User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebecca Twigg now -

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rebecca Twigg now -

I've heard the rumors for years but finally today read a news article that speaks to it.

Sad really.

I don't know what to feel so soon after reading the words.

What an Olympic medalist, homeless in Seattle, wants you to know | The Seattle Times

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rebecca Twigg now -

I just finished that article a few minutes ago. Floored. I remember seeing her at the nat's TT in Seattle years back.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for posting this, Richard. It is sad for sure, but she's family and we should hear her out. I'm glad she's still alive.

I'm not qualified to diagnose anyone for anything, but she seems troubled. If there's a V Salon effort to help her - if that's even possible - whoever organizes it please make it known.

I thought I'd finished counting my blessings for the day. I was wrong. There but for the grace of, well, something.
    -Jasper

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Boy, that's a sobering story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was happy, relatively, to see Mary’s Place mentioned in the article. My wife is a regular donor: Mary's Place

It’s a good thing to consider now while we work on even better ideas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That story is so sad. I remember watching her race in Nevada City and then reading about her academic accomplishments. Something sure went wrong.
    Last edited by dpcompt; 3 Days Ago at 12:47 PM. Reason: correction

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something isn't clicking right in her somehow. Her conflicted feelings about receiving housing when there are others who are more desperate, and then discussing systemic/political/governmental issues rather than how she is going to get from where she is to a better place. Admittedly this is a very limited view of an obviously complex person in the article, but it is almost like she is trying to become invisible.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not qualified to diagnose anyone but I do agree with what Inga says in the article. Some people, probably many people, are remarkable within one system and lost in others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunate story. Fingers crossed she gets on her feet.
    Rebecca Twigg will hopefully become well again very soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tough story, without doubt. Seattle is notoriously expensive and it appears she struggles with issues beyond that. I hope she can find her way. She was an inspiration to me and many other riders through the 1980s.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King Of Dirk View Post
    Thank you for posting this, Richard. It is sad for sure, but she's family and we should hear her out. I'm glad she's still alive.

I'm not qualified to diagnose anyone for anything, but she seems troubled. If there's a V Salon effort to help her - if that's even possible - whoever organizes it please make it known.

I thought I'd finished counting my blessings for the day. I was wrong. There but for the grace of, well, something.
    Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    I was happy, relatively, to see Mary’s Place mentioned in the article. My wife is a regular donor: Mary's Place

It’s a good thing to consider now while we work on even better ideas.
    Like many here, she was a large figure of the cycling community when I was making my way into the cycling world.
    The article that Richard linked is really well done. It is not just a down-and-out story.

Evidently she is not interested in individual help:
    “Shelters are great, but there has to be a next step,” Twigg said. She still won’t accept housing for herself, even when help is offered by people who’ve found out about her state; her homelessness was mentioned in a cycling magazine last month.

“The point is not so much that I need help, it’s that there are a bunch of people who need help — 12,000 in this area, half a million in the country,” Twigg said. “Help should be provided for everybody, not just a few.”
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't find her story strange at all. Working in academia, I can think of several people who share one or more components of her story and/or outlook.

Just because you're a hard worker doesn't mean you're going to be successful in a highly structured work environment.

Just because you understand how social structures work doesn't mean you're going to be able to make those structures work to your advantage.

Just because you exist doesn't mean your own personal existence is all that interesting.

The sorts of compassion and even radical self-denial she's practiced would likely be laudable within a variety of religious traditions.

The only obvious problem I see, at least as the article describes her situation, is that she lacks regular shelter and seems to have gotten sick as a result. If her attitudes or beliefs have a direct connection to her now lacking shelter, perhaps that's on all of us as a society.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    I've heard the rumors for years but finally today read a news article that speaks to it.

Sad really.

I don't know what to feel so soon after reading the words.

What an Olympic medalist, homeless in Seattle, wants you to know | The Seattle Times

Thank you for this. I debated whether to post it here. Rebecca's (14y/o) first quarter at UW was my last quarter here in Seattle. She was a brilliant both on and off the bike, seems if she was studying or riding she was okay. I know her first bike shop sponsor here and he would talk about taking care of her both off and on his team, and there was always a guarded silence. Her sporting and social dealings were reported episodically by the press and then she would again disappear. Many thought she left cycling to enjoy academic/scientific pursuits, as well as having a family. I was floored by this article when I opened the front page of the Seattle Times. I took forever to get myself back together to get to work this morning.

Seattle has been deep in the conversation of homelessness but recently the loudest contingent has been those who point to our lax treatment of those "campers" that have come in from around the country to take up spots along the freeway over/underpasses and are, with impunity, involved in criminal/drug activity. It is unfortunate that Twigg would come back to our consciousness with these difficulties, but it may prove to have a more positive outcome for both her and the city.
    Kevin Grady
    Chi va piano, va sano e va lontano.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bewheels View Post
    Evidently she is not interested in individual help:
    Good for her. We need more people worried about everyone, not just themselves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay. Since I can't help everyone I won't help anyone. Sounds great.
    -Jasper

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've not spent much time studying other hobby/sport/lifestyle call it whatever but what is it about cycling(racing) and I mean at the elite to pro level be it as an athlete or support(lots meaning here, coaches, mechanics, FBs...) that makes for, as Inga says, unemployables? Myself not withstanding...

I guess too much time unemployed?
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crumpton View Post
    I've not spent much time studying other hobby/sport/lifestyle call it whatever but what is it about cycling(racing) and I mean at the elite to pro level be it as an athlete or support(lots meaning here, coaches, mechanics, FBs...) that makes for, as Inga says, unemployables? Myself not withstanding...

Aside from the fact that spending your 20s traveling around the country / world necessarily precludes you from graduating med school and locking in highly secure, well-paying job for the rest of your life, I'm not sure there's anything that separates cyclists from the general population. Some people are good at handling the transition into adulthood and self-sufficiency, some people are not. It can depend a lot on personal attributes, support structures, and luck. I suspect you just notice it more in fellow cyclists.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crumpton View Post

Is it institutionalisation? Elite sport is a bubble. People find the transition to 'normal' life hard. Some people manage fine and some don't, particularly those who have certain personality characteristics that enable them to succeed.

Homelessness is a very scary and unfortunate facet of modern life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Is it institutionalisation? Elite sport is a bubble. People find the transition to 'normal' life hard. Some people manage fine and some don't, particularly those who have certain personality characteristics that enable them to succeed.

Homelessness is a very scary and unfortunate facet of modern life.
    I see this quite a lot in Colorado - the lifestyle bros who spend their 20s ski bumming, hiking, climbing, etc. Then hit their 30s and pretty much do the same thing, but the dreams fade. Then comes 40 and beyond and they are still trying to live the life, but the bros in their 20s now look at them as relics and pitiful. I've talked to more of these dudes then I can count that regret the lifestyle of recreation that got them to a point of limited to no options at 40+. I certainly see how one could get caught up in it as a young adult and then find it difficult to leave until it's too late.

It appears as if Ms. Twigg has other issues contributing to her current situation. I'm not sure her past cycling career has much to do with it.
    Best Regards,

Jason Curtis
    FoCo, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds platitude, but the Dylan line from Idiot Wind:
    "One day you'll be in the ditch
    Flies buzzin' around your eyes