Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rides in/around Philadelphia

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rides in/around Philadelphia

Soooooo I'm going to be in Rittenhouse Square for a weekend once every few weeks (for the foreseeable future) and I'm hoping to get some suggestions for rides leaving roughly from the area. I'm thinking of stuff a couple/few hours long.

I asked this question at a bike shop in rittenhouse and was met with blank stares, which struck me as odd since the place had a fair amount of blingy gear and I expected them to know something about riding in the area... but I expected wrongly.

Anyway, thoughts on solid rides?
    Fights begin, finger prints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated.

Post Thanks / Like

Road or MTB?

Obviously current ride conditions are ZERO.

All rides from Center City start at the Art Museum. They are either at the back where the Italian Fountain is or the front steps. Around the Corner weekday rides start at the Bulldog. All this stuff is within 1 block of the Museum.

Tuesday - the Ambler ride
    Thursday - Gladwyne hills
    Saturday - The Grate
    Sunday - Paoli, Ambler, Bucks County, or rarely something different.

MTB -
    Thursday Belmont is the only organized riding situation. It is at the Belmont.

If you need better info show up at the Art Museum Saturday and there WILL be people there. 9AM.

Cheers,
    Drew
    PS- My store is in Chestnut Hill and is on the route of the Tuesday and Saturday ride.
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, this is what I was looking for. I'm a road guy, so I'll be at the art museum by 9am the next saturday that I'm in town. Will have my handlebar streamers, mirror and spoke cards ready to go, too.

Thanks for the info.
    Fights begin, finger prints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated.

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to the many museum based rides. Back when I lived in philly, it was a nice time to ride along the river from the museum to manayunk, 7-8 miles each way. From manayunk its pretty easy to get on the path to valley forge, 14-17 miles each way.

The museum to manayunk stretch is fairly populated so its probably better used as a warm up / down situation than hard riding. The round trip from the museum to valley forge has great views and its pretty easy to make a friend for the afternoon and get a nice chat going. The real hard core dudes looking to train and not be bothered take other routes so donít be afraid to approach a rider and see if they want a riding buddy for the day. I met a wide variety of great people on the bike traveling to VF.

Post Thanks / Like

Philly Bike Club has zillions for all levels. On the chance that you're not as hard core as some of the rides already mentioned, here's a bunch more to choose from. Most leave from within the city:

http://www.phillybikeclub.org/newbcp/rides/calendar

The path out to Manyunk and then out to Valley Forge (where it changes over to the Perkiomen trail and goes way the hell beyond Valley Forge and up into Montgomery County) is a handy way to get some flat riding in if you don't know where you're going. But much of it is dead boring and, like I said, flat. There are a lot of hills in the area, though, and any of the other rides mentioned should find them.

-Ray