Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rapha how I used to love you

Quote Originally Posted by the bottle ride View Post
    Love the bar set up of the guy on the focus bike-
    It's to distract you from the suitskinsuit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the bottle ride View Post
    Love the bar set up of the guy on the focus bike-
    I have to disagree...I think they look terrible!

No Rapha or Assos on this guy either. No way those bars would have gotten through the marketing department of either company...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hrm in the back for that marginal gain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jaysus, socal crit racing. While we're at it, let's discuss something equally as obscure.

Cannonsburg hosts the 218 Fat Bike National Championships | WZZM13.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You think Assos will give one of those dudes free clothes? Fat bikes are just for boring, middle class, mainstream, pigment-challenged dudes, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really know why racing has been put to the table. AFAIK Rapha has never been in the market of custom club/team kits. One thing is sure, has big as Rapha seems to be from the prism of the internet it is still a brand that is in reality unknown to a big majority of cyclists worldwide. The number of official rapha stores is small, most people don't go shopping on brands official online stores but directly at the LBS (very few carry rapha) or big online retailers and buy whatever is on sale that day.

EDIT: After checking it looks like Rapha is actually entering the custom kits market Rapha | Rapha Custom
    Last edited by sk_tle; 02-13-2018 at 07:27 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    jaysus, socal crit racing. While we're at it, let's discuss something equally as obscure.

Cannonsburg hosts the 218 Fat Bike National Championships | WZZM13.com
    As an aside, the riding, both road and off road, near Cannonsburg is really quite nice. It's within the rideable radius of my house and I get out that way as often as possible.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    You think Assos will give one of those dudes free clothes? Fat bikes are just for boring, middle class, mainstream, pigment-challenged dudes, right?
    I guess you’re talking about me. Love my fat bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I don't really know why racing has been put to the table. AFAIK Rapha has never been in the market of custom club/team kits. One thing is sure, has big as Rapha seems to be from the prism of the internet it is still a brand that is in reality unknown to a big majority of cyclists worldwide. The number of official rapha stores is small, most people don't go shopping on brands official online stores but directly at the LBS (very few carry rapha) or big online retailers and buy whatever is on sale that day.

EDIT: After checking it looks like Rapha is actually entering the custom kits market Rapha | Rapha Custom
    Post #3: Rapha how I used to love you

I can't wait to get my new team kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and to go back to many earlier posts in this thread - has anyone who is complaining about the dark colors on their rain and foul-weather kit actually ridden in them? All of their black or dark jackets that I've ever seen have reflective piping that glows like it's on fire with the slightest light, and most of them also include an armband or another large patch of reflective material..
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Instagram

Travel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t quite get all the haters on Rapha.
    They came along and changed the game. They also promoted road riding like no brand before them. They got people back out road riding and made the Continental cool; they put a name to something a lot of riders wanted to do. They have done a lot for our sport in getting people out on bikes, riding and exploring new roads.

Sure not everything fits, not everything is perfect, but 90% of the Rapha I’ve bought is great product. It’s comfy, even after hours in the saddle and it works. All of my Rapha has lasted for years after repeated washings and use. The Classic Softshell I’ve had for many a years and it’s still killing it.

Sure the “Romanticized suffering with no helmet makes you cool” thing irritates me. Some of the over the top marketing irritates me. That said, love most the stuff they produce and their customer service is great from my experience.

Also don’t get why Seattle and San Fran have stores and Portland doesn’t? I’ll likely buy more from them in the future and continue to wear the Rapha I’ve got. Even if I get snickered at by the haters, screw them I’m not wearing it for them or trying to make a statement. The shit just works. I also ride handbuilt steel bikes with no disc’s, electronics or through axles and I love Campy. So what do I know I’m an old curmudgeon.

I might however try a pair of Catella Bibs, cuz Beetnik's got style..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    They came along and changed the game. They also promoted road riding like no brand before them. They got people back out road riding and made the Continental cool; they put a name to something a lot of riders wanted to do. They have done a lot for our sport in getting people out on bikes, riding and exploring new roads.
    Not trying to hate rapha but duh ? Do you have factual data to back that ? Do you know a single person who started riding bikes on the road BECAUSE of rapha ? I don't.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 02-13-2018 at 04:26 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t quite get all the haters on Rapha.

