Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Rapha how I used to love you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rapha how I used to love you

...and that’s why they say taste is subjective...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are other choices...for those that aren't colour blind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same here Sascha. The Campy clothing is hard to find. Best underlayers going.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    {snip} ...At the tail end of last winter I bought a thermal Pro Team jersey and a pair of 3/4 bib knicks because they were on sale at prices that couldn't be ignored - they didn't see a lot of use before things warmed up, but I did like them when they did get used. Digging those out again this winter reminded me how good they are...

Last week I bit the bullet on the Core winter tights and the Brevet Windblock jersey. The tights are some of the best I've ever worn, despite being from their 'cheap' range. The Windblock jersey has a funny fit, being on the loose side, but it's still a great bit of kit that I can see myself wearing a lot.

{snip}

What I'm getting at is, I'm now looking at the Rapha site planning what I am going to buy next. Sure, this is helped by my love of purple which features quite a lot in their current range; but fundamentally it's because their kit is undeniably good - even the 'cheap' stuff. It's impressive when I can buy a Rapha jersey and pair of bib shorts for AU$255 that I know will fit well and feel nice, when some much lesser known brands over here charge AU$300+ (and well over AU$500 in some cases) for kit that might be funky on sizing and may not feel as good.
    On the basis of how good the winter kit was, I picked up some more Rapha gear recently as none of my old summer kit fits me anymore (in the best way - it's now all too baggy). The Core jersey appears to have been slightly updated and now fits me perfectly. The Core bibs, for the money, are unbelievable. At AU$255 all-in, it's an amazing quality kit.

However, I also took a gamble on a set of Classic bibs. Oh dear. Rapha should swap the branding over on their bibs - at nearly AU$300, the Classic bibs are not worth twice what the Core bibs cost. In fact I'd still be disappointed if I'd paid the same AU$150 as the Core bibs. The two should definitely be the other way around price-wise.

I've gone all-in on purple, though - first up came the dark purple Core jersey, then the purple Classic jersey got moved into the 'archive sale' so I grabbed one of them (yet to see if the pockets will actually hold up to carrying stuff, as my experience on merino jerseys isn't great in that regard), plus I've ordered the new Pro Team lightweight gilet in purple!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who could forget the Continental Project. It was a team without racing, and for many, the first time we understood mixed-surface ride possibilities and life after racing. The team and the backroad events were a signpost leading to the gravel scene to follow, and of course we wanted to look like Joe, Hahn, Cole and the rest of the crew. For me, it was a collision of my early 90's mtb experiences, riding for hours on a secondary road, maybe get lost and grab a dip in the lake, and then pedal home. We were in world that gave us Primal Wear when Simon Mottram said words to the effect of 'we can do better'. I'd say the Continental made a bigger impression on my riding than any other sponsorship or marketing project of the industry. Sure, it is long gone and the quest for growth has seen Rapha do plenty of questionable sku's, but it doesn't bug me and my Classic bibshorts soldier on. Nowadays, if I have extra bucks for key top or bottom, I'd more likely rewards the big efforts at Kitsbow, but in the mean time, let's not forget the beginnings of Rapha as the reason it's there today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Bishop View Post
    Who could forget the Continental Project. It was a team without racing, and for many, the first time we understood mixed-surface ride possibilities and life after racing. The team and the backroad events were a signpost leading to the gravel scene to follow, and of course we wanted to look like Joe, Hahn, Cole and the rest of the crew. For me, it was a collision of my early 90's mtb experiences, riding for hours on a secondary road, maybe get lost and grab a dip in the lake, and then pedal home. We were in world that gave us Primal Wear when Simon Mottram said words to the effect of 'we can do better'. I'd say the Continental made a bigger impression on my riding than any other sponsorship or marketing project of the industry. Sure, it is long gone and the quest for growth has seen Rapha do plenty of questionable sku's, but it doesn't bug me and my Classic bibshorts soldier on. Nowadays, if I have extra bucks for key top or bottom, I'd more likely rewards the big efforts at Kitsbow, but in the mean time, let's not forget the beