Default Re: Rapha how I used to love you

and I agree with swoop; stuff always seemed like fancy pearl gear to me

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too was hooked on that first soft shell. Since then I've had some hits and misses but the misses I know from moment one and back they go. I think some of there newer stuff is very nice and I always buy it at deep discounts (being at the far right of the size spectrum helps keep choices open). Some of their casual wear is very nice and at sales prices I find it to be good value. You need to know what you want, shop carefully and not be afraid to take liberal advantage of thier return policy. Having just returned from an event at their Seattle clubhouse, I think that's a unique value add for some of us. Of all the email solicitations I get I don't mind Raphas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried on a lot of stuff at the London shop, sorry 'clubhouse', during my last visit.
    Everything i zipped up fit like they measured me in my sleep.

Assos has seriously dropped the ball in the style/colour front,
    i hate the current bibs, and they apparently forgot how to design a jersey.
    I don't think i've bought a single piece from them in over 2 years.
    My closet is full of Assos winter/cool weather gear that works,
    and I need summer bibs and jerseys that i actually want to wear.

Rapha is the only brand i identify with the product in any way,
    the rest of the industry is on Mars, and i'm on Venus.

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ordered some winter tights in the appropriate size and they were 3" short on me. My legs are long but I didn't think they were that long. So I sent them back on January 12 and I got the refund today after writing to them to ask what's up. In the past, refunds have been pretty quick. Seems like they have a backlog of returns they are working their way through. Not sure what that means beyond that the big end-of-year sale goes both ways probably.

I have no complaint really. I got a same day answer and simultaneous refund when I contacted them, so that's fine. I ordered Velocio winter tights and they fit nicely.

They are going through a transition this year, so I expect some bumps. I like the stuff I have, but there is definitely other stuff that just doesn't work for me. I think the Brevet insulated jacket is a wonder, though I would like rear pockets even through I understand why they aren't there. And I'd like shorts with an 11" inseam for more sun protection.

I have a couple sweaters I bought from them that are densely knitted wool with a wind block insert inside the front. Those sweaters are amazing. I can wear those and a shell to walk around in 32F weather. And I wear their cotton shorts all summer long (though the buttons keep falling off.)
    Last edited by j44ke; 02-07-2018 at 01:09 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty happy with my deep winter base layer, even though I still need layers to keep me warm. Don't think I'll buy jerseys though, since I haven't bought any from anyone in ages

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't overthink my gear choice as much as you guys do and I don't feel the need to be loyal or not to a brand. I'm demanding at times on bib quality, my current favorite being a 3y old café du cycliste, but not so much with jerseys.

But then I recently came to realize that I could be comfortable doing a sub 2h winter ride on blue-jeans and pullover or sweatshirt by just replacing the cotton shirt for a technical base layer. It really speed up the post-work pre-ride ritual. Swap the t-shirt, put on the shoes and helmet and go.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 02-07-2018 at 04:37 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DCT View Post
    All of my recent purchases are products that last. Price is second. Longevity is first. For cycling stuff, nothing lasts longer than Assos stuff. I have a few Assos Rally jerseys that I'll wear for the next 30 years. You can't kill these things.

Plus, you can look this good.

Darren, I know you too well. Assos may last 30 years, but you are like the Gigi Hadid of Vsalon and will be in the newest look as soon as it hits the runway.... nice to see Justin and Todd in the posse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    And I'd like shorts with an 11" inseam for more sun protection.
    I'm not sure if they're quite 11", but the Pro Team bibs come in a long cut. And the grippers on the Pro Team II are a huge improvement over the prior model. And the chamois is great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

love it, apart from that 98% of the Rapha stuff I bought is very good quality.
    don't want to look like the castelli-assos-etxeondo-nalini body-fit-superman style, with waves and lines red-black-white over the jerseys ....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too have a wardrobe full of Rapha jerseys, jackets, base layers etc. Recently purchased a bunch of stuff off the sale post. 95% of it went back due to fit. Something changed with the new stuff in a major way. I don't hate on Rapha but it just doesn't work for me anymore. I discovered Assos and the Mille line is amazing. Fit wise it just works for me to a T. You get that feeling that you are naked when you actually have stuff on. Amazing stuff and worth the price of admission. Great to hear from Darren that it is also built to last. Although it didn't shock me as the materials are pretty amazing. With that said I will still look at rapha stuff, read there blogs, watch their amazing videos. Also pick up their boxers when in need. The saddle is also interesting after all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the Rapha stuff I have and plan to buy more of it. I've never understood the hate. It's just bike clothing.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Darren, I know you too well. Assos may last 30 years, but you are like the Gigi Hadid of Vsalon and will be in the newest look as soon as it hits the runway.... nice to see Justin and Todd in the posse.
    If the quality is better than Assos, I'll get it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They lost me when they splashed big "Rapha" logos on stuff. That is just so tacky. They got confused. There is a difference between class and style.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmagoulas View Post
    I too have a wardrobe full of Rapha jerseys, jackets, base layers etc. Recently purchased a bunch of stuff off the sale post. 95% of it went back due to fit. Something changed with the new stuff in a major way.
    Yes, oddly enough they appear to change some cuts season to season. I have bought the same products in consecutive years and found fit problems. I used to run a small in pretty much everything they made, and once put on their XS bibs and could barely fit them over my quads - this was about two years ago. This morning I wore their Brevet bibs (which are excellent, very long-lasting, comfortable and dry overnight hung from a tree in the woods even after riding in the rain all day) and the Pro Team rain jacket that both fit like a glove, both of which are XS...

When they nail it, they nail it - I still have baselayers from 5 years ago that, aside from a small amount of yellowing, work perfectly. I've been wearing their winter cap from October to the end of March 5-6 days per week for the past 5 years and aside from a little fray on the inside it's still perfect. The only stuff of theirs that I've ever had issue with are the flyweight bibs, which wear through pretty quickly on a Brooks Cambium saddle, and one jacket I picked up that had an odd fit in the shoulders. The latter they took back with no question and gave me a full refund immediately. There are plenty of other great brands out there of course, but if you ignore all of the marketing mumbo-jumbo these guys make good kit and, especially if you wait for sales, their price point isn't actually that bad. Search and State, ASSOS, Pas Normal Studios...etc. make good stuff too, but looking at some of their prices is like a gut punch.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been a few years since I've bought any Rapha gear but everything I've bought from them has been well made and very durable. I love their classic bibs and jerseys and I find their socks super comfortable. Their phone support is top notch and the people you talk to actually know about how sizing might differ between garments. Some of their things are stupid expensive though. I got a Rapha hat as a gift one Christmas and it's in that "too valuable to use" drawer. I'm not super pumped about their marketing but I don't care since Rapha fits me very well.
    Jonathan Lee
    My science page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I like the Rapha stuff I have and plan to buy more of it. I've never understood the hate. It's just bike clothing.
    The clothes are nice, but the old epic ad copy needs to be read by John Cleese for best effect.

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Same here. Not everything of theirs has worked for me, but they're the first brand I go to for bike clothing. Jerseys, jackets, bibs - most are really nice kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rapha, pffttthhhh.... I miss Protogs and Jones cycle wear.

Next thread:

"Dearest Campagnolo - What we had was special but you've changed and I can't do this anymore"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Rapha, pffttthhhh.... I miss Protogs and Jones cycle wear.

Next thread:

"Dearest Campagnolo - What we had was special but you've changed and I can't do this anymore"
    Exactly!

Remember when...........

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I own no Rapha and no Assos. and no garmin. or power meter. somehow I still enjoy riding. I'm sure it's nice stuff and I'd get some if a gift certificate came my way. I always thought the ad copy was ridiculous but sadly perfect for the demographic of middle-aged white dudes with disposable income and . . . whatever, I'll leave it at that. commodity fetishism. what drives me crazy are winter garments built for aero sleekness and therefore lacking in practical shit like pockets to stow stuff when you warm up or two way zippers so you can keep your neck warm but bleed off some heat from the torso. to TT's point, it's hard to maintain a luxury brand identity all the while trying to increase market share

dammit, now you guys have me looking at soft shells to replace my 25 year old Italian wool blend with nylon wind panels jacket. I guess it is getting a little long in the tooth