Sure not everything fits, not everything is perfect, but 90% of the Rapha I’ve bought is great product. It’s comfy, even after hours in the saddle and it works. All of my Rapha has lasted for years after repeated washings and use. The Classic Softshell I’ve had for many a years and it’s still killing it.

Sure the “Romanticized suffering with no helmet makes you cool” thing irritates me. Some of the over the top marketing irritates me. That said, love most the stuff they produce and their customer service is great from my experience.

Also don’t get why Seattle and San Fran have stores and Portland doesn’t? I’ll likely buy more from them in the future and continue to wear the Rapha I’ve got. Even if I get snickered at by the haters, screw them I’m not wearing it for them or trying to make a statement. The shit just works. I also ride handbuilt steel bikes with no disc’s, electronics or through axles and I love Campy. So what do I know I’m an old curmudgeon.

I might however try a pair of Catella Bibs, cuz Beetnik's got style..
    yes... its marketing, very good marketing... beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default It's kinda like the Armstrong Effect

Not trying to hate rapha but duh ? Do you have factual data to back that ? Do you know a single person who started riding bikes on the road BECAUSE of rapha ? I don't.
    My "anecdata" tells me he's correct. In big American cities, where there's been an explosion of urban cycling, Rapha has been instrumental in legitimizing "spandex." Before Rapha, urban riders (fixie, messenger-wannabe, commuter, Oaxacan busboys, steampunk, etc) may have been intrigued by race bikes but not by the apparel. I still know guys who ride hundreds of miles weekly but refuse to wear jerseys or cycling shoes because they don't want to look like "roadies." Thing is their idea of a roadie is outdated. Rapha has done more than anyone, IMO, to move the image forward. Rapha normalizes the technical apparel. It's not a big leap from urban bike to Strava to road bike to Rapha to sitting around watching Paris Roubaix. Who knows, in 5 years, my non-lycra pals may be in Rapha. More wattz to them...git it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I meant was they changed the game with regards to kit. We've some really good options out there now because Rapha upped the game and created competition.

Do I know anybody who started riding because of Rapha? of course not. Do I know some guys who got inspired by the Continental (and other Rapha films) to go out on long hard rides in search of the road less ridden? Yes I do. The Rapha Gentlemans Race and the Rapha Prestige are perfect examples of rides that got people stoked to be a part of. I don't know of Assos or Castelli (or any other clothing mfg) putting on rides like that or leading weekly rides from their retail stores. I give them props, they promote cycling in a tangible way.

Yes, some of it's marketing hype, but if it promotes and gets people out on their bikes (whether they wear the brand or not) what's bad about that?

Don't wish to get into a spat over a clothing company, but they have done a lot for the sport, like them or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I meant was they changed the game with regards to kit. We've some really good options out there now because Rapha upped the game and created competition.
    I agree with you on that although I've not been a huge fan of rapha armband aesthetic.

The Rapha Gentlemans Race and the Rapha Prestige are perfect examples of rides that got people stoked to be a part of. I don't know of Assos or Castelli (or any other clothing mfg) putting on rides like that or leading weekly rides from their retail stores. I give them props, they promote cycling in a tangible way.
    Hmmm I'd say the impact of Rapha events has been marginal and very limited geographically. Other brands may have not run similar events under their own names but they have sponsored a number of events, sportive and gran fondo for decades.

