Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road shoes with a wide toe box?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Road shoes with a wide toe box?

Extra points if it can actually be found in the US or shipped in under 6 months :(

Iíve been wearing Sidi Megas for about 15 years but the truth is the Sidi concept is for tons of extra fore foot volume, which I donít really need. So a 45 Mega is the right length but needs insoles, shims, etc. to help take up the space. My current shoes are getting soft in the soles and the cleat threads arenít awesome.

I have a midrange pair of Specialized off road shoes with boas that I donít love. They feel hot and narrow, but werenít particularly expensive.

The Giro and Shimano lasts look narrow to me, and Lake wides arenít in good stock as far as I can tell in the US online world. Iím fine with laces.

Any advice?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Road shoes with a wide toe box?

Lakes with the competition last, non-wide....241, 238...237 if you can find them.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can confirm Giros are indeed probably gonna be narrow - they play well with my narrow, SIDI feet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bonts, though not certain about US availability.

The uppers aren't as durable as some other brands, but the soles are the best I've ever ridden, and the toebox is fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My feet are like ping-pong paddles and I've searched many times.

I'd love to try Bonts but it is tough in the states to find someone that stocks them and has a good return policy.

I have Lake 237 mtn bike shoes. Overall I'm pretty happy with these. In general I don't like leather footwear but the bonus on these is that you can use a shoe stretcher to give you a little more space. I use the shoe stretcher on all shoes. Even if the material doesn't stretch the seams often will give a little. I also have some old Fiziks that I think were pretty good but I have SPDs on all the bikes now and haven't used them in a while. Spesh, Shimano, Giro have all been very hit or miss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had the best, consistent luck with the Lakes and they publish really detailed width information for all of their lasts so you can customize to need. I also have a pair of the Shimano blue Xc-9 that I found in wide sizes from German retailers, they are fantastic without too much volume, but plenty of width, far back in the toe box (which is where I need it.)
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shimano all day every day - My foot is a bit wide at the forefoot and giro/italian brands don’t work for me but shimano is perfect. Specialized is a bit in between and has been borderline in my experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTD has started carrying Shimano in wide. A flippered friend of mine got the RC701’s from them about a month ago. Seemed happy.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/sear...d=msh&fcat=csm
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been using Sidis for years, ever since the Merckx Adidas wore out.
    I started getting the metatarsal crunch.
    I kept buying longer shoes.
    Finally, I figured out I needed wider.
    Lake CX 218 wide shoes felt like a big soft soft leather sofa compared to the folding steel chair of my Sidis.
    They are wonderful.
    The lace up ones cost even less.

My advice is to buy them from the Lake site.
    Pay close attention to their advice on sizing, including the drawing of your foot profile under weight.
    I got the size that they advised on the chart and it fits perfectly. They've put a lot of work into those charts and they work.

Oh, and I like the Lake Boa a lot more than the fiddly boa on the Side wires.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://quoc.cc/collections/night-road-cycling-shoes

I don't know if you can find these in US, but they will ship to US. I recently had a London shop send me something and it took less than a week.

The shoes fit wider but not wide. I like these. It seems every shoe company is messing with their lasts lately. The running shoe companies are really screwing things up, and I don't know why.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been a Mega 46 wearer for 20 years but for my last MTB shoes, I went to a shop that sells lakes and they have 3 different lasts. One of them fits perfectly and my next road shoes will be Lakes.

I had my shop order the newer Shimano Wide shoes and they are not wide enough for my feet.

Regarding your Sidi cleat threads: they can be replaced--just make sure that you get the proper length for your specific vintage.
    Jeff Hazeltine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I forgot about Quoc - they do look interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is vSalon - Riivo! Made to measure right here in America.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In case you were looking for a bespoke option: https://lamsoncycling.com
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nick k View Post
    I have a midrange pair of Specialized off road shoes with boas that I don’t love. They feel hot and narrow, but weren’t particularly expensive.
    My stock response to folks who say "Even SIDI Megas aren't wide enough for my fat feet!" has always been Specialized...so maybe try a pricier pair, like some S-Works models? I've had two pairs of Specialized shoes in the past ~15 years that fit me better than any SIDI I've ever tried (including the 45 Megas I currently tolerate) or the Gaernes that I used for half a decade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    My stock response to folks who say "Even SIDI Megas aren't wide enough for my fat feet!" has always been Specialized...so maybe try a pricier pair, like some S-Works models? I've had two pairs of Specialized shoes in the past ~15 years that fit me better than any SIDI I've ever tried (including the 45 Megas I currently tolerate) or the Gaernes that I used for half a decade.
    Yeah, I have been curious to try S-Works shoes. Though the Sidi Megas are plenty wide, they are also just way too tall/high volume in the forefoot. I don't think I need a super wide shoe, just wide enough and flat enough to support correctly. My current inventory is either too loose above my metatarsals and toes (Sidi Mega) or too narrow (Specialized).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post

I don't know if you can find these in US, but they will ship to US. I recently had a London shop send me something and it took less than a week.

The shoes fit wider but not wide. I like these. It seems every shoe company is messing with their lasts lately. The running shoe companies are really screwing things up, and I don't know why.
    Quoc shoes are not even bordering on wide. The ones I had took on a really weird shape because the last is narrow but the leather (eventually) gave enough to (mostly) accommodate the width of my foot.

If you think Quoc are wide, you don't have wide feet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lake is the answer here, but it sounds like those aren't in stock.

Second to Lake, I would echo the Shimano sentiment above.

Bont are wide, but their toe box shape is funny. If your second or third toe is long, they will feel odd - and the toe end of the shoe is one part that cannot be molded.

I'm having surprising success at the moment with the Fizik AeroWeave Powerstrap R2s. A total gamble in the hope that the material would give enough to accommodate my wide flippers; and, thankfully, it does - very much so. I actually prefer them over my wide-fit Lake 402s. They ain't cheap, but I like them enough to consider getting a set of the new blue ones.

Another one to consider is the Giro Empire 'HV' (high volume). No personal recent experience, but older Giro HV models have fit me well in the past. There's a risk tht overall volume is increased as well as toe box width, but I don't know this enough to answer for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    ...Bont are wide, but their toe box shape is funny. If your second or third toe is long, they will feel odd - and the toe end of the shoe is one part that cannot be molded...
    I can vouch for the weird Bont shape. I had to get a pair of Bonts that were too big, in order to have them long enough for my third toe. Result was numb feet, which kind of outweighs a super stiff sole for me. Shouldn't have bought them. Lesson learnt. Ebay bargain for someone.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post

Doug, it is because members of the aristocratic classes like you and me have been lax in their standards for personal relationships, and our regally shaped feet are disappearing into the genetic morass of archless webbed flippers our ancestors shed millennia ago when they first rose up on two feet and stepped confidently from the reeds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast