just bail.
    Some areas have seen a three meter fall in ground level due to subduction as the water is drained.

- Garro.
    I live at the south end of the Hualapai Valley. The UAE folks bought up all kinds of land to grow alfalfa and nut trees. They're constantly sinking wells to water their crops. Nothing good will come of that.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who would have thought?

Bill Fernance
    Bicycle Shop Owner
    Part Time Framebuilder
    Bicycle Tragic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cadillac Desert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Cadillac Desert.
    Exactly what I thought. Prescient book.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    My wife and I got asked last evening if we both REALLY wanted a beer with our dinner - clear implication that skipping or splitting was recommended.
    I suppose you could have pushed back by saying something like "Why do you ask?" and see where that took you, but most people (myself included) don't want to turn a quiet dinner (or the rest of their lives) into a crusade against the LDS. On the other hand, it's probably good that that sort of thing happened right off the bat - it let you know what living would be like for outsiders like you and your wife.

I've been to SLC a few times on business and didn't come across anything like that. In fact, we were quite amused when we discovered this on the beer list, which lead us to believe that at least some locals (heathens, presumably) had a sense of humor:

75a260824ba82b8695b864679bbcefc3.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always wanted to go to New Mexico - maybe Santa Fe or Albuquerque feel like places that have culture. Well, I mean everywhere has culture. A culture that doesn't revolve around ingratiating yourself to a teetotaling polygamist sex cult, I guess.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by progetto View Post
    Who would have thought?
    Well, since we are surrounded by the ruins of ancient civilizations, this guy for one.

I'm surrounded by the Anasazi, the Sinaguans, the Mogollon and the Hohokam and they all left due to drought.

I feel like a rock in the river with this stuff flowing by, I just stay in one spot and watch............not for much longer as things go, but that's history.........

- Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, since we are surrounded by the ruins of ancient civilizations, this guy for one.

I'm surrounded by the Anasazi, the Sinaguans, the Mogollon and the Hohokam and they all left due to drought.

I feel like a rock in the river with this stuff flowing by, I just stay in one spot and watch............not for much longer as things go, but that's history.........

- Garro.
    So much insight here^
    I feel a hot wind on my shoulder
    And the touch of a world that is older

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zeroking View Post
    So much insight here^
    “And the answer, said the judge. If God meant to interfere in the degeneracy of mankind would he not have done so by now? Wolves cull themselves, man. What other creature could? And is the race of man not more predacious yet? The way of the world is to bloom and to flower and die but in the affairs of men there is no waning and the noon of his expression signals the onset of night. His spirit is exhausted at the peak of its achievement. His meridian is at once his darkening and the evening of his day. He loves games? Let him play for stakes. This you see here, these ruins wondered at by tribes of savages, do you not think that this will be again? Aye. And again. With other people, with other sons.”

― Cormac McCarthy, "Blood Meridian"

I met a traveller from an antique land,
    Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
    Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
    And on the pedestal, these words appear:
    My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
    Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

- Percy Bysshe Shelley

Years of drought and famine come and years of flood and famine come, and the climate is not changed with dance, libation or prayer.

- J.W. Powell

- Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I wrote an essay for my MA describing Route 66 between Seligman, AZ and Needles, CA during the Dust Bowl. Most folks that left the Dust Bowl states heading west stopped before California to begin a new life. The ones that reached CA were disappointed when it wasn't the land of plenty advertised in their home states. I think most of us are seeking a place where we can live our lives, do what we enjoy, and not be overcrowded. I'm not sure there are many places left like that. I live in Kingman, AZ, a big truck stop on I-40 about 45 minutes from California. People are moving here in large numbers, mostly from California. We don't even have a Target. We're a nomadic people failing to recognize that we overpopulate, deplete the resources, and move to a new location to start the process over.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    Exactly what I thought. Prescient book.
    And it was backward looking.

Meanwhile, in our neck of the woods, big changes afoot:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...n=The%20Upshot

I've heard there are 30,000 more people in the general vicinity. Already I see people beating the bushes looking for building lots. Everything sold last year. Hopefully this won't result in the suburbanization of our little slice of heaven.
    Jay Dwight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast