Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Re-gluing tubulars

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re-gluing tubulars

I bought a set of Easton EC90's tubulars from a top ranked (actually the top ranked) CX Pro. He had a nice set of Dugast Rhinos glued on there. After a season with me I ended up trashing the rear tire. I took the old one off only to find a mess stuck to the rim. Or at least to me, it looks like a mess. I can post pics later but it looks like glue on top of tape on top of glue is still left on the rim.

I was planning on using the Tufo tape and glue method. Should I go ahead and add more of a mess to this rim or is there a way to get this rim cleaned off? I've already tried acetone, putty knife, switchblade, fingernails, etc... None of it is budging.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure this isn't helpful but I use to just put a dry tire on and run down a big hill dragging my brake. It would heat the rim/glue up and 're-glue' the thing. Seeing as I never got more then 400 miles out of a tubular [less then 1 week], I was sick of cleaning/re-gluing the damm things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
    I'm sure this isn't helpful but I use to just put a dry tire on and run down a big hill dragging my brake. It would heat the rim/glue up and 're-glue' the thing. Seeing as I never got more then 400 miles out of a tubular [less then 1 week], I was sick of cleaning/re-gluing the damm things.
    That's just plain scary...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disturbed is one of the best poasters ever! He has about 4 seconds of patience and is willing to totally forsake, personal safety, the safety of others, social ettiquettes and morals to get the quick fix.

TT - You need to get this method into the tubulars wiki.
    we are about to break the surly bonds of gravity and punch the face of God!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

reading between the lines there is some good advice...gently warm the rims with a hair dryer.

OR

bomb the Alps, either way.
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, but how the hell would you get back up it?!

Wait, I see.. he doesn't even add glue. Nothing to actually "set."
    I'm jealous of your mileage, but some folks are better suited for clinchers. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a chuck norris joke in here somewhere...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

During my illustrious USCF "career" I never rolled a tire. Never.

I discovered it by accident after changing a flat during a day of big VT climbs. I got home and went to do my usual hour of meticulously cleaning off the old glue before I meticulously re-glued a new one up. The road replaced tire was stuck as well as any newly glued one could be. 'Anal' doesn't come close to describing how I use to glue up tires.

And, since when did I have "4 seconds of patience"? On Internet forums I have less then 2. Many days none whatsoever.

Anyone that kills themselves after taking my advice can sue me.

As far as my safety.......racing in New England [and a few in the greater Seattle area] with nothing more then a "hair net" and wringing out more then a few bikes that speed/death wobbled to the point of crashing [without any helmet at all], I view "safety" a relative term. That and chains breaking when I sprinted.-

*Proud [and surviving] member of the "unprotected generation".*

Ask me what it's like to hit the ground so hard that [even wearing a MX helmet] you burst a blood vessel in your brain. I know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ask me what it's like to hit the ground so hard that [even wearing a MX helmet] you burst a blood vessel in your brain. I know.
    Holy crap.
    (I think) I would like to know.*

*the morbid curiosity of an ex motocrosser I guess...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Breaking your face hurts.

Meknows...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

And, since when did I have "4 seconds of patience"? On Internet forums I have less then 2. Many days none whatsoever.
    I was trying to be generous.

I'm still cracking up at the thought of a 250 pound TTer on some 80' wheels with 11 spokes.

I cringe at the thought of you regluing those wheels with your downhill method. :omg:
    we are about to break the surly bonds of gravity and punch the face of God!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    I bought a set of Easton EC90's tubulars from a top ranked (actually the top ranked) CX Pro. He had a nice set of Dugast Rhinos glued on there. After a season with me I ended up trashing the rear tire. I took the old one off only to find a mess stuck to the rim. Or at least to me, it looks like a mess. I can post pics later but it looks like glue on top of tape on top of glue is still left on the rim.

I was planning on using the Tufo tape and glue method. Should I go ahead and add more of a mess to this rim or is there a way to get this rim cleaned off? I've already tried acetone, putty knife, switchblade, fingernails, etc... None of it is budging.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
    Funny...I mean Disturbed is hilarious in a tall guy sorta way.

Joey! Make yourself a tool out of some rigid elec. conduit cut in 1/2 or use an old chisel dulled or something! Take a hair dryer or heat gun on low and do what needs doing. You do not have to get it perfect just get the old tape off and level out the lumps. This ain't rocket science. Nice wheels BTW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cracking up and cringing at the same time......you must look like you're having a seizure.

Face OK except for massive TMJ for months.

Actually, I have no idea what hitting the ground was like. To this day I have no memory of the crash. Came around a bit in the first hospital [after coding in the ambulance on the way there] for a few minutes. 90 minute transfer to another hospital seemed to take about 10 minutes.

Waiting for my cat to be scanned I was very lucid at hospital #2. Wished my mother a happy mothers day...

Then.....

...the bleeding continued to put pressure on my brain.

4 days in ICU and a total of 10 days later I left the hospital walking like Frankenstein and talking like I had just finished of a few cases of beer.

At around day 3 in ICU I had such a toxin build up in every muscle that hurt soooooo feking badly, I let the hospital minister come in and "lay hands" on me and pray for relief. That was a first for me.....

24/7 double vision, no balance, slurred speech and all I did for 6 weeks was sleep.

I raced MX 4 months later but my balance was so bad that if I looked up I'd just fall over backwards. Raced the following year quite successfully but in total it was about 8 years to recover as much as I ever have. Balance still ain't what it use to be but I'm back in training at 52 to race next year after a 18 year break from MX.

Moral of story: Shit happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's some pics of the rim surface for anyone who is curious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stop posting those pictures, you're making me horny for cross season.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auk View Post
    Stop posting those pictures, you're making me horny for cross season.
    Oops did I do that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moral of story: Shit happens.
    Dude, you're a tough S.O.B.
    Good luck next year. I think MX is one of those sports that gets under your skin and you never outgrow.
    The 4 stroke revolution will make life easier on you, it did so for me.
    Have fun out there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soBRIquet View Post
    Dude, you're a tough S.O.B.
    Good luck next year. I think MX is one of those sports that gets under your skin and you never outgrow.
    The 4 stroke revolution will make life easier on you, it did so for me.
    Have fun out there!
    Thanks.

I'm to old to switch to a 4T. I'll be racing a CR500 AF. CR500 motor in a 2005 CRF rolling chassis. Riding that makes worrying about tire glue just plain silly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do what Too Tall says. Or get some Goof Off, a respirator, and a pile 'o rags and have at 'er. Make certain to clean the rim with acetone after using the Goof Off as it will leave a residue. Build up a proper bed of glue using Mastik. Use a thick last coat before you put the tire on. Most importantly, stop thinking that the way to glue a cross tire is the same as a road tire. The profile of the tire is different in how it matches the rim bed and the the conditions and forces the tires encounter are different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool, thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast