User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which saddle for an Aliante user?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Which saddle for an Aliante user?

After riding Fabric saddles the last year or so, I broke out my Hampsten with an Aliante on there and was struck by how pleasant it was in comparison to the Fabric saddles. As a result, I'm bringing this thread back from the archives.

I don't dig the aesthetics of the Gamma that Fizik is currently selling and my searches on ebay were pretty fruitless, so I'm looking for something new. Has anyone found any other perfect contenders than those suggested here? What have former Aliante riders migrated to?

My shortlist is:
    Brooks Cambium
    Fizik Antares

What else should I consider?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prologo Scratch 2 or Scratch 2 Pas

Specialized Power Arc

The only problem is that the Specialized Power Arc only comes in 143. That's too wide. The Prologo comes in 134. Just right for my narrow hips.

I can see why people with wider set hip joints like the Power Arc though.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update from the Mothership:

I've been riding the newer R3 version and liking it so ignore my previous whinging. Also liking the Antares - maybe not quite as much but it has a racier feel and is worth consideration.
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    "Tighten the wingnuts!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta put in my vote for the Bontrager Aeolus. The swoop in the back gives you something to push against, yet it feels level when you sit back on an incline. The broad nose and full channel make it so easy to rotate the hips and get aero without feeling numb. It's all win-win with this one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

never a huge fan of the aliante, but I have been pleased with the recent short-nose saddles from Fizik. They differ from most of the short saddles by having a bit of a dip in the middle + rise in the tail; not much, but not dead flat like most of the others. 3 widths, 2 padding levels, and a few rail options yield quite a few models/price points.

bike-cycling-2-saddle-fizik-vento-argo-r5-150_side.jpg
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nycjames View Post
    I broke out my Hampsten with an Aliante on there and was struck by how pleasant it was in comparison to the Fabric saddles. As a result, I'm bringing this thread back from the archives.

What else should I consider?
    I am not sure to understand. If you like the aliante, why are you looking for alternatives ?
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I am not sure to understand. If you like the aliante, why are you looking for alternatives ?
    Sorry if I wasn't totally clear, my communication skills are probably atrophying with all this working from home.

Fizik updated the design of the Aliante. They still make the same model, but offer only one color and it's black with white panels and the aesthetics of it don't really work for me (I know, I know). I have the older style Aliante on my Hampsten and am looking for something I will be happy with on my other bikes.

Speaking of which, thank you all for the suggestions! Steve, I give weight to your opinion, since it was my Team Pro that set me down the road of being a devout Aliante rider nearly 10 years ago!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a fan of the original Aliante, I never got on with the new shape. I found the Fabric Radius to be a good substitute and really durable too.

In the past, I was a superfan of the SDG Bel-Air with Ti rails and leather cover. I would buy them whenever they appeared for sale but my stash is long exhausted. The cheaper versions with the synthetic covers never felt right and they fell apart quickly so I moved on years ago. Yesterday, I stumbled upon the Bel-Air 3.0 and it looks like it has the classic Bel-Air shape but with modern high quality construction. If I needed a saddle, I would give it a try. Looks rounded with a kicked up tail and comes in black. Snobs won't approve but my sit bones don't care.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My fav is still the original. I can ride the new one but it's not nearly as good. I have 3 "in stock".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever you do, donít ride the original model with the carbon rails. Iíve cracked three of them and I only weight 152 pounds.
    I realize Iím riding a lot of adventure type roads but still wouldnít trust the carbon rails.
    Darnell Laventhrop, Curling Coach

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hum, carbon rails on all of mine. Never an issue and I am more than 152 pounds. This includes Reno2Cino and 3 paris roubaix.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Hum, carbon rails on all of mine. Never an issue and I am more than 152 pounds. This includes Reno2Cino and 3 paris roubaix.
    The carbon rails are fine if you don’t complete the event.
    Darnell Laventhrop, Curling Coach

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DCT View Post
    The carbon rails are fine if you don’t complete the event.
    completed all of the above.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The carbon rails have been fine for me at #170 for many years. And I buy the Alliantes used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, I'm a diehard Aliante fan, have used it almost exclusively on all my bikes since 2006. Was totally crestfallen when fizik disco'd the original Aliante, was livid beyond belief when someone sold me an Aliante VS and tried to pawn it off as "exactly the same as the Aliante only with a channel", and have been watching the whole modern R3/R5 variations with a mixture of trepidation and morbid fascination. Threads like this one are my lifeblood...only because I keep hoping one of them will finally include a link to Vast Warehouse Filled With NOS Aliante Saddles Uncovered, Owner Selling For Pennies On The Dollar.

I bought a couple of used Aliantes several years back just to save for when my current bikes need new ones. (One of them is getting pretty close.)

But here's the weird thing: Two years ago I bought a new stock Cannondale CAADX 105 Disc that came with a Fabric Scoop Radius Sport saddle. It was fully my intention to replace that factory-spec saddle with one of these used Aliantes from my stockpile. But I figured I'd try riding on the Fabric Scoop Radius Sport for a while just to see what it's like.

That was two years and several thousand miles ago. Still have the Fabric Scoop Radius Sport on the CAADX. It's okay. It's not that different from an Aliante that I notice anything amiss when I climb on the bike. It definitely doesn't suck.

So maybe I should just start hoarding those?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question for @hampco and others:

Any opinions on the older vs Versus Evo Antares:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm curious, too, about how the Versus Evo compares to the classic Antares. Any thoughts/experiences appreciated. Never felt a classic Antares was missing anything but curious if the long cutout helps in any way. TIA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If any of you want a load of Fabric Scoop Race Shallow saddles, I've had to change my perch and would be glad to clear these out in volume. Lightly used and may have one new one as well. I'll get pics and a price together if anyone here is interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Iím super interested in this. I can ride an Aliante, but itís a little too much curve for me. Iíve been trying an Antares, but it may be too flat or too wide. Specialized Power has not been kind to me after 40-50 miles. Fabric Scoop Shallow has been on my radar for a while, but the continued expense of these experiments isnít fun! PM me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DCT View Post
    Whatever you do, don’t ride the original model with the carbon rails. I’ve cracked three of them and I only weight 152 pounds.
    I realize I’m riding a lot of adventure type roads but still wouldn’t trust the carbon rails.
    I may have spoken too quickly as my oldest one is making a really weird noise right now. Did you snap yours clean or it cracked under the braided portion ?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast