User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: sagan is wearing a new sidi

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    428
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default sagan is wearing a new sidi

    It looks like Sidi is copying Specialized. Two Techno enclosures are better than one!

    CORVOS_00019544-156-small.jpg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Laahndan town
    Posts
    2,409
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: sagan is wearing a new sidi

    look closer... still looks like a velcro first strap to me.....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,158
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: sagan is wearing a new sidi

    I have that shoe. It's not new. Two of the round stringy things right?

    edit: whoops. only one pair.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    428
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: sagan is wearing a new sidi

    I found another pix of the shoe!

    sidi.jpg

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    984
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: sagan is wearing a new sidi

    Can't wait to see the price point of those. I just switched from Sidi's to Specialized. Half the price, as good if not better.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale
    Posts
    5,774
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: sagan is wearing a new sidi

    Quote Originally Posted by burgess1108 View Post
    Can't wait to see the price point of those. I just switched from Sidi's to Specialized. Half the price, as good if not better.
    Maybe half price if you look at Sidi's top of the line versus Specialized middle of the line. Spec's $360 for top of the line shoes and rarely if ever discounted. At least Sidi's can be had from the UK with slightly cheaper pricing.

    Either way - cycling shoes are getting expensive. I remember when I got my Sidi Genius 5.5 that were top of the line for $220.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    14,300
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: sagan is wearing a new sidi

    I have a pair of Sidi Ergo 2 shoes. If product excellence is measured by how little you think about something while you ride these would rank about a 9.5 out of 10. Or higher. It is possible that they are 1/2 size too small but that's hard to tell. My feet simply don't hurt in them. Today I was on the bike for 4+ hours in temps ranging from 80F at 0545AM to about 90+ at 10AM. No aching. No arch issues like I've had in my cheaper shoes. No hot spots. No nothing.

    They're expensive as hell at MSRP of about $500 but worth every penny. I've had mine about 4 years and I am soon to buy another pair. I was going to think of Rapha shoes but they sold out in my size in about 3 minutes it seems and they no longer show them on their website. So another pair of Sidis it'll be. The only question is 43 or 43.5. I wore my Ergo 2s on both Ballers Rides and had no foot issues, even at 6 hours in the heat and humidity.

    Sidis are worth it, even for the top level ones. But if these exceed $500 MSRP I won't deny that I will at least look at other shoes.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale
    Posts
    5,774
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: sagan is wearing a new sidi

    Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I have a pair of Sidi Ergo 2 shoes. If product excellence is measured by how little you think about something while you ride these would rank about a 9.5 out of 10. Or higher. It is possible that they are 1/2 size too small but that's hard to tell. My feet simply don't hurt in them. Today I was on the bike for 4+ hours in temps ranging from 80F at 0545AM to about 90+ at 10AM. No aching. No arch issues like I've had in my cheaper shoes. No hot spots. No nothing.

    They're expensive as hell at MSRP of about $500 but worth every penny. I've had mine about 4 years and I am soon to buy another pair. I was going to think of Rapha shoes but they sold out in my size in about 3 minutes it seems and they no longer show them on their website. So another pair of Sidis it'll be. The only question is 43 or 43.5. I wore my Ergo 2s on both Ballers Rides and had no foot issues, even at 6 hours in the heat and humidity.

    Sidis are worth it, even for the top level ones. But if these exceed $500 MSRP I won't deny that I will at least look at other shoes.
    You can find new ergo2 for $230 - $300. Ergo 3 are $499. Not sure if there is any real benefit to 3 over 2 other than the awesome colors. The Sidi that I wore were a 1/2 size too large, I think. I'm wondering if the right size + mega would fit me better - but I've heard the Ergos are more narrow than the Genius and they don't have ergo mega (at least, I don't think so). I don't even know if I need f'ing mega ...

    My Northwaves fit awesome but smell horrible.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    984
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: sagan is wearing a new sidi

    Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    Maybe half price if you look at Sidi's top of the line versus Specialized middle of the line. Spec's $360 for top of the line shoes and rarely if ever discounted. At least Sidi's can be had from the UK with slightly cheaper pricing.

    Either way - cycling shoes are getting expensive. I remember when I got my Sidi Genius 5.5 that were top of the line for $220.
    Fair enough. I did get a hook up so paid well under MSRP. I've had multiple pairs of Sidi's (both road and mountain) and they've been very good. I've been in the S-Works for the past few months, though, and I think they're better. Certainly better vented for the really hot days like we're having now.

