User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Road shoes with a wide toe box?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Road shoes with a wide toe box?

The Shimano wides fit me better than the Sidi megas. My forefoot is wide but the rest of my foot is normal width, the Shimano wide narrows nicely towards the heel. I found the mega Sidis to be good in the forefoot but too wide and loose at the heel.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll give another rec for Shimano wide. For me, the Shimano wide has less volume over the forefoot than the Lake competition last (non-wide). The only shoes I've ridden for the past....6 years, I guess, for any lengthy period of time, have been Lakes and Shimano wide.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I moved from Shimano wides to Lake wides this year, very happy with the comp last from Lake, it has a medium overall volume compared to shoes built around their competition last (Low volume) and those built around their sport last (high volume). But then, shoes are a very subjective piece of cycling equipment, right?
    Bikes rule!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for everyoneís advice. I have a few pairs of Lakes inbound and will return what doesnít fit. I did the foot tracing per their instructions and am right on the edge between the Competition last in regular or Race last in wide. Shout out to Competitive Cyclistís Joe who stayed on a chat with me for a long time confirming sizes, lasts, other brands, offering personal experience - which mirrors the above - etc. I also ordered a few on sale pairs from Lake direct; somethingís gotta fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oy -- went through this recently. My foot widened or flattened or something over time, and my lake cx330s stopped fitting. So, went to try to get another pair of lakes, but no luck with them. That said, Lake's 2xx series is wider in the standard width than their 3xx series. For me, the standard 2xx didn't feel great (not enough to buy, at least) and the standard 3xx didn't fit at all, but I didn't get to try the wide 3xx series.

The higher end Fizik R1s -- the knit ones -- fit really well. The flyknit material feels a lot like the stuff in some running shoes and accommodates a wider range of foot shapes, it seems.

The shoes that worked best for my wide forefoot and narrow heel were a shimano RP9 and a bont vaypor s -- both were able to give my forefoot a bunch of room without making the heel or rest of foot wide. Ended up going with the Shimanos because of some arch tightness on the bonts. Funny thing -- the higher end Shimano s-phyre's didn't fit at all. Narrower toe box. Not a ton to say about the RP9s other than that they fit really well -- like, didn't notice em once they were on.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hummus it View Post
    Oy -- went through this recently. My foot widened or flattened or something over time, and my lake cx330s stopped fitting. So, went to try to get another pair of lakes, but no luck with them. That said, Lake's 2xx series is wider in the standard width than their 3xx series. For me, the standard 2xx didn't feel great (not enough to buy, at least) and the standard 3xx didn't fit at all, but I didn't get to try the wide 3xx series.

The higher end Fizik R1s -- the knit ones -- fit really well. The flyknit material feels a lot like the stuff in some running shoes and accommodates a wider range of foot shapes, it seems.

The shoes that worked best for my wide forefoot and narrow heel were a shimano RP9 and a bont vaypor s -- both were able to give my forefoot a bunch of room without making the heel or rest of foot wide. Ended up going with the Shimanos because of some arch tightness on the bonts. Funny thing -- the higher end Shimano s-phyre's didn't fit at all. Narrower toe box. Not a ton to say about the RP9s other than that they fit really well -- like, didn't notice em once they were on.

Good luck!
    Me too. 10 months ago I went on a shoe buying bonanza when my feet broke down and flattened out. Specialized shoes took care of the width but the pointy toes rubbed my big to a bit and my heel slips a little. I tried Bont cheapies, the Riots, and they are surprisingly great.

Out of the box, they were horrid. I almost sent them back because the arches are very rigid and high. I used a hair dryer to lower the arches and systematically mold out all of the hot spots around the shoes. I widened the forefoot, lowered the arches and pinched the heels together. Now I love them. Bonts are odd beasts. I normally wear a 42.5 or 43 but I wear a 44 in Bont. They also lower the stack height by about 8-10mm compared to my Specialized shoes and I had to lower my saddle accordingly. I have "morton's toe", where my second toe is longer than my big toe and when I put my feet together, they form a near-perfect circle. My mutant feet really gel with the Bont shoes so far.

Before buying Bont shoes, lower your expectations on workmanship. They are certainly sound but they have a "handmade" look and feel to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got weird feet: my right foot is quite a bit wider than my left. Normally for dress shoes, I get them in E-size rather than standard D-size, just to avoid discomfort.

With that said, I've found DMT to be generally comfortable and wider (at the toebox) than most. Granted, there isn't a wide size available.

Alternative, Shimano, as mentioned above, have wide-sized shoes. My MTB shoes are 43 wide and fit me well. Only gripe is that the tongue doesn't stay in place and slips (where as on my DMTs, there's a bit of Velcro that secures the positioning of the tongues)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by houston View Post
    Me too. 10 months ago I went on a shoe buying bonanza when my feet broke down and flattened out. Specialized shoes took care of the width but the pointy toes rubbed my big to a bit and my heel slips a little. I tried Bont cheapies, the Riots, and they are surprisingly great.

Out of the box, they were horrid. I almost sent them back because the arches are very rigid and high. I used a hair dryer to lower the arches and systematically mold out all of the hot spots around the shoes. I widened the forefoot, lowered the arches and pinched the heels together. Now I love them. Bonts are odd beasts. I normally wear a 42.5 or 43 but I wear a 44 in Bont. They also lower the stack height by about 8-10mm compared to my Specialized shoes and I had to lower my saddle accordingly. I have "morton's toe", where my second toe is longer than my big toe and when I put my feet together, they form a near-perfect circle. My mutant feet really gel with the Bont shoes so far.

Before buying Bont shoes, lower your expectations on workmanship. They are certainly sound but they have a "handmade" look and feel to them.
    This is really good to know. Wish they'd advertise this a bit better because I ended up mounting cleats on the shimanos and riding em since the bonts felt so weird out of the box.

Size-wise, same experience. 44 in bonts even though i'm 43 or 42.5 in most other shoes. The 43 bonts didn't fit at all. And...there's no 43.5 because...yolo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shimano FTW. I have a somewhat narrow foot...until I get to my toes. I can’t by any means wear a wide shoe. I can get my RC901s tighter than any shoe I’ve ever owned, and still feel like I have breathing room for my toes. Plus the finish and construction, and the colours, are just top notch.

I suspect the new 902s are even better, with the specially-bendy sole. Holding out for the MTB version to verify...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    my right foot is quite a bit wider than my left.
    "I got a great big horny fang, which is my zomby tooth,
    my right foot's bigger than my other one is, like a regular zomby hoof!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new Specialized S Works are very wide for a standard width shoe. I bought a pair and they're much wider than the last model. Everyone I know with them has been (semi) complaining about how wide they are.
    Chris

Road, CX, Mountain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I threw in the towel and decided to commit to mounting cleats on the three pairs of Lakes I had ordered. First ride on the CX237 was a revelation compared to my Sidis. I need the left upper to stretch a weeensy bit, but the soles are massively stiff - a revelation frankly. I have a completely different understanding of frame stiffness and tire pressure in 15 miles of riding new shoes. Trying the MX237 today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm telling you guys, if you don't already have a shoe stretcher get on it. Mine are heavily customized to get the areas I have problems with. I think I may have a rock taped to one to get a spot.

https://www.amazon.com/Eachway-Profe...s%2C156&sr=8-5

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by houston View Post
    I wouldn't care about that, but it seems the uppers (at least on my Vaypor and Riots) are not as durable as some other shoes, which is a shame, because the sole is amazing. After trashing the Riot's upper, I've used it for commuting, they're scuffed like Abdoujaparov after a sprint, but still hold it together: I got a pair of low ends Fiziks I got to replace them still in the box –†and would probably stay that way considering the change in commute patterns…

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    With that said, I've found DMT to be generally comfortable and wider (at the toebox) than most. Granted, there isn't a wide size available.
    Funny, DMTs were the narrowest shoes I have ever tried. Even getting a high-end pair for free didn't make them comfortable ;)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12