Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Reduce your risk of over-use injury on the bike

This is an article worth sharing.

Five ways to reduce your risk of over-use injury on the bike - VeloNews.com

I do those hip strengthening exercises a few times a week, and they've kept me injury free for over a year. Well, those exercises,
    and a bunch of other stuff, but they do work.

This winter has been awesome for skiing, and it's a great way to strengthen different muscle groups and again, do something
    different. I absolutely love cycling, but the reality is that it's terrible for your body if you put on lots of miles. *

* this mostly applies if your over 35 years old. When you're young, you can do anything you want without worrying about injury.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Reduce your risk of over-use injury on the bike

Darren--> Do you have any info or can you point to any reputable articles about high miles being damaging once over 35 years old? Honest question. Are we talking sick mileage...or what? 5K - 7K annual too low to be considered "high"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RickM View Post
    Darren--> Do you have any info or can you point to any reputable articles about high miles being damaging once over 35 years old? Honest question. Are we talking sick mileage...or what? 5K - 7K annual too low to be considered "high"?
    Rick,

There's no question that if you ride around 10,000 miles a year, you need to do a lot of work off the bike to prevent injury. I don't have
    an article on this but I'm sure plenty of people here would agree with me. I know Tom Officer puts in plenty of time at the gym (his basement),
    for example. You're not working your entire body when you're cycling so you're creating a muscle imbalance.

If you're an average hack that rides less than 5,000 a miles a year, it might not matter, but when you start ramping up the miles, or like
    I said, you get older, you need to be more aware of this. When I was under 35, I would ride anywhere from 50-80 miles a day, play about 3-5
    hours of tennis, drink a six pack at night and never stretch.

IMHO it's more important to strengthen your body and do these exercises than actually ride. When you're strong it makes riding, or any athletic
    activity that much more than. I don't go to the gym because I like it, I go because it allows me to xcountry ski for 5 hours, ride a hundred miles,
    or hike 20 miles without any pain.

Cheers
    D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As someone who's dealing with his knee barking at him for ramping up the miles while not stretching and foam rollering and doing the other off-bike work enough this winter, I can attest to this.

Stupid IT bands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenCT View Post
    Rick,

There's no question that if you ride around 10,000 miles a year, you need to do a lot of work off the bike to prevent injury. I don't have
    an article on this but I'm sure plenty of people here would agree with me. I know Tom Officer puts in plenty of time at the gym (his basement),
    for example. You're not working your entire body when you're cycling so you're creating a muscle imbalance.

If you're an average hack that rides less than 5,000 a miles a year, it might not matter, but when you start ramping up the miles, or like
    I said, you get older, you need to be more aware of this. When I was under 35, I would ride anywhere from 50-80 miles a day, play about 3-5
    hours of tennis, drink a six pack at night and never stretch.

IMHO it's more important to strengthen your body and do these exercises than actually ride. When you're strong it makes riding, or any athletic
    activity that much more than. I don't go to the gym because I like it, I go because it allows me to xcountry ski for 5 hours, ride a hundred miles,
    or hike 20 miles without any pain.

Cheers
    D
    ^ This! I am older than you Darren, but your assertion is correct. For overall improved fitness, a variety of activities is crucial. I personally know several folks who ride monster miles(>10K) every year, are over 45, and are constantly battling sickness(weak immune systems), repetitive use injuries, bad backs, constant feeling of fatigue, depression, etc. However, they are strong on the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mgm777 View Post
    ^ This! I am older than you Darren, but your assertion is correct. For overall improved fitness, a variety of activities is crucial. I personally know several folks who ride monster miles(>10K) every year, are over 45, and are constantly battling sickness(weak immune systems), repetitive use injuries, bad backs, constant feeling of fatigue, depression, etc. However, they are strong on the bike.
    And bad backs are often caused by a weak core. I can plank for a few minutes, but am refocusing on core work this year after my lower back muscles were absolutely on fire during the SM100.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenCT View Post
    I absolutely love cycling, but the reality is that it's terrible for your body if you put on lots of miles.*

* this mostly applies if you're over 35 years old. When you're young, you can do anything you want without worrying about injury.
    As an old fart who often looks and feels like Capt. Gallagher's B-17 limping home from a mission in 12-O'Clock High, I concur.

However, just because you're young doesn't mean you're not laying the groundwork for all those "minor" injuries and imbalances to come kick your ass later. You reap what you sow.