Yes, some of it's marketing hype, but if it promotes and gets people out on their bikes (whether they wear the brand or not) what's bad about that?
    I'm not saying that. I'm just saying the impact of rapha on the cycling world may not be as big as you tend to think. They have changed for the good the fashion in cycling but I don't think they have had a massive impact on the way we ride. Cycling has changed these last two decades but the changes were driven mostly by :
    - people being fed up by pro-cycling doping scandals and not wanting to be associated any more with that --> more focus on recreationnal cycling and less on racing
    - increased traffic and road rage --> less people interested in group rides on the road, more people looking for back roads and gravel
    - economical : less people interested in driving, more in cycling
    - many <35y old cyclists discovered cycling as broken students, converting daddy's or second hand old race bike as fixed gear. They got interested by those vintage gears, started to be interested in the stories behind those vintage bikes, romancized the past (that annoying and stupid Eddie Merckx adolation), started to wear vintage gears to differentiate themselves of "traditionnal roadies" and discovered at the same time the joy of bike holidays which led them to randonneuring/brevets. As they grew older and got wealthier they started looking at modern cycling gear. This is where Rapha provided them an alternative. It's funny because when I was looking to race on the track again I joined a huge fixed gear web forum that I have become the main administrator. I have been the witness of that shift. We still have a tiny bit of talk about fixed gear bicycles mostly coming from newcomers or those who sticked to the crit racing scene but bike polo is pretty much dead, people have now realized that being a messenger is not as fun as the idealized it 15y ago and now this forum is pretty much focused on brevet/randonneur/adventure and commuting. Some do purchase Rapha gear but they mostly make fun of those boring let's pretend we suffer in slow motion rapha videos as much as they make fun of MASHSF videos they used to watch when they were younger.

If anything Rapha benefited a lot from the shift in cycling - props to them for that, they filled a void - but they weren't the driving force.

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    My "anecdata" tells me he's correct. In big American cities, where there's been an explosion of urban cycling, Rapha has been instrumental in legitimizing "spandex." Before Rapha, urban riders (fixie, messenger-wannabe, commuter, Oaxacan busboys, steampunk, etc) may have been intrigued by race bikes but not by the apparel. I still know guys who ride hundreds of miles weekly but refuse to wear jerseys or cycling shoes because they don't want to look like "roadies." Thing is their idea of a roadie is outdated. Rapha has done more than anyone, IMO, to move the image forward. Rapha normalizes the technical apparel. It's not a big leap from urban bike to Strava to road bike to Rapha to sitting around watching Paris Roubaix. Who knows, in 5 years, my non-lycra pals may be in Rapha. More wattz to them...git it?
    Well, ok some of those guys are now riding spandex. So what ? What I mean is they would still be riding, spandex or not, even if Rapha never existed. I'm also pretty sure that another brand would have filled that void anyway. The urban cycling culture wasn't created by brands. Brands were created because of that urban cycling culture.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    I prefer to buy more unique stuff that I might never see on anyone else.
    ...and then Rapha went big on orange.

This is either going to see me fully decked out in Rapha in the near future, or it is going to totally kill orange as a favourite riding kit colour for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, ok some of those guys are now riding spandex. So what ? What I mean is they would still be riding, spandex or not, even if Rapha never existed. I'm also pretty sure that another brand would have filled that void anyway. The urban cycling culture wasn't created by brands. Brands were created because of that urban cycling culture.
    I think you have too much faith in the agency of individuals. Obviously, Rapha co-opted a few niche-micro-sub-cultures all with the awareness that there are people who like/need to be influenced. As alluded to earlier, there's only one Supreme. I'm 100% convinced that my 13 year old kid wouldn't be dressed like a Beastie Boys reject if he weren't so enamored of the Supreme Products Ecosystem.

Hay, did anyone notice that the new Rapha colors just dropped! Git it, "dropped?"

edit: Rich on point above re: ORANGE

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm I'd say the impact of Rapha events has been marginal and very limited geographically. Other brands may have not run similar events under their own names but they have sponsored a number of events, sportive and gran fondo for decades.
    Whilst I don't disagree, their sponsorship hasn't driven the kind of wistful "wow, I could do a ride like that" daydreaming that is being alluded to.

The urban cycling culture wasn't created by brands. Brands were created because of that urban cycling culture.
    You'd be surprised - you may not want to believe it, but I can well imagine that the brand drove the culture.

Again, I could never imagine Castelli or Assos being aspirational brands outside of cycling; but Rapha has a lot of appeal in that regard and could readily ignite a "maybe I should try cycling" thought process.