    On a side note, I think it's ridiculous that Sidi's cycling shoes are more expensive than their motorcycle boots.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mertztown, PA
    Posts
    4,428
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: sagan is wearing a new sidi

    My Action SRS MTB shoes have (Had? They are nearing the end of the road after 10 years) a ratchet buckle at the top and two of the earlier versions of the Techno closures. These guys:

    sidi_action2srs_03_m.jpg

    Does the new design reduce pressure points or something?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Shakopee, Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    2,143
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: sagan is wearing a new sidi

    You guys with width issues should try Lake. Like butter for me vs. any of the Sidi models I have used.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, United States
    Posts
    421
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: sagan is wearing a new sidi

    The Specialized shoes are cheaper because they are well....cheaper. You will buy at least two pairs to equal out to the service life of a Sidi. Which by the way are still made in Italy.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    984
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: sagan is wearing a new sidi

    Quote Originally Posted by mattsbeers View Post
    The Specialized shoes are cheaper because they are well....cheaper. You will buy at least two pairs to equal out to the service life of a Sidi. Which by the way are still made in Italy.
    Good point. Went in with that in mind, but we'll see how well the Specialized hold up. My biggest concern is over the ratchets, but that'll be a moot point with Sidi going that route, too. They're sexier, but is it really an improvement over velcro?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale
    Posts
    5,774
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: sagan is wearing a new sidi

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorman View Post
    You guys with width issues should try Lake. Like butter for me vs. any of the Sidi models I have used.
    I've had my finger on the trigger for a pair of 330cx. Captain Kangaroo fan and all. I just can't find any first hand experience with them. You can compare them to Sidi quality or more like Specialized/Giro quality?
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mertztown, PA
    Posts
    4,428
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: sagan is wearing a new sidi

    Quote Originally Posted by burgess1108 View Post
    They're sexier, but is it really an improvement over velcro?
    Yes. The new shoes are an evolution of something they've been doing for a decade.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The frozen tundra
    Posts
    673
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: sagan is wearing a new sidi

    Quote Originally Posted by burgess1108 View Post
    Can't wait to see the price point of those. I just switched from Sidi's to Specialized. Half the price, as good if not better.
    I also made the switch to Specialized after by LBS folks recommended I try them. No looking back for me...they are awesome and the boa lets you really dial them in;)

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Shakopee, Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    2,143
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: sagan is wearing a new sidi

    Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    I've had my finger on the trigger for a pair of 330cx. Captain Kangaroo fan and all. I just can't find any first hand experience with them. You can compare them to Sidi quality or more like Specialized/Giro quality?
    I've got a pair from (I think) two years ago that I ride exclusively. Mid level set with the rear cable tightener thingy. They are a little wider in the footbed than Sidi. Not quite as durable as they are real leather vs. pleather. I've got 2 sets of Sidi 5.5's and a pair of Ergo 2's. The 5.5 models are on the same stiffness level as the 2-300 level Lake's. The Ergo 2 is a bit more stiff, but I love the extra room up front on the Lakes. Feels more like a regular shoe if you know what I mean. I'm saving up to go to one of the top models shortly.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    southern CT
    Posts
    1,844
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: sagan is wearing a new sidi

    Quote Originally Posted by burgess1108 View Post
    Good point. Went in with that in mind, but we'll see how well the Specialized hold up. My biggest concern is over the ratchets, but that'll be a moot point with Sidi going that route, too. They're sexier, but is it really an improvement over velcro?
    The boa dials (rachets, if you will), hold up very well and are like $7 to replace. Spec shoes have been a game changer for me. After years of tolerating foot pain with myriad brands, I have found my own special lifeshoe with Specialized.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    southern CT
    Posts
    1,844
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: sagan is wearing a new sidi

    Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I have a pair of Sidi Ergo 2 shoes. If product excellence is measured by how little you think about something while you ride these would rank about a 9.5 out of 10. Or higher. It is possible that they are 1/2 size too small but that's hard to tell. My feet simply don't hurt in them. Today I was on the bike for 4+ hours in temps ranging from 80F at 0545AM to about 90+ at 10AM. No aching. No arch issues like I've had in my cheaper shoes. No hot spots. No nothing.

    They're expensive as hell at MSRP of about $500 but worth every penny. I've had mine about 4 years and I am soon to buy another pair. I was going to think of Rapha shoes but they sold out in my size in about 3 minutes it seems and they no longer show them on their website. So another pair of Sidis it'll be. The only question is 43 or 43.5. I wore my Ergo 2s on both Ballers Rides and had no foot issues, even at 6 hours in the heat and humidity.

    Sidis are worth it, even for the top level ones. But if these exceed $500 MSRP I won't deny that I will at least look at other shoes.
    Bummer. I wanted you to get those Rapha shoes and give a report. They are supposed to getting more stock soon. Vsaloner Signature Justin is a Rapha retailer; he might have your size.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Coquitlam, British Columbia
    Posts
    10,684
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: sagan is wearing a new sidi

    Quote Originally Posted by mattsbeers View Post
    The Specialized shoes are cheaper because they are well....cheaper. You will buy at least two pairs to equal out to the service life of a Sidi. Which by the way are still made in Italy.
    Some models of Sidi shoes are made in Romania. Even some models that are 'assembled' in Italy come from pieces cut in other places.

    -g

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sagan on Twitter
    By airedale in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-14-2012, 12:20 AM
  2. I want to start wearing neckties again...
    By Sasha in forum The Art of Wardrobe
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 04-16-2012, 07:36 PM
  3. getting back into the watch wearing game
    By roseyscot in forum The Art of Wardrobe
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-16-2012, 10:32 PM
  4. NYPD humor - cyclist stopped for wearing a skirt.
    By prcrstn8 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-24-2011, 12:22 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •