Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Real world finished steel frame weights

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Real world finished steel frame weights

I was curious about real measured weights on some of the steel frames out there. You read alot of weights for different tubesets on different bikes but I know there alot of variables involved, obviously size of frame size of tubing where the butts where cut, and if the frame was made of mixed tubing. I'm not reslly interested in if someone doesn't care what there steel bike weighs, because let's be honest everyone cares a little at some point in everyone's mind a frame would be too heavy. So if you know the weight of your frame or frame and fork please post it. If you remember please post approximate size of bike and also supposed tubeset ie pegorichie, spirit, ox platinum 853 etc..

My personal lightest steel frame was a 55cm top tube 140cm head tube bianchi pinella supposedly had deda tubes I believe 16.5 eom and it weighed 1450 for frame no headset

Seven resolute with their origin tugging was bigger in a 58stx56.5tt with a 200ht it weighed about 2000 grams frame and Chris king headset.

I just weighed a 2012 59cm bianchi vigorelli frame 57.5tt and 175ht and fork 631 tubing with an athena crank attached at 8 lbs that throws me for a loop. I mean if you deduct 828 grams for crank and bb you get 2800 grams the fork is a carbon with alloy steerer which I'm guessing weighs 600 grams max so a 2200 gram frame and headset minimum sounds heavy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Real world finished steel frame weights

I've got a Surly Crosscheck that weighs ~270,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 grams. Without headset.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chancerider View Post
    I've got a Surly Crosscheck that weighs ~270,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 grams. Without headset.
    I think my 54cm Cross Check (2013 model) comes in at 270,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,050 grams, but that includes headset and linseed oil protection against cancer of the tubes.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bantamben View Post
    I'm not reslly interested in if someone doesn't care what there steel bike weighs, because let's be honest everyone cares a little at some point in everyone's mind a frame would be too heavy.
    Must be a no man then. I've had at least 20 different steel frames over the past ten years and never once thought to weigh one. I'm not really interested if you don't care that I don't care.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just for the heck of it, I weighed a frame last night that I just finished for myself.

Big bike--65/62, 230mm HT, mix of tubing, for road riding. 35DT, 31.8ST/TT. Fillet brazed.

Just a few ounces over 4 pounds for the frame. For a 6'6", 250lb rider, seems pretty reasonable. Not once did I think about shaving grams when I was building it, and I made a bunch of choices (seat tube sleeve, beefy DT) to optimize the feel and durability.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In all honesty, I have never weighed a bike. Frameset or complete. So no idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you ask for a roll call of steel frame weights it makes me a little grumpy. I know for a fact that the builders are churning out complete steel race worthy bikes that weight 17 lbs and less.

This is important to you, so I'm not waving my hands saying it's BS. Just understand that in my world almost nobody cares.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
    Just for the heck of it, I weighed a frame last night that I just finished for myself.

Big bike--65/62, 230mm HT, mix of tubing, for road riding. 35DT, 31.8ST/TT. Fillet brazed.

Just a few ounces over 4 pounds for the frame. For a 6'6", 250lb rider, seems pretty reasonable. Not once did I think about shaving grams when I was building it, and I made a bunch of choices (seat tube sleeve, beefy DT) to optimize the feel and durability.
    That sounds pretty light actually sub 1900 on that big of frame.
    Thanks for reply and adding to thread.

I know some people aren't interested in steel frame weights but it's always funny when they still have to add there non constructive thoughts to a thread. This is America though but please if you don't care go post on other threads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is America though but please if you don't care go post on other threads.
    It's actually not necessarily America.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know some people aren't interested in steel frame weights but it's always funny when they still have to add there non constructive thoughts to a thread. This is America though but please if you don't care go post on other threads.
    This isn't America, this is Velocipede Salon.

But here are a a couple constructive thoughts for you:

• Weight is just one specific attribute of a frame. In isolation it does not matter one whit.
    • Comparing bicycle frames by weighing them is deeply unimportant.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Agree 100% that weight is a very small, relatively unimportant factor in the whole bike—or the whole riding experience. If anything, I think the point is that with modern steel tubing it's possible to be weight-comparable to at least aluminum and Ti without making any silly tubing choices that will compromise durability.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I had to remind someone once, we may be inside "America", but this is not a democracy. It's someone else's sandbox. Oh, and many posters here are not in the US or America. Even some Canadians (also in America) with their severe communist tendencies have been permitted to play in this sandbox.

I have no idea what my Zanconato or my Pacenti or my Serotta CIII weigh. They are all just great fun to ride. And the Pacenti at least is actually pretty freaking light. All steel and all great.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The number should be what does the frame and you weigh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a scale in the garage. The last time I used it was to weigh my brother's old Specialized Expedition. Forget what the number was, but it was somewhere around 29-32lb., unloaded.

Ride whatever you want and don't worry about it.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bantamben, I think you're lost...may I suggest you redirect to RoadBikeReview: cycling gear and road bike reviews, forums, and classifieds. In the meantime, there's good treatment for OCD out there; maybe start with an SSRI.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, who's gonna buy me beer if I walk around the Denver convention center with my Park scale?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

steel frame and caring about frame weight doesn't compute. You get one because it looks cute or for some odd reason* you like the ride of steel.

Just keep in mind that there is a good chance a frame with thin walled steel tubing will break sooner rather than later.....

*kidding

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds pretty light actually sub 1900 on that big of frame.
    Thanks for reply and adding to thread.

I know some people aren't interested in steel frame weights but it's always funny when they still have to add there non constructive thoughts to a thread. This is Earth though but please if you don't care go post on other threads.
    Wow seems like alot of people here are touchy about weight.
    Reason in asking is not to compare builders or companies frame weights. My objective is to get a little glimpse into the relationship of weight as it pertains to building materials (tubesets) and the size of a bike to see the impact of each. That's all and sorry about the America comment that was small minded just a Qoute from caddyshack .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bantamben, some questions you ask on Weight Weenies and some other questions you ask over here.

You gotta pick the right crowd.

Just sayin...second thread of this nature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you'd have better luck with such a question on say, weightweenies. Or maybe move this over to the bicycle tech subforum. After a while you realize that frame weight isn't very important and this forum has a high percentage of people who have gotten to that stage.

edit: beaten by minutes!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast