Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Rapha how I used to love you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rapha how I used to love you

This seems strangely like when people like a band before they become big time, but once everyone knows about them some people stop liking them just because they are popular.

Anyhow, their stuff never fit me, always seemed to fold up in weird and uncomfortable places. Guess I just was never meant to be that cool. The color schemes were refreshing when they came out though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always wanted to drink their Kool-aid but was never cool enough because their stuff fit me like an old sack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    They lost me when they splashed big "Rapha" logos on stuff. .
    Rapha is one of the most low key logo'd products by comparison to the other Euro brands.

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    Rapha is one of the most low key logo'd products by comparison to the other Euro brands.

-g
    Q36.5 is my new crush (but only when its on sale like currently at Above Category). Branded by color and style and materials but not garish like most Euro brands (atmo).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't tried Rapha and I think I will. Like other posters here I want quality and I have a pile of Assos, Castelli, Santini and now Q36.5.

My only complaint about Rapha is the styling. I guess you could compliment it by calling it understated but 3/4 of the items are nearly solid black. Or maybe really dark blue, really dark navy, really dark burgundy or really dark olive. I recently saw a Rapha jacket offered in three colors - all of them shades of gray. Jeez, black has been the new black for a decade. Can the industry just move on?

I have no problem looking like neon billboard so long as the cars see me. I got over the neon lycra embarrassment thing when I was a racer. Pasty-faced soccer dad smirking at me in a coffee shop? Yeah, come on a ride and I'll rip yer legs off. BTW, your wife is sneakin' looks at my ass.

#MAMILandProud

_

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
    I haven't tried Rapha and I think I will. Like other posters here I want quality and I have a pile of Assos, Castelli, Santini and now Q36.5.

My only complaint about Rapha is the styling. I guess you could compliment it by calling it understated but 3/4 of the items are nearly solid black. Or maybe really dark blue, really dark navy, really dark burgundy or really dark olive. I recently saw a Rapha jacket offered in three colors - all of them shades of gray. Jeez, black has been the new black for a decade. Can the industry just move on?

I have no problem looking like neon billboard so long as the cars see me. I got over the neon lycra embarrassment thing when I was a racer. Pasty-faced soccer dad smirking at me in a coffee shop? Yeah, come on a ride and I'll rip yer legs off. BTW, your wife is sneakin' looks at my ass.

#MAMILandProud

_
    exactly. I forgot that complaint in my mini-rant. I get that black hides grime, but in winter the days are short and even in the middle of day I'd rather be in neon or something obnoxiously bright than muted, neutral tones. I guess that stuff doesn't photograph as well on the pseudo-sepia vintage hard man reconstructions though. Now that I think about it, this is an Italians vs the Belgians fight....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rapha has had, and still has, plenty of bright clothes in their lineup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I'd guess that 50% of the jerseys , jackets and vests are light/bright color options.

Seems enough to satisfy that demo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

my exposure to the brand has been so limited that I easily took 9tubes assessment on face value, though I didn't single out Rapha, just noting that far too often winter bike apparel comes only in black. most now have some reflective material but you need car lights for that to work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    my exposure to the brand has been so limited that I easily took 9tubes assessment on face value, though I didn't single out Rapha, just noting that far too often winter bike apparel comes only in black. most now have some reflective material but you need car lights for that to work.
    No doubt about that. I ride in the rain regularly, so some pieces I prefer to be black so they don't get completely trashed, but it's good to have options in brighter colors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I am very grateful that Rapha moved the needle on stylish and tasteful cycling kit. Not that it wasn't out there, but they did effect a revolution, if not just a little mutiny.

Epic is good. Deserving of ridicule? I don't think so, but certainly a little ribbing: Jahvahaah Internationale

Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
    I'd guess that 50% of the jerseys , jackets and vests are light/bright color options.

You might have a point. So I went and did a quick count. This is what I see on the current Rapha site (who knows whether we see the same pages):

22 out of 30 tops shown on the men's jackets page are black or dark colors

31 out of 49 tops shown on the men's jerseys page are black or dark colors

On the home page, the main men's page, and the main women's page there are pictures of riders on their bikes. 15 out of 22 are wearing black (no other dark colors).

Seems to me that black is a bit over-represented but YMMV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before anyone else hates on rapha.... i ask this question.

Have you worn their merino wool boxer briefs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    I am very grateful that Rapha moved the needle on stylish and tasteful cycling kit. Not that it wasn't out there, but they did effect a revolution, if not just a little mutiny.

Epic is good. Deserving of ridicule? I don't think so, but certainly a little ribbing: Jahvahaah Internationale

That site is hilarious!

I like Rapha originally because they made nice looking purple jerseys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
    You might have a point. So I went and did a quick count. This is what I see on the current Rapha site (who knows whether we see the same pages):

22 out of 30 tops shown on the men's jackets page are black or dark colors

31 out of 49 tops shown on the men's jerseys page are black or dark colors

On the home page, the main men's page, and the main women's page there are pictures of riders on their bikes. 15 out of 22 are wearing black (no other dark colors).

Seems to me that black is a bit over-represented but YMMV.
    Did you toggle/choose items that had options for lighter or brighter colors? I agree if you simply count without taking into account color options.

Am I wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post

Yes. And they are amazing. And worth every penny. I'm resisting the urge to buy more right now.

I'm a fan of other stuff too (older bibs and jerseys, the casual clothing line/commuter gear). But I do find that the fit is all over the place these days. Two seemingly similar items can have very different fits. But the return policy is good. I haven't bought much lately (other than more boxers), but that's because what I have is lasting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sucrose-Sucrose Golly! My favorite jahvahaaah (or was it jva?) team member.

I like the looks of the classic rapha jackets. Endura seems to fit me better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
    Did you toggle/choose items that had options for lighter or brighter colors? I agree if you simply count without taking into account color options.

I did count all the color options on the men's jackets and men's jerseys pages. I went with the predominate color. A black jacket with a small pink stripe counted as dark, and a pink vest with a black stripe counted as light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post

not to derail the thread completely but do most of you guys wear boxer briefs? I only tried a couple of pairs over the years and can't stand the elastic on the thighs. I don't have sprinters legs by any means, but anything with elastic seems to ride up. or is it just because I've never had good ones? I've always gone back to boxer because of that but they are getting scarcer compared to the ubiquitous boxer brief. am I missing something? ( I have always loved merino wool. hmm)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    one thing that really annoys me about brands that want to play in the "premium" space, with requisite pricing is the always-on-sale game. i just want to know what something costs. i dont want to buy something, and feel like a sucker next week when it's 50% less, than 60, 70 and 80 over the next weeks as the email blasts intensify.
    This to me is a red flag about the company. I see three possibilities:
    1. They can't manage their inventory ordering well. Every business orders too much on occasion, but with Rapha the "on occasion" term is not appropriate
    2. They intentionally price too high at first to capture sales to those folks willing to pay the high price, and then sell to others at sale time. This is a well-known technique in retail-land, but can do a lot of brand damage if those high-price-payers figure things out (likely). It also trains people to wait for sales.
    3. They experiment with new styles/colors/versions of product and blow out what doesn't work as well as hoped.

Option 3 is neutral or mildly positive perhaps, the other 2 are not so good.