So forget that age caveat. Hit the gym, get in the pool, or join that Pilates class and let those middle-aged chubby women kick the crap out of you twice a week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mgm777 View Post
    Well, first off...I wouldn't have pegged Darren for being over 35..so that must be a testament to something he's doing...be it genes, workout, or photoshop. I'm 58 in a few weeks, ride 5-7K miles a year, and don't race. In short...I'm a hack. I'm not a gym rat by nature..I play basketball and squash in the Winter, and do pushups/situps all year. That's it. I only list that crap to highlight my point; At my age...I can see the tunnel at the end of the light, as it were, and as I read a lot of the fitness postings here I've been thinking about what I can/should proactively be doing to keep my old carcass injury-free and moving. It took me years to get my knees back into good working order after a youth spent running marathons and doing a lot of mountaineering. You want bad knees? Run on pavement and do lots of scree field descents with a heavy pack on. Terrible. I don't want to go back there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    So forget that age caveat. Hit the gym, get in the pool, or join that Pilates class and let those middle-aged chubby women kick the crap out of you twice a week.
    We can hang.
    Zuzuís pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that if you ride for health- the stuff off the bike is as important or more important than what you do on the bike.
    I used to race big and ride and much as 20k miles per year. 5 Years of injuries and poor health left me doing less and less and
    more or less sucking on the bike.
    I always used to do a little bit of gym work in the winter but never carried it into riding season.
    Fast forward to about 14 months ago. I was about to have foot surgery so I started back in the gym- full body, squats, deadlifts, etc.
    I kept it going throughout the year. I have rehab'd my body to the point where I can ride as much as I want and actually make gains
    in training.
    I don't plan to stop the gym stuff- ever.
    I currently go to the gym twice per week. I also go to a crossfit-ish class once per week. I say crossfit-ish because the class is for young bike racers so they leave the running parts out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha, ha, Darren's getting old.

Thanks for the share. I agree with TH. There is no minimum age for a well balanced physical routine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RickM View Post
    Well, first off...I wouldn't have pegged Darren for being over 35..so that must be a testament to something he's doing...be it genes, workout, or photoshop.
    I'm betting photoshop. Or hoping photoshop. I'd never have pegged Darren for being older than me.

After my second major injury in 2 years that's kept me limited in what I can do at the gym, but still able to ride I can definitely feel the impact of less weight training and cross training. Not only do I have more aches and pains, but I find that longer rides are less comfortable and it's harder for me to get back my top-end fitness. I'm finally getting back into the gym now and have a long way to go to get back to squats and deads and all the good stuff, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The biggest issue I've had as I have aged into my late 40's is chronic nagging things. Tight ITB are manageable when you are 20 and "strong like bull", but eventually leave to all kinds of hell when you're a middle-aged hack.

I think the thesis of this thread is that being more well-rounded in the key to overall health and is directly linked to cycling as well. I am getting over 6 weeks off the bike from a nagging knee pain that finally hurt enough to make me stop riding. Luckily it was not anything torn, rather a combination of tight hamstrings, tight ITB and a bike fit that was a little off. All of these things can be fixed and 3x/week foam rolling has done wonders for my ITB over the last month. I can't say that it's all milk and cookies, but I'm making progress and am able to regularly train again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good stuff Darren. I've been doing a lot of these (side plank leg lifts) , which were really a struggle at first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wisco View Post
    I think the thesis of this thread is that being more well-rounded in the key to overall health and is directly linked to cycling as well.
    Amen, brother. Another thing to not forget is bone density. We cyclists, what with the lack of impact and focus on body weight, are smack dab in the risk zone for osteoporosis. Men and women.

One of the last places you ever want to shed 100 grams is your spinal column.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...and all that gym work should encourage your body into a better posture off the bike, which is crucial for a decent posture on the bike.

The gym has been my salvation recently, and I already feel like a better rider for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    ...and all that gym work should encourage your body into a better posture off the bike, which is crucial for a decent posture on the bike.

The gym has been my salvation recently, and I already feel like a better rider for it.
    me too..... a winter of working on my core muscles has me feeling so much better, both on and off the bike.
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is my work. All day I see folks who are in their 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's and want to keep doing their sport/recreation. They've been told, "If it hurts, don't do it." But that's not acceptable. It takes a certain amount of fitness to sit for hours on a road bike, to run, or to ski without causing injuries. I try to impress on all of my patients that their home exercise routine is not just until they're better--it's for the rest of their lives. Maintaining flexibility, strength, and joint stability becomes no different than lubing the chain and putting air in the tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ned View Post
    .....They've been told, "If it hurts, don't do it." ....
    But wait, that is WHY we do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Walberg View Post
    But wait, that is WHY we do it.
    There's good pain and bad pain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast