User Tag List

Thread: Recommend a touch up painter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Recommend a touch up painter?

Any recommendations for a touch up painter??? Short story-I was at a bike race and was holding a pals bike, leaned it up against a pole and it took a dive... knicked the top tube. About the size of an eraser or smaller-I felt like a shit head. One of those things-itís an aluminum Trek Al6 with some sorta purple blue flip floppy paint.

I said I would get it touched up for him-

But holy shit! So far he said the cheapest quote he has gotten is $975 plus shipping and insuranceóthat seems nuts to me-hell Iím sure I could buy him a new frame for that

Anyway-any recommendations so I can get this done and stop thinking about it???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Recommend a touch up painter?

Wo. That is crazy as the complete 2019 frameset is $799 and the 2020 is $999!
    Yash Katsumi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buy him some beers, tell him the first scratch is always the hardest one to handle and offer him to buy him back for an honest price when he plans to part from it. If it is not your size surely you will be able to give it to some junior or friend. I can understand you feel sorry for that but mistakes happens. I would never ask anyone to pay anything for such a non-event.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a RACE bike, jayzuz!--as in, a bike that was used in an event with safety pins, bumping is racin' and all that... Shit happens, is he a prima dona (so, need better friends- invite him in here for a run through the VS gauntlet if he's being pissy) Or are you just feeling guilty (bottle of nail polish in a curated color and a six pack of something nice seems proportionate to your crime)? And stop thinking about it.

Climate change!!! feel better now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s hard for me to say on this one-as in material objects don’t mean much.. anything I have is out there to be used.. bikes are tools for the job-I have nice bikes, I loan them out frequently and understand the inherent risks.. short of fucking them up on purpose, I doubt I would ever complain. Hell, I would let anyone use anything I have, and do.. but that is me.. if it were mine I wouldn’t think twice about it.

But, it ain’t.... it’s his, and he seems like the kinda guy that washes water bottles after every ride, he often smells of laundry detergent... the pharmacist type.. so I would like to do right by him I guess..

If it is going to cost $1000 to get it painted I would just buy him another frame-which I offered. He then thought, ‘cool, then I could have 2 bikes.’ I thought I could get the knicked frame and give it away or something—apparently not what he thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    It’s hard for me to say on this one-as in material objects don’t mean much.. anything I have is out there to be used.. bikes are tools for the job-I have nice bikes, I loan them out frequently and understand the inherent risks.. short of fucking them up on purpose, I doubt I would ever complain. Hell, I would let anyone use anything I have, and do.. but that is me.. if it were mine I wouldn’t think twice about it.

But, it ain’t.... it’s his, and he seems like the kinda guy that washes water bottles after every ride, he often smells of laundry detergent... the pharmacist type.. so I would like to do right by him I guess..

If it is going to cost $1000 to get it painted I would just buy him another frame-which I offered. He then thought, ‘cool, then I could have 2 bikes.’ I thought I could get the knicked frame and give it away or something—apparently not what he thought.
    Hopefully you get it sorted out. One thing's clear for sure, though. You're a solid, stand up guy.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Size of an eraser? Race bike? Mass produced alloy frame? The closest auto touch up paint or nail polish for less than ten bucks should be more than enough to accompany your apology and a beer.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You welded somebody's door shut cause they didn't pay their bills? I think your friend should be grateful you don't show them how big an eraser can be... like chalkboard eraser big. I get you feel bad about it but if it were me and my bike I'd say thanks, buy me a little bottle of paint and some 400 grit and I'm good. I'd be an a-hole and make it a point of telling you that you couldn't hang on to my bike no more but jeezis looking for a full repaint for something I could have easily caused myself... screw them, man, you don't need friends like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...If it is going to cost $1000 to get it painted I would just buy him another frame-which I offered. He then thought, ‘cool, then I could have 2 bikes.’ I thought I could get the knicked frame and give it away or something—apparently not what he thought.
    Please tell me he was kidding, this guy is your friend? How long have you known this guy, what's the basis of the friendship? "Doing right" and being completely bent over are two very different things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve ridden and raced for 26 years-I’ve been around enough to see these guys come and go.. bikes are bikes and I am a bike guy. But that doesn’t mean everyone feels like I do, the beauty of it all.

Still doesn’t mean it isn’t ‘his’ bike.. I said I would and I will.

Funny how this happened-an aside

My girlfriend was doing the state crit a couple of weeks ago-obviously I was there-last lap was going to be a sprint for the Jersey.. I didn’t have a phone or camera to take a pic, so I asked him to take a pic.. he knows her, I think he has or at least had a ‘crush’ on her... he said sure, hold my bike.. I did and leaned it against a post to to watch the finish—-

I did it-it was on me

If he will let me have the frame for a week I will take care of it and promise he won’t tell the difference.. I’m a metalworker and an old body shop turd. But, he needs to be happy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would just buy him another frame-which I offered. He then thought, ‘cool, then I could have 2 bikes.’ I thought I could get the knicked frame and give it away or something...
    This is the way it SHOULD work- if you can't locate a painter that can do the work for less than the cost of a new frame, then buy him a new frame. You get the old frame to do with as you please, which I would sell to recover some of your costs. It's not his right to make a profit off of this deal.

I think some insurance claims work much the same way; they pay for the value of the damaged goods and take possession of them.

I knicked a friend's carbon fork once and offered to get him a new fork or a full repaint, so I know where you're coming from albeit at a lower price point.

You're doing the proper thing by offering a repaint or replacement. If he wants both items, he's not a real friend.

Let us know how this turns out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it ain't about the paint chip. He's after your girlfriend. One chip at a time.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't that what stickers are for?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check your pm's. Nevermind....your inbox is full.

See if Jena Cook can do it. She's semi-local for you and was painting frames a while back. Not sure if she's still doing it. If that doesn't work just weld his doors up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW-he is a super nice guy, donít want it to seem like he isnít-

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeefCheeks View Post
    Check your pm's. Nevermind....your inbox is full.

See if Jena Cook can do it. She's semi-local for you and was painting frames a while back. Not sure if she's still doing it. If that doesn't work just weld his doors up.
    Thx for the reminder-I forgot she did that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another way to look at the issue: if he caused the small chip would he pay for a $1000 repaint or a new frame? Very doubtful.
    "The older I get the better I was" Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are a stand-up mo-fo in my book.

Chester in Chicago if you'd rather job it but quick turn around was never his thing. Might be now that I think he is only doing fix-it resto work.

"I got a girlfriend she's better than that
    And nothing is better than this (is it?)"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try an auto paint store that mixes custom touch up, many do. Bob's Paint Land in my city has never let me down--their mixers squint at the frame with a light gun in hand, work on it like mad scientists. Ask around to see where car nuts go. And for an AL race bike, sheesh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes it is worth taking a few unfortunate financial lumps to preserve a friendship if your pal loved the bicycle?