User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red White bibs? La Passione bibs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Red White bibs? La Passione bibs?

Has anyone tried these brands that purport to be high-end stuff at mid-range prices? I've been beating on the same five pairs of Rapha bibs for about five years and they're starting to show it. I can't spend the big bucks for Rapha or Assos right now, even at sale prices. I want what I buy to last and be comfy. I'm not astoundingly picky if the pad and surrounding stitching are nice but robust lycra is a plus.

Champagne taste on a beer budget? Who's tried the Red White or La Passione bibs? I have a couple La Passione jerseys that are holding up nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Red White bibs? La Passione bibs?

I use La Passione bibs. They are standing up to about a year of commuting and laundry abuse pretty well.

I’m sure you can get better bibs, but i can’t imagine needing them. These may not be great, but they are really good. And they are great value.

Just be careful if you order women’s bibs. Apparently they will offer the longer cut soon, but to quote my wife, the existic classic cut is “stupidly short”
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I concur on La Passione, I like their bibs very much and its a sweet spot price point for me. Pay attention to their sizing chart, their fit is on the snug side- I'm 5'10", 32" waist, 160-170lbs depending on the season and stress levels and wear a medium in most brands, Large is perfect for me in the "classic" bibs. I would also look at Voler for a solid non-boutique brand, I have a lot of their stuff as well, their "pro bib" shorts are US made and a really good buy, my go-to for years, same price as the LPs, I wear Medium in these. I admit I've never tried any of the super high end brands, these have always worked fine for me, can't imagine needing anything "better", but I'm pretty easy to fit. Of the 2 brands, I like the cut and material of the LPs just a bit more than Voler, but a sale price on either would tip the decision either way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would throw Albion into the ring. I've been using a set of their standard bibs, which run around the same price-point, for a bit over a year now with a lot of km in them in all weather and they still look new. The chamois is great and the elastic quad bands are as tight as the day I bought them after many washes and a lot of abuse.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

AU DELÀ - curated bike adventures in Southern France

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a couple of LP bibs. Good, same as Rapha. Which for me means good not great. The latest Assos bibs does not seem to last nearly as long as the older stuff. I have worn out a couple of Equipe S7 and still ride S5 that are many years older (even though they are pretty much dying now). I wish F13-S5 were still available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vermarc USA has a sale page that puts their stuff into my affordable range. Good quality stuff IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot depends on the type of riding you do. My LP bibs are fine. A bargain for a decent bib. But at hour 3, 4, 5, etc. they just don't compare to the Rapha Pro Team II bibs. Those, for me, are worth the premium as they hold their shape and the chamois feels great even at hours 6 or 7. But for shorter rides in cooler weather, most anything of decent construction will do the job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found the La Passione jerseys to be too short in the front, and the inseam on the bibs was also too short. I am 6' tall and 148lbs. To get a better fit on the jersey I would have had to size up to a large. That seemed ridiculous. Sizing up on the bibs would have made the pad too easily shifted. I've come to understand that spending money on bibs is totally worth it. Save money on jerseys instead.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to hear everyone's feedback on LP. I might order one pair with them and then try the Red White, which get good reviews. My goal rides for next season are a few tough 200k and 300k brevets and the Alta Alpina challenge, so long distance comfort is a must.

Those of you who are telling me to size up in LP, is bib strap length part of the issue? Bibs that fit me in other respects often are too short. I'm 5'11" and 145 lbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
    Good to hear everyone's feedback on LP. I might order one pair with them and then try the Red White, which get good reviews. My goal rides for next season are a few tough 200k and 300k brevets and the Alta Alpina challenge, so long distance comfort is a must.

Those of you who are telling me to size up in LP, is bib strap length part of the issue? Bibs that fit me in other respects often are too short. I'm 5'11" and 145 lbs.
    I don't know that there's an "issue" really, but I have a proportionately shortish torso, so I guess "it depends". At 145, I think you'd be fine with Medium, straps are comfy enough. I particularly like the LP chamoix and the panels breathe pretty well. Like I said, I've no experience with Rapha, Assos price-point bibs, never felt the need- though my longest rides are rarely more than 7-8 hours max and I avoid those in the mid-summer mid-Atlantic tropical heat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZenNMotion View Post
    I don't know that there's an "issue" really, but I have a proportionately shortish torso, so I guess "it depends". At 145, I think you'd be fine with Medium, straps are comfy enough. I particularly like the LP chamoix and the panels breathe pretty well. Like I said, I've no experience with Rapha, Assos price-point bibs, never felt the need- though my longest rides are rarely more than 7-8 hours max and I avoid those in the mid-summer mid-Atlantic tropical heat.
    I actually sized down to a Small in my LP despite almost every other pair of bibs I own being a Medium. I'm 5'9" and around 150-153 with a long torso and not terribly skinny legs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I actually sized down to a Small in my LP despite almost every other pair of bibs I own being a Medium. I'm 5'9" and around 150-153 with a long torso and not terribly skinny legs.
    Oh shit. I AM fat.... Thanks a lot!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Straps seemed fine, it was the inseam. But I have long legs for my torso. I wear a small in Assos.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    The latest Assos bibs does not seem to last nearly as long as the older stuff. I have worn out a couple of Equipe S7 and still ride S5 that are many years older (even though they are pretty much dying now). I wish F13-S5 were still available.
    I've had many pairs of S5 uno bibs. Usually i'd rotate 3 pairs at a time, and they'd last two seasons before the lycra
    was looking faded across the back where the jersey line comes down. I did many long rides in those shorts, very happy.
    When the supply finally ran out, i switched to the S7 Equipe, which i never really got along with. The fits wasn't as good, and the
    pad wasn't as comfortable. Hated the upper straps. I rode more often in worn out lookin S5 uno's.

This Spring i bought my first pairs of the Rapha Pro Team bib, they have been fantastic. Many of my rides are 4 hrs,
    and I find the pad significantly more comfortable towards the end of the ride than any of the Assos i've had.
    So far, washing them looks good, some sit-bone wear marks in the lycra, but satisfied with them i have had no desire
    to look further.

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a user of La Passione's jersey's and am satisfied and then some with the quality and durability. I have not tried their Bibs as I am a dyed in the wool Boure bibs kinda guy....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    I've had many pairs of S5 uno bibs. Usually i'd rotate 3 pairs at a time, and they'd last two seasons before the lycra
    was looking faded across the back where the jersey line comes down. I did many long rides in those shorts, very happy.
    When the supply finally ran out, i switched to the S7 Equipe, which i never really got along with. The fits wasn't as good, and the
    pad wasn't as comfortable. Hated the upper straps. I rode more often in worn out lookin S5 uno's.

This Spring i bought my first pairs of the Rapha Pro Team bib, they have been fantastic. Many of my rides are 4 hrs,
    and I find the pad significantly more comfortable towards the end of the ride than any of the Assos i've had.
    So far, washing them looks good, some sit-bone wear marks in the lycra, but satisfied with them i have had no desire
    to look further.

-g
    Hum, I have 2 or 3 pairs of Rapha Pro team bib and not super happy with them fit wise for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hum, I have 2 or 3 pairs of Rapha Pro team bib and not super happy with them fit wise for some reason.
    The radio pocket in the back probably isn't big enough for your wallet.
    joking aside, are they the current pro team II model?
    I didn't try the previous version.

-g

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post

Not for me. I’m 6’1”. According to their sizing table that makes me an extra large in bibs. They inluded a model and were kind enough to tell you how big he was and what size he was wearing. Which was just as well as he had ignored the size chart.

I did too. Went down a size to a large. No issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    The radio pocket in the back probably isn't big enough for your wallet.
    joking aside, are they the current pro team II model?
    I didn't try the previous version.

-g
    No, I think they are the older pro-team.... Maybe I should give the new ones a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I think they are the older pro-team.... Maybe I should give the new ones a try.
    if you're near a clubhouse, i'd try on a pair.
    The construction looks quite different from the previous generation.

-g

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast