Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Rapha how I used to love you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rapha how I used to love you

Boxers in the winter and briefs in the summer. I know that’s probably backwards. These are cotton boxers and not those jersey fabric briefs with 4” inseam. Don’t see the point to those. I used to wear Patagonia briefs but they changed their cut disasterously so now it is ex-officio.

Back to the show.

Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    not to derail the thread completely but do most of you guys wear boxer briefs? I only tried a couple of pairs over the years and can't stand the elastic on the thighs. I don't have sprinters legs by any means, but anything with elastic seems to ride up. or is it just because I've never had good ones? I've always gone back to boxer because of that but they are getting scarcer compared to the ubiquitous boxer brief. am I missing something? ( I have always loved merino wool. hmm)
    Last edited by j44ke; 02-08-2018 at 01:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rapha hi-viz pink counts for 10 and the chartreuse counts for another 10 so that evens things out a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I think they call them "Influencerz"

And in other Raphas news, Assos is pulling a Supreme.

Here's one of the nation's top sprinters. He hasn't been seen in pro-team kit in nearly two months!

7 Tips for Marketing to The Younger Generation | HuffPost

How To Successfully Market to Today’s Younger Generation – Hiveage

How to Market to Minorities - The Atlantic

Supreme Just Got Valuated to $1 Billion by The Carlyle Group

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I think they call them "Influencerz"

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    Explain please. Is Assos deliberately producing less than actually demand for the product and standing by to watch a secondary market develop where the product trades for multiples of the retail price, or in other words, "pulling a Supreme"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Rapha has had, and still has, plenty of bright clothes in their lineup.
    looks like they only "see" black ;)))

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adamrogers2009 View Post
    Explain please. Is Assos deliberately producing less than actually demand for the product and standing by to watch a secondary market develop where the product trades for multiples of the retail price, or in other words, "pulling a Supreme"?
    No, they're just trying to get some LA street credz.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<snip>

Here's one of the nation's top sprinters. He hasn't been seen in pro-team kit in nearly two months!
    He can’t be seen in that kit either...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^He's the only guy under 60, who regularly wears Assos in LA (cos it's free and he's tight with the new peeps at the American office).

Well, a lot of the kids do save up their monies and buy one Assos item and then realize the stuff is just really aesthetically-challenged. A month later they're head-to-toe in Rapha or nice Instakits (MAAP, ENDO, La Passione and, even, Brandt-Sorenson).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^He's the only guy under 60, who regularly wears Assos in LA (cos it's free and he's tight with the new peeps at the American office).

Well, a lot of the kids do save up their monies and buy one Assos item and then realize the stuff is just really aesthetically-challenged. A month later they're head-to-toe in Rapha or nice Instakits (MAAP, ENDO, La Passione and, even, Brandt-Sorenson).
    ASSOS is stuck betwixt a rock and a hard place, but it's one that's not hard to wiggle out of from a branding perspective, as they have the advantage of being a technical manufacturing company. It'll take a long time to dig out of the hole - but it's doable. There's a few ways to skin that cat. Is the one they're taking now the most rapidly efficacious? We'll see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could never get past this

rapha-allsorts.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I like about Assos is their layering system. Also their kits seem more technical than Rapha with styling coming 2nd. What it really comes down to is no matter what brand you have on, if it doesn't fit right it just plain sucks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My comment was meant to highlight (no pun intended) that you can barely see him in the photo, let alone tell what brand clothing he’s wearing (unless you look really closely and recognize the Assos “A” tessellated pattern on the left sleeve as an Assos signature). Of course, the rider is in a giant shadow, which makes it worse.

The last several comments have focused on how many pieces of Rapha’s kit are dark or black, but I would argue that Assos’ line-up is even worse. The whole new winter line is all black, with a couple of reflective accents. And to make matters worse (imo), they are degrading the quality across the line in order to hit price points. To add to what heisenberg said above, it will be interesting to see if this new strategy helps broaden ownership or just alienates it’s loyal but aging/shrinking customer base.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    not to derail the thread completely but do most of you guys wear boxer briefs? I only tried a couple of pairs over the years and can't stand the elastic on the thighs. I don't have sprinters legs by any means, but anything with elastic seems to ride up. or is it just because I've never had good ones? I've always gone back to boxer because of that but they are getting scarcer compared to the ubiquitous boxer brief. am I missing something? ( I have always loved merino wool. hmm)
    Twenty four hr. ban for you pal. xxoo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    ASSOS is stuck betwixt a rock and a hard place, but it's one that's not hard to wiggle out of from a branding perspective, as they have the advantage of being a technical manufacturing company. It'll take a long time to dig out of the hole - but it's doable. There's a few ways to skin that cat. Is the one they're taking now the most rapidly efficacious? We'll see.
    The answer is no.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where did you get that “Pasadena” jersey. It looks smokin on you.

7 Tips for Marketing to The Younger Generation | HuffPost

How To Successfully Market to Today’s Younger Generation – Hiveage

How to Market to Minorities - The Atlantic

Supreme Just Got Valuated to $1 Billion by The Carlyle Group

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the fact that we're well into four pages is very telling.

Rapha changed the game and ushered in the notion of a different kind of kit. They sold it by building cycling culture. They've opened clubhouses all over the place, and host rides and have a pretty cool travel business.

Whether it fits, or is to your taste or not, they've advanced the culture of cycling to focus a little more on adventure. And they've set the stage for a series of companies to start selling similar, higher end wares that are also really nice (Cafe du Cycliste comes to mind). I like some of their kit (especially classic bibs and jerseys, and the wind jacket which may in fact be the nicest garment ever). For other things, I go Cafe.

Bottom line is they've built a really powerful brand that's fueled this and countless other threads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    Where did you get that “Pasadena” jersey. It looks smokin on you.
    Houston, I did gain ten pounds. Vsalon, the last safe space for fat shaming.

As for Assos, the new pieces may gain traction if they're marketed as both aspirational and social media sticky. They've hired a kid who is in the Golden Saddle, Redhook, Radavist orbit. Not sure if his position goes beyond operations but he does have a background in urbanwear marketing. In any case, the technical angle will not work for them (doesn't really work for anyone...hello Q36.5!) and evidence of this failure is the non-existent sales (to under 60 riders) at their two largest retail partners in the area.

Happy, it looks like the darker jerseys are an attempt to update the look but keep the core customer. They're only pushing that aesthetic on the signature high end models. The newer designs are a bit more fashion forward and bright (lower price point as well). My pal Andy who is the only Assoshead I know, has abandoned the black jerseys.

Speaking of bright, check me out in the yellow jersey with orange arm warmers

TL;DR
    Assos needs to figure out that people like "kits." Essentially a unified aesthetic where the goofy graphics on the jersey match the goofy graphics on the bibs. Fashion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may stand alone on this, but I find it more than slightly disgusting that cycling athletic apparel has swung to the fashion end of the spectrum. Though, admittedly, I was raised as a communist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really? I think their Brevet line is attractive- Same for the RCC kits.
    I would join RCC just for the kits-

I actually like Rapha better than I did at their inception.

I feel like they have more pieces and colors that suit my style (plain-ish). Also, they have jumped the shark in terms of popularity so the beard and curly mustache type guys are no longer wearing Rapha as a pseudo-uniform.
    A few years ago I felt like every other rider from SF had a wool rapha kit.

Assos- Here is what Assos needs to do to gain traction. Go back to 1996- Anyone wear Assos that far back? Clean full zip jerseys with no BS on them- long sleeve, thermal, and short sleeve. Colors like kelly green, red, Italian Azurro blue. You could even get the blue one with the Italian federation logo on the chest (still understated but clean).
    Current Assos looks like a super hero costume.

Quote Originally Posted by open roader View Post
    I could never get past this

rapha-allsorts.jpg