Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Russia Banned from winter olympics

Post Thanks / Like

Default Russia Banned from winter olympics

Guy Washburn

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Russia Banned from winter olympics

Am I misguided if I think it is a bummer for the athletes mostly? I mean, clearly if you weren't part of that and lost out in competition it really sucks to get a letter a couple of years later congratulating you on your newly awarded podium spot. But what about the Russian athletes that were part of the program? I wonder how many of them really didn't think they had much of an option. It also probably sucks for the ones coming along now who won't get a chance even if they wouldn't mind a little honest competition. The guys in charge that caused the whole thing, nothing comes down on them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Am I misguided if I think it is a bummer for the athletes mostly? I mean, clearly if you weren't part of that and lost out in competition it really sucks to get a letter a couple of years later congratulating you on your newly awarded podium spot. But what about the Russian athletes that were part of the program? I wonder how many of them really didn't think they had much of an option. It also probably sucks for the ones coming along now who won't get a chance even if they wouldn't mind a little honest competition. The guys in charge that caused the whole thing, nothing comes down on them.
    Sure those athletes will be disappointed. They were let down by their country and people they trust. I cant see any other way though, you cant let a bunch of doped up athletes compete (even if it was the way it was handled in the past).
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think this is sport or doping related.

It is just the cold war of the early 21th century.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like

My 2 cents...

I think it's in the sprit of the Olympics to let Russian athletes compete. It's a complicated situation and the athletes are the pawns.
    It's the Olympic Committee's duty to test and deal with the caught cheats. Or are we guilty until proven innocent.

Banning the Russians, as another has said, is political and hurts athletes and sport and creates more harm than good.
    I'm also a believer that athletes that don't dope can still find their way to the podium and beat the cheats. Maybe naÔve...
    Tim To | Granville Bicycles | flickr | instagram | Smoked Out

Post Thanks / Like

How many of y'all have watched the Icarus documentary? It seems like ALL the Russians are on The Program. The one funded by the government.

Also - we'll see if they actually get banned, for real. They were banned from Rio too, right? But most were allowed to compete.
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram
    Southern Wheelworks: Website - Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Iím pretty sure that Russian athletes can still apply for an exemption and compete with a blank kit, though their medal total will not be counted towards Russia. That seems to me like a perfectly reasonable exception.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    How many of y'all have watched the Icarus documentary? It seems like ALL the Russians are on The Program. The one funded by the government.

Also - we'll see if they actually get banned, for real. They were banned from Rio too, right? But most were allowed to compete.
    awesome documentary.

i think it's great that the IOC stuck it to the government.

"Olympic Athletes from Russia" is who they'd be competing..."for". Country maintains some dignity. The gov't, though? not so much.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I don't think this is sport or doping related.

It is just the cold war of the early 21th century.
    Exactly! Itīs about politics.
    I came here for the socks.

Post Thanks / Like

Russia won 33 medals in the 2014 winter Olympics.
    Overall, there were 11 medals stripped away because of doping violations in those Olympics.
    9 of those 11 were Russian.

Everything has traces of politics in it. But I would not brush this off as purely politics.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like

I lost any real interest I had in the Olympics when Carter led the 1980 ban -- protesting Russian invading Afghanistan.
    Which screwed ALL of our hard working athletes, including Greg Lemond.

I grew up naively the Olympics were above politics.

The NHL isnít taking a break during the Olympics this year, not supporting the GamesÖ

So, overall, I really could care less.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm naive enough to believe there are athletes that relish honest competition and cynical enough to know that the instigators never fight their own war.

My brother's wife's friend is a cross country skier that was selected to the US team and with that backing we were still all chipping in a hundred bucks for her travel and living expenses. Allowing people from Russia to compete as neutral is an empty gesture.

Post Thanks / Like

I watched Icarus last week, definitely an eye-opener. Crazy that the producer of the documentary just wanted to compete (dope) at the Haute Route and stumbled upon this major scandal. I think this is the only way to deal with the Russians since they've proven that they can cheat the Olympic committee's testing and hinder the ability to catch doping athletes.

I LOVE the Olympics, especially the Winter Games. But since the NHL pulled out, I doubt I'll watch any of the hockey unless someone I play with in beer league is on one of the teams (I jest). That was a bad move by the NHL. However, I suspect they'll be back in once the Olympics move to a market more likely to produce future NHLers than South Korea.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised that so many voices here feel that this is about politics, and not about sports or doping. It seems like a pretty cut and dried penalty for a doping infraction, albeit on a different scale than we've seen before. What am I missing? Do you think the outcome would have been different if it was a different nation?

For what it's worth, I know a handful of people who competed in Sochi and who will compete in Pyeongchang in Alpine and XC skiing. This was the outcome that I heard many of them advocating for, so as long as they (the people most directly affected by the doping) are cool with it, I'm cool with it.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been said that the "clean" Russian athletes will be allowed to compete under the Olympic flag, as many other state-less athletes have done in the past. Knowing that they couldn't filter out the dirty Russian athletes prior to the last few Olympic games, what confidence do they have that they will be able to accurately determine who the clean athletes are?

Post Thanks / Like

It is about politics when the doping program is state-run. This does punish athletes, some perhaps unfairly, but is also the only way that those state officials who instigated this program at the highest level of government (Mr. P) will feel any sting of consequence for their actions. Glad the IOC had some balls this time around.

Rest assured Mr. P is not happy right now.

Post Thanks / Like

You know your country's desperate when it dopes bobsledders

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Am I misguided if I think it is a bummer for the athletes mostly?
    Misguided may be a little harsh. But reports are clear Russian athletes will be able to compete. In fact their uniforms will even indicate they are Russians. No flag or national anthem if they win though. Not sure that's so much a big deal.

Post Thanks / Like

The Olympics Games jumped the shark decades ago and I have virtually zero interest in them, especially watching the US coverage. The amount of corruption that has been exposed and the fact that they bankrupt host nations and cities makes them a total farce. Seeing photos of the abandoned stadiums and facilities is eye opening. I was glad to see some US cities actively say "Hell No" to bidding on hosting this event.

The fact that Russia is banned registers with me as, "Who gives a f***".
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    The Olympics Games jumped the shark decades ago and I have virtually zero interest in them, especially watching the US coverage. The amount of corruption that has been exposed and the fact that they bankrupt host nations and cities makes them a total farce. Seeing photos of the abandoned stadiums and facilities is eye opening. I was glad to see some US cities actively say "Hell No" to bidding on hosting this event.

The fact that Russia is banned registers with me as, "Who gives a f***".
    Agreed. Looks like a good idea on paper, but in execution is unacceptable.
    Andy Cohen