User Tag List

Thread: Recovered stolen bike..scene from COPS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Recovered stolen bike..scene from COPS

My oldest son was on his daily run this evening when he spotted his bike that was stolen last September...with two street dudes sitting on a bench on the B-line trail in Bloomington. He texted me about his discovery and said that he was going to hang out within sight of the bench and call the cops...could I send him the police report that we filed, along with the bike’s SN and police registration numbers, as he had registered the bike in Athens, Ohio and Bloomington, Indiana, each time when he started school.

The cops show up on the scene, my son describes the bike and shares the police report and the SN, confident that it was his old Specialized MTB...it has a light bronze anodized finish that they tried to remove from the top tube...the kid has great eyesight as he’s an Optometry graduate student...not a good night for street dude. The cop said that if the numbers match, that “he’s the luckiest SOB in Bloomington”...he was.

Street dude was in jail when the bike was stolen according to the cop and he was just released from jail again a month ago, but he bought it from a friend downtown a few months back...couldn’t remember the friend’s name...right. The cop asked my son if he wanted to press charges and he told the cop and the dude, “Well if he didn’t steal it, why would I do that? I just want the bike back and tell your friend who’s name that you can’t remember to go eff himself.”

The highlight of the tale is that someone replaced the old grips with decent grips and a “Don’t be a dick” sticker was placed on the down tube by the street dude.
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Recovered stolen bike..scene from COPS

It's very on-brand for an optometry student to not seek eye-for-an-eye justice....but it's still a sign of good character at a young age.
    Kirk MRB

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great story!

Same happened to me a few years ago. Was walking our dog with my son when a guy rode by on my stolen bike. I took off in pursuit at a distance until he stopped at the local grocery, parked and locked the bike. The bike was stolen because I'd left it out front of the exact same grocery without locking it, but my ulock was still on the bike! So I simply locked the bike with my lock (key was still on my ring) and waited at a distance until the guy returned. He unlocked his, immediately noticed the 2nd lock was now attached, dropped everything and took off fast!

Rode my bike home and still laugh when I think about it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JSL View Post
    Great story!

Same happened to me a few years ago. ... and still laugh when I think about it
    I'd laugh too. THAT was funny!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great story. Gotta like it when the good guy wins.
    But the irony of the sticker... priceless.
    Rick Stubblefield

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A friend was heading out for a drink after a performance by the Springfield Symphony. It was raining, he was carrying an umbrella for his lady friend, with an older gent in tow as well. He sees someone pedal by, up the left side of the road, on a titanium Litespeed that he knows is (was) in the back of his station wagon in the parking garage.

He hands his umbrella to the older gent, "Please give me a minute." Despite leather-soled shoes on wet pavement, he runs down the bike thief and tackles him from behind. Thief takes off (tail between his legs, having just been laid out by a 60-year-old in a tweed jacket and silk tie). Nightcap is called off. Friend walks his lady friend and the Litespeed back to the parking garage where his rear window has been smashed.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 1 Week Ago at 11:13 AM.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a quality thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh, i got one:

couple years ago, daughter left her birthday gift Trek city bike (from grandma who got it used at the local shop) on the porch unlocked and got it pinched. She was sobbing, grandma was unhappy, we're driving all over town for hours looking for it, nothing.

3 days later, the 6 foot tall gentleman who ended up with my daughter's bike (who was 5'1" at the time) comes riding RIGHT PAST MY HOUSE as i sit on the front porch waiting for a phone call. I mean, this dude looked like he was humping a football.

A friendly conversation later ("Whose bike is this?" "it's not mine." "Well why are you riding it?" "It's not my bike..." and so on and forth) we agreed that a) he received the bike from a friend, b) we neither remembered nor needed said friend's name, and c) that I would repossess the bike.

still own that damn bike. People who steal kids' bikes are the worst.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I worked at one of two bike shops in town back in college. Shop was on an industrial kind of street and there was an electrician next door. The son of the owner of the electrician's shop had a really bright green Haro bmx. It was the only one like it in town. Well somebody steals the bike. One day about a week later, I'm in the showroom, talking to a customer and some idiot rides the bike right down the street in front of the shop. Kid from next door was in the shop, he was always there. I excused myself from the customer for a moment and let the kid know his bike just rolled by. He and the shop owner took off and chased him down and got it back. Idiot thief to ride a highly recognizable bike past a bike shop.
    Kyle Olson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My son was in his second year of law school at CUNY, located in Long Island city. During a break from class, he and a friend we’re looking out the 10th floor window at the park across the street, where their bikes were locked up. They watched a bike thief roll up, cut the locks on his friends bike, and start to takeoff. A mad sprint down the stairwell to street level was too slow to keep the thief in sight. Demoralized, the friend was resigned to walking home after the school day. On my sons way home from school, he recognized his friends bike, locked up to a light post with two other rides, a few blocks away. A quick trip home for some bolt cutters and he freed the recently enslaved, stolen bike, from its new owner. New York City at its finest.
    Rody Walter
    Groovy Cycleworks...Custom frames with a dash of Funk!
    Website - www.groovycycleworks.com
    Blog - www.groovycycleworks.blogspot.com
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Groov...s/227115749408

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had this very thing happen once - the mechanic who sold me the bike called me at work to let me know he saw it outside a temp agency ("I know every Bianchi in this town because I sold every one of them.") He met me over there with the sales receipt book, we confirmed SN with the police who were preparing to cut the lock when the new rider came out, asking what we were doing to his bike. The police tried their level-best to be sympathetic, they gave the guy every opportunity to walk away with this just being in his possession. Guy was a real knucklehead though - kept insisting he'd owned it for years, bought it from Sears, even when presented with the evidence.
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A friend of mine was loading up to go to a race a few years back. He lived in downtown Columbus and after loading the bike on the roof rack ran back into his house to grab some other item. He came back out and his bike was gone. Fast forward 2 years. We're hanging out at a cross race and he gets a phone call form a shop. Somebody brought his stolen bike in for a tune up. It still had the SRM and tubulars on it. He was pretty stoked to get it back.