Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rebecca Twigg now -

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rebecca Twigg now -

Sad to hear. She was an inspiration to many.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew her, saw her most days as she would come into the shop and chat up us adoring shop dudes who would lovingly polish her bike we polished yesterday and clean and lube the chain again, she would beam as we would refer to her as "Your Thigh-ness"

She was vibrant, super intelligent, witty and of course beautiful.

But she's also one of the many I've seen fall by the wayside - I've got a lot of dead friends and lost many to addiction or mental illness or a combo thereof.

Lesson being I guess it can happen to anyone.

That's one thing about the Bike Industry - it'll flush you right now for the next best thing, it sure will.

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    I see this quite a lot in Colorado - the lifestyle bros who spend their 20s ski bumming, hiking, climbing, etc. Then hit their 30s and pretty much do the same thing, but the dreams fade. Then comes 40 and beyond and they are still trying to live the life, but the bros in their 20s now look at them as relics and pitiful. I've talked to more of these dudes then I can count that regret the lifestyle of recreation that got them to a point of limited to no options at 40+. I certainly see how one could get caught up in it as a young adult and then find it difficult to leave until it's too late.
    It depends on how much money/support is in the background. If your family has some money or you've got a back-up place to live, then (assuming no massive health payment catastrophe or drug issues or health problems) you'll be OK. If you have no money or support in the background, then you can be in deep trouble if the slightest thing goes wrong.

It's the difference between being young with no money but if disaster comes your parents will help you out. A lot of us were like that at times. Versus the same financial situation but no safety net. Both may look like "poverty" but only the latter is real.

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    It appears as if Ms. Twigg has other issues contributing to her current situation. I'm not sure her past cycling career has much to do with it.
    Yeah

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there're more people around us who have been or are homeless than we realize, because there's a lot of shame involved so people keep quiet. I worked with a guy who was living in a shelter for many months while working - he had no savings, no people to fall back on, so getting into housing was hard. I don't think most people at work knew this.

And there's at least one current racer in the NYC scene who was homeless for awhile (before starting racing). While working I think. Slept outside a little.

Where my mom lives there are people who are seasonally homeless - they can find housing in the "off season" but in summers when rents are high they couch surf and live in their cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jt10000 View Post
    I think there're more people around us who have been or are homeless than we realize, because there's a lot of shame involved so people keep quiet. I worked with a guy who was living in a shelter for many months while working - he had no savings, no people to fall back on, so getting into housing was hard. I don't think most people at work knew this.

And there's at least one current racer in the NYC scene who was homeless for awhile (before starting racing). While working I think. Slept outside a little.

Where my mom lives there are people who are seasonally homeless - they can find housing in the "off season" but in summers when rents are high they couch surf and live in their cars.
    Uhhhh........

This was me for around two decades.

Only difference between a homeless guy and a bike tourist is how much $$$$ you got access to.

it took me many years to realize this.

My biggest fear has always been ending up under a highway bridge forever.

Does good for work ethic, however.
    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12