Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ride reports: Sept. 23 - Sept. 29

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ride reports: Sept. 23 - Sept. 29

Out for a couple hours after work with the new headlight. Lucky to get it in as we had rain for most of the day which began to retreat back to the summit until later on last night. Light wind, temps in the high 70s. Enjoyed a nice spin on the ti bike, which is just so nice and comfy to ride, even though it is approaching twenty years old.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ride reports: Sept. 23 - Sept. 29

I finished a 64 week long study yesterday, so this morning I took some time to myself.

Smoke on the water

After a few hours of work....8 steel tubes showed up. After unboxing my new CX bike (thanks sloji), I spent the rest of the afternoon "grading lab reports from home".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got out for a great after work ride.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

un-f'ing-believable day in greenwich. super fun spin with marc around the windmill area in armonk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More from NC with velobran. These were on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Awesome place to ride with an awesome guy to ride with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    More from NC with velobran. These were on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Awesome place to ride with an awesome guy to ride with.
    Nice man. Heading up there in around 3 weeks for the annual MAN Trip. If you need good beer, check these breweries out...

Green Man in Asheville.
    Oskar Blues in Brevard.
    Pisgah Brewing in Black Mountain.

Will be spending some quality time with the MTB's and at the breweries filling growlers everyday post-ride.

Enjoy them hills.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.

- John Muir

The name is Guy Fazzio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perfect weather in our neck of the woods lately. Been extending my commute by a mile or two on each end. The only complaint is that the wind shifts during the day so that I generally have a headwind both ways. Only way to fix that would be to move to the south side.

Bikenerd story- had to drive on Tuesday due to site visits, and sitting in traffic on the way home I was leapfrogging an individual on a tiny, carbon Cannondale cx bike, SRAM Red, Ultimate brakes, the whole nine yards. Now, with SRAM based in Chicago, this isn’t unusual, so I like to look and see what components they’ve chosen, any uber secret prototype wheels, etc. After a mile or two of this I end up at the light next to them, and only then do I realize this stylish person in jeans and Sidis has a flowing blonde ponytail, perfect cheekbones, and laser blue eyes. For you single cats in town, keep an eye out!

No major chores for the weekend, so I am looking fwd to taking full advantage of the weather.

my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solo ride down in Nantahala today. Rode out to Fontana Dam, then over to Tennessee, and back to Nantahala over this nasty little climb on Yellow Creek Road. About 7,500 ft. of climbing and 4:15 of riding. Gotta say, this is way better than work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post work mid-week ride yesterday. Within an hour from my door, I have views of the Pacific - something about seeing the ocean just does it for me everytime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive been riding a bit in the dark now. I got my cheap amazon lights and they do alright. I'm just using one on the bars. I rode out to bluehills the other night and climbed the acces road, this was great at night and I felt pretty good on it, better than I ever had and I fastest I had done. I hung out at top a bit because it was awesome with the sunset and all, the descent was fun, makes me realize why I'd want one on my helmet when on the MTB though.

I rode through the rest of the park and it wasn't too bad, although I had forgotten there were no streetlights in there. I had a moment of panic when I couldn't figure out the safest way back. I didnt think the route through and I wasnt comfortable on dot ave at night, I've had an issue there before. I ended up piecing route together that couldn't have been any better, basically through Mattapan. Somewhere around there I had lowered blacked out car pull up behind me and follow my speed, no other cars around. I got quite freaked out and took a turn into a neighborhood and he didn't follow. I've also had a bad run in there before, so I don't know what I was thinking. For all I know though he could have been just waiting to turn and didn't want to cut me off, but he was on my tail for a while.

942768_1880342848329_364545662_n.jpg
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yesterday:

image-2214214961.jpg

Today:

image-3616950664.jpg

I love this time of year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got an appointment at the doc this morning so I got some time to ride after lunch. Fall is around the corner and it's nice in the woods!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Limited to commuting this week, but having fun on the Spooky nonetheless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got in another great afterwork ride. My 25 minute commute took 85 minutes cause of the closed roads but I made it in time for a ride so that was cool.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After a week sick, I got myself out of the house around noon to try breathing again. Worked pretty well except for the great gobs of stuff I kept hacking up but that's one way to get rid of it. Gray overcast. Could have worn kneewarmers but didn't because. Few people out other than me. I like the winter because it's often just me and the critters. Today saw wild turkey, fox, osprey, big flocks of cormorants, a whole marsh of great egrets, lots of sanderlings and a nice merlin (falcon larger than a kestrel) ripping a blue jay to shreds. Also seems like the deer rut has started, so there are crazed whitetails flying everywhere. Nearly hit one and then it nearly got hit by a car. Keep your head(s) up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished out my trip to NC with a couple more hours this morning. I woke up feeling wrecked from around 25K ft. of climbing this week, so I did an "easy" ride through Nantahala Gorge adding a few thousand more feet. It was cold and foggy and absolutely beautiful, though I was drenched and freezing by the end. After a huge lunch my wife and I did some hiking in the Smokeys and checked out a few waterfalls. This has been an awesome trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I like the winter because it's often just me and the critters. Today saw wild turkey, fox, osprey, big flocks of cormorants, a whole marsh of great egrets, lots of sanderlings and a nice merlin (falcon larger than a kestrel) ripping a blue jay to shreds. Also seems like the deer rut has started, so there are crazed whitetails flying everywhere. Nearly hit one and then it nearly got hit by a car. Keep your head(s) up.
    Exciting day! I love animal sightings when I get to ride in the woods. Today I saw a couple deer, an otter, and this little guy. Much better than the occasional possum or rat I see at home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turtles rule.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An otter! Those are tough, not because they are necessarily uncommon but they are shy about people.

That looks like a terrific trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Exciting day! I love animal sightings when I get to ride in the woods. Today I saw a couple deer, an otter, and this little guy...
    hey, watch who you're calling a guy. She's a lady... [Tom Jones music plays].....
    great photo...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast