Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Rapha how I used to love you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rapha how I used to love you

You guys must live in a sort of parralel wealthy mamils raphaland universe because around here most cyclists have never heard of rapha.
    I can't imagine non-cycling people getting interested in cycling because of rapha.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 02-13-2018 at 07:49 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LA is so weird, man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    You guys must live in a sort of parralel wealthy mamils raphaland universe
    I think you just described Sydney's Eastern suburbs *perfectly*.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    LA is so weird, man.
    True dat, girlfriend

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys must live in a sort of parralel wealthy mamils raphaland universe because around here most cyclists have never heard of rapha.
    I can't imagine non-cycling people getting interested in cycling because of rapha.
    Everyone wears Rapha like everyone well I would guess 70% of the road cyclist wear one piece of Rapha clothing. The SF Rapha Club is huge. Groups rides are huge here. Their unofficial gravel ride is consistently the best group ride I know.
    Last edited by joosttx; 02-13-2018 at 08:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, Rapha is my introduction to / way to wear high quality ‘technical’ cycling gear - it fits me, is comfortable, extends my riding to much lower temperatures in reasonable comfort and my wife thinks it looks ok (unlike all my other cycling gear). I am sure other companies innovate better or can produce better gear but I just don’t like it as much/ can’t wear it. The image aspect turned me off Rapha for a long time but I can get over it if I like the gear.

The best example for me is the classic winter jacket in yellow (or Chartreuse in Rapha speak) - the look reminded me of a Decente jacket I used in the early 90’s but the jacket is far better in all aspects. The technology for clothing has come on so much since I started cycling and this aspect impresses me most/is more useful to me than the many of the bike technology improvements as I can actually ride the bike over more of the year

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It may be that you live in the anomaly. You've just described LA, Sydney, San Francisco, and Miami...and that's just from the 4 posts that followed yours.

Rapha helped change the aesthetic from spandex billboards to style. Whether or not everyone loves that style is subjective, and that's fine. But we'd all be wearing defunct race team kits if not for them. And while the desire for style spawned a whole world of hideous, over the top, too heavily graphical kits, Rapha has remained relatively well rooted in simple and clean fashion. Don't get me wrong, they aren't alone and there are some other brands putting out fantastic, clean kits, but I think there ought to be some credit where credit is due. And, FWIW, and as someone who generally hates looking like other people, much of their kit is good enough that I'll overlook the fact that it's common because of how it functions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    ...and then Rapha went big on orange.

This is either going to see me fully decked out in Rapha in the near future, or it is going to totally kill orange as a favourite riding kit colour for me.
    yes they did!

EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chime in please if I am wrong on this, but Rapha is a British company, and it's strong in the Anglo-Saxon world + Japan and S. Korea - i.e. the places where cycling has only grown a following from the 1970's "bike boom" or even later. Rapha is much less strong in the traditional cycling heartland of continental Europe, where the sport is still seen as a working class activity to a large extent.

This is important as the Rapha marketing is obviously based around cycling being an aspirational activity, not something for "those people" in the lower classes. I think the Rapha marketing won't work as well on the continent, Rapha knows this and thus has focused more on other regions thus far. The company is now getting big enough and well known enough all over the world amongst cyclists to finally have a go at the continent with a real shot at success.

If I'm talking out of my a*se please school me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Rapha T-shirt I was given for volunteering at the GP of Gloucester Cross race.

It's a T-shirt. It will become a shop rag when it wears out.

I have cycling gear form a whole bunch of brands. I wear everything both on and off the road, and it typically gets rips or shredded off road.
    Rapha and Assos simply don't make my cycling gear budget list. I guess if I was a 100% road guy, I may think differently.

I prefer Verge, Velocio and Voler lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    I have a Rapha T-shirt... It will become a shop rag when it wears out.
    Me too!!!

To balance my snark, an observation:

When Rapha decided to go direct and terminate their dealer network (super smart / gutsy move, BTW), they sacrificed the goodwill of shop dudes in order to attempt to build a direct relationship with the people who actually purchase and use the stuff.

Most of the other companies (I prefer to avoid the term "brand" or "brands") mentioned here don't tell stories, don't publish books, and (as previously noted) don't run their own events and travel operations.

Rapha, to their credit, is doing a number of things that other companies are not doing.

The stuff aint cheap, but it doesn't suck.

I *hate* the armband, but I'll rock the bibs now and then.

I don't care about Team Sky or Wiggins, but I enjoy Rapha publications.

That pretty much sums it up for me: Mild ambivalence.

I'm interested to see where Rapha is going... In the meantime, I'll continue to reach for a baselayer or bibs on semi-regular basis.

I tend to pick and choose stuff from a variety of companies, and see no reason to exclude Rapha from the mix.

In the context of this thread, I tend to ride with three types of people:
    1) people who are sponsored, and use whatever their sponsor provides
    2) people who have some Rapha and wear it sometimes
    3) people who don't wear Rapha and seem to think it's expensive/precious

I'm good with all of the above.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After 9 pages...the take away should be (IMO) wear whatever works for you.

Rapha combined some very clever, but simple, marketing with plain and functional design to carve out their own market niche. Every other cycling clothing company that has started since 2004 should doff their lid to Rapha.

Perhaps the backlash set in when they became ubiquitous; the image being sold via their marketing is hard to channel when the mamil phenomena that others describe hit. But, is this so surprising? Human beings tend to be sheep and follow the Joneses. Cyclists are no different in this regard. Why hate on Rapha for this?

What can't be denied is that in 2018 there is far more choice when it comes to cycling clothing and that can only be a good thing. Whether Assos is better (or more expensive) or visa versa kind of misses the point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha! I'm on there myself rn. The orange stuff is calling me. That and I need some type of cycling wallet (I've had 4 die in the last 8 years) and $35 for a waterproof (ergo sweatproof?) essentials case seems eminently reasonable.

Is this guy any good?
    Classic Wind Jacket II | Rapha

Wait, was that the piece that started this thread?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha! I'm on there myself rn. The orange stuff is calling me. That and I need some type of cycling wallet (I've had 4 die in the last 8 years) and $35 for a waterproof (ergo sweatproof?) essentials case seems eminently reasonable.

Is this guy any good?

Wind Jacket rocks.

Classic Softshell rocks
    Softshell Gilet (no longer made) indispensable.
    Classic Gilet rocks
    Bibs rock even after 5 hours in the saddle.
    Long Sleeve jerseys are comfy and warm.
    Pro Team Softshell rocks (although I'm a little too thick for Pro Team)

My major beef with Rapha? They have their zipper pulls backasswards. The short sleeve or summer jerseys have these big ass zipper pulls, the winter stuff and jackets have these tiny little zipper pulls that you friggin can't feel or grab when wearing longfinger gloves.

Orange is the new Black.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this guy any good?

Wait, was that the piece that started this thread?
    I picked one up 3 weeks ago. I really like it and recommend it. It fits me well. However, I went a size down for it. Not as breathable as the Asso one but I like it better. I don't get too sweaty in it.
    Last edited by joosttx; 02-14-2018 at 12:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's comparable to the Blitzfeder jacket? Similarly packable?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's comparable to the Blitzfeder jacket? Similarly packable?
    Yeah it is comparable. It is not as breathable, a little stiffer, and not as compact. But it is breathable enough, very comfortable, and will fit into my jersey pocket without much effort. For me I like the fit a little better than the blitzfeder. But I dropped a size. The normal size was way too baggy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this guy any good?
    I'd like it to pack better but it does pack with a little bit sticking out.
    It easily sheds light rain.
    But, the most remarkable feature is it is dead quiet and I mean dead quiet at speed. You go 20-30-40+ and hear NOTHING. no flapping no helicoptering NOTHING.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    Yeah it is comparable. It is not as breathable, a little stiffer, and not as compact. But it is breathable enough, very comfortable, and will fit into my jersey pocket without much effort. For me I like the fit a little better than the blitzfeder. But I dropped a size. The normal size was way too baggy.
    H, what was your normal size and dropped size? I had to go with a XL for shoulders in the original wind jacket but if based on torso I would be a straight large. At 167-172 I'm perhaps about 7 pounds from perhaps a medium but the pendulum can swing down as easily as up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
    I'd like it to pack better but it does pack with a little bit sticking out.
    It easily sheds light rain.
    But, the most remarkable feature is it is dead quiet and I mean dead quiet at speed. You go 20-30-40+ and hear NOTHING. no flapping no helicoptering NOTHING.
    That's the killer app right there. Assos claimed the Blitzfeder had some proprietary design to prevent flapping...nope. Q36.5's lovely jerseys also suffer from the parachute effect.

So tempted.