Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendations Needed: Cycling shorts and pads/chamois

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Recommendations Needed: Cycling shorts and pads/chamois

Quote Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
    Lots of talk about "shorts" in this thread. I just hope we are all using this term as shorthand for bibshorts. Friends don't let friends ride in "shorts."
    I have noticed a relative dearth of regular shorts compared to bib shorts. Never worn any bibs and trying a pair is frightening! What gives?

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of talk about "shorts" in this thread. I just hope we are all using this term as shorthand for bibshorts. Friends don't let friends ride in "shorts."
    I'm one of those odd ones who hates bibshorts. And it frustrates the heck out of me that so many makers don't even make shorts.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    I have noticed a relative dearth of regular shorts compared to bib shorts. Never worn any bibs and trying a pair is frightening! What gives?
    More comfortable around the midsection, more belly breathing space, stay in position better and thus keep the pad where it is supposed to be better.

Disadvantages are that tall skinny guys get shorter shoulder straps in some brands because the designers assume thinner means shorter. And shorter straps can be fatiguing, tend to encourage slouching on the bike, and possibly contribute to hand numbness due to pressure on the shoulder area. Eventually though the straps stretch and problems go away.

Reverse is also true - short big guys get long shoulder straps because designers assume bigger means taller. That's more easily fixed though by cutting the straps, shortening them and sewing them back together.
    Last edited by j44ke; 4 Days Ago at 02:49 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like

For me, it doesn't matter the sizing -- my lower back goes all achy within 30 minutes in any kind of bibs (bib shorts, even bib tights over shorts).
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like

While I might be the least qualified person to add to the thread- why let prudence reign? I love my nicer bibs and can't stand to wear my shorts anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    More comfortable around the midsection, more belly breathing space, stay in position better and thus keep the pad where it is supposed to be better.

Disadvantages are that tall skinny guys get shorter shoulder straps in some brands because the designers assume thinner means shorter. And shorter straps can be fatiguing, tend to encourage slouching on the bike, and possibly contribute to hand numbness due to pressure on the shoulder area. Eventually though the straps stretch and problems go away.

Reverse is also true - short big guys get long shoulder straps because designers assume bigger means taller. That's more easily fixed though by cutting the straps, shortening them and sewing them back together.

I've decided to try some bib shorts, specifically the Aero Tech Top Shelf units. My height/weight/width aspect ratios are "regular" so I figure the potential bib problems won't materialize. Although it's been nearly 20 years since I used proper cycling shorts I recall being mildly annoyed with the pressure generated by the elastic waistbands. Yup, I'm a progressive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
    I'm one of those odd ones who hates bibshorts. And it frustrates the heck out of me that so many makers don't even make shorts.
    Glad to see someone in this camp. I will not say that I hate bibs, but am definitely not in the "once you try bibs you'll never go back to shorts" camp, either, not by a long shot. I'm reasonably thin, so waist band doesn't bother me; have fairly long torso on short legs, so the bands of bibs are not super tight, but a little bit. I live in the friggin humid, hot south, and having an extra layer running all the way up my back and some in the front is rarely welcome. They are a pain in the butt to take a quick pee, at least with my fit in pearl & castelli and a couple others over the years. I currently now own more bibs than shorts but am somewhere in the 50/50 or 60/40 preference of one over the other.

Now, if you really want to know what I hate: diaper chamois! anything thick enough to make we feel like my seat has been raised a half cm is out. Will always prefer a minimal pad over the maxi pad. I'm the same way with bar tape. 2 layers of squishy sh*t is not what I'm looking for. There is something to be said for road feel, and unless I'm stuck on chip seal or other crap surfaces, I'll stick with the thin stuff. rant over

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    Now, if you really want to know what I hate: diaper chamois! anything thick enough to make we feel like my seat has been raised a half cm is out. Will always prefer a minimal pad over the maxi pad.
    Truth. This is the primary reason why I would never consider buying bib shorts from Rapha. The recent iteration of the Pro Team bibs is much, much better on this front, but probably still a bit too thick. That and you can find competing products that are even better...and 2/3rd's the price or less.

Post Thanks / Like

My 2009 Assos Mille bibshorts with the older S5 chamois are still every bit as good as the day I purchased them [**qualification**] they are hand washed after every ride and drip dried in the shade. The lycra on the 2009 purchased pair is ever so slightly fading to brown now but the chamois is still excellent so investment warranted......

I also have the newer Assos S7 chamois bib shorts in the Mille style (or what ever model Assos have decided to call the current endurance models now) - these are equally as comfortable in the chamois but the shoulder straps are not quite as smooth as the older style.

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose I should wait until I have some hundreds of miles on them but I don't think it's necessary in this case.

After a short ride with the Aerotech top shelf bibs, I discovered how much I like not having an elastic waistband. I wear light over-shorts or knickers over whatever cycling pad stuff I'm wearing and so it made even more sense to have just one thing compressing my waist. So my verdict is in: I tried on a pair of conventional cycling shorts and I like the bibs much more.

Thanks for the information.

Post Thanks / Like

Good man. The only rationale decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Good man. The only rationale decision.
    And mission creep begins. I'm going to look at the Elite pad in the same bib. I think the slightly firmer pad elastomer might be more a bit more comfortable. It worth finding out and now is the time. No question about prefering the bib though.