User Tag List

Thread: RX glass, changing light, transitions or not, what color works best

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default RX glass, changing light, transitions or not, what color works best

Being stinggy, lazy, or just generally uninterested...I have a habit of not getting new glasses very often.

This time around I am looking at getting some RX lenses for a set of Rudy Project Rydons as part of the general glasses overhaul.

I am considering transition lenses with a yellow base that go into the brown spectrum but not very dark.

Because I don't update my glasses often, I am not up on the latest goodness of lens options and thus the questions:

Transitions - I last had transition glasses 30 years ago and they were very slow to change.
    Has this gotten better?
    I read that these don't transition while driving due to the windshields UV protection. Is this still the case?

Base lens color - Yellow? Grey? Red? From what reading I have done it seems like yellow is the way to go to ensure good contrast particularly in the woods.

Lens darkness - Looks like a couple of places offer lenses that are not too dark. General experience/info on this topic?

I am sure that geography plays a role in some of the answers.
    I am in New England and encounter dense woods/shadows, cloudy days, as well as exposed bright sun.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: RX glass, changing light, transitions or not, what color works best

My needs are a bit different than yours so some of my choices might not apply to you. I wanted a pair of glasses that I could wear day or night so it was important that they get light enough to see at night but at the same time dark enough to provide good protection during the day. I went with a "sport" transition lens that Sports Optical said would get both darker and lighter than standard lenses by a significant amount. They work, I've used them now for over a year in both day and night riding and am able to read a cue sheet at night (with a light of course) without difficulty.

To answer your questions:
    1. They seem to change quickly enough though it's far from instantaneous.
    2. Yes, they don't work inside a car due to the UV protection in windshields. They're not driving glasses.
    3. I went with grey.
    4. My needs are different, I wanted as dark (and light) as possible.

Hope this helps but expect it doesn't.
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just went around this myself, and also seriously considered the transitions DriveWear that you're considering, though I went with the xtra active instead. Both are supposed to change with visible light as well as with UV. I didn't like them for cycling glasses as they didn't change enough (for me) in the morning and evening and weren't quite dark enough in the daytime. Although like the DriveWear, the XtraActive were supposed to change in the car, they didn't really change much, just a very light tint. As far as how quickly they change, they're much faster than the old products. Mine are noticeably darker in well under a minute in full sunlight.

Wound up with regular transitions in my everyday glasses and full polarized for cycling.

Given that you're looking for something that doesn't get super dark, the drivewear might work well for you. I'd try to get them in a place that allows free lens replacement if you're not happy- most of the places I've been seem to do this.
    My name is David Moeny

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have transitions medium brown lenses that are about 3 years old. They have a light, barely visible yellow tint when they are fully clear. The optical shop added the yellow tint when I explained that I wanted to use the glasses for mountain biking and wanted good contrast. I only use them as riding glasses and I like them. They work well in the woods and they work on the road too. They change, but not instantaneously. So if you are riding in and out of a lot of shady, sunny, shady stuff they probably won't be able to keep up. They do not work behind the windshield and I have grey tinted sunglasses for when I drive. Since I have the grey lenses, I can say that the brown lenses are definitely better for contrast. Also, my transitions lenses get much darker in cold weather than they do in warm. That's not a problem especially since the woods here shed their leaves in the cold months and there's less shade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rudy Impactx2 red is the most versatile lens I've worn. Transition is fast, darkest phase is enough for sunny days and I can ride all year round from dusk till dawn and beyond.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My main preference for most riding conditions is vermillion/red tint with prescription lenses.
    For mountainbiking or heavy overcast I use a different pair of light amber/yellow to boost contrast.

You do NOT wish to have lenses polarized...that eliminates “sheen” from wet pavement or ice.
    That little glimmer might give you a few seconds of warning. Same goes for skiing lenses.

All of mine are Rudy Project glasses and they have been top-notch.
    Excellent performance and they rarely fog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post

You do NOT wish to have lenses polarized...that eliminates “sheen” from wet pavement or ice.
    That little glimmer might give you a few seconds of warning. Same goes for skiing lenses.

Wow, good to know. Wouldn’t have thought of that.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bewheels View Post
    ”...Wow, good to know. Wouldn’t have thought of that...”
    Polarized is great for fishing, boating, waterskiing, and even typical fair-weather driving.
    For our sport we truly need that extra “surface” information to provide a margin of safety.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: photochromic lenses.

I did an energy audit of a uniform laundry house. Half of the place was for nuclear power plants, and you had to go through a radiation scanner into and out of the facility to ensure your weren't irradiated.

We were asked about photochromic lenses (and iridescent watches), if you had them you had to put them in the basket to bypass the scanner because they emitted radiation higher than the permissible level. And these are right in front your brain pan, many hours a day. Maybe not all photochromic lenses, but worth asking about?
    Last edited by thollandpe; 11-18-2017 at 10:58 PM.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Re: photochromic lenses.

I did an energy audit of a uniform laundry house. Half of the place was for nuclear power plants, and you had to go through a radiation scanner into and out of the facility to ensure your weren't irradiated.

We were asked about photochromic lenses (and iridescent watches), if you had them you had to put them in the basket to bypass the scanner because they emitted radiation higher than the permissible level. And these are right in front your brain pan, many hours a day. Maybe not all photochromic lenses, but worth asking about?
    Good to know.

According to the books I read (the ones that put the bright hand drawn images in frames and words in bubbles) I should end up with super eyesight, or a big brain, or my hairline back if I go with those.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bewheels View Post
    I should end up with super eyesight, or a big brain, or my hairline back if I go with those.
    Do not move your hairline farther back, it's gone far enough.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 11-19-2017 at 10:37 AM.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That go non-polarized is a great point. Thanks.

Not to sidetrack the thread but a related thing I am wondering if the folks suggesting the Red lenses can help on....

I go on random let’s see where this road takes me kind of rides. I all too frequently end up getting hopelessly lost.

So, I carry a phone or mount a Garmin when it is going to be one of those days. I need reading glasses to see the little map. I have tried grey, blues, in the Rudy’s with RX lenses but can not read the screen except when the light conditions are just so. Thus I have defaulted to clear lenses with prescriptions.

Thus my question is, does anyone know if I went with the reds as suggested above if I would be able to see a screen with the reader portion of the lens?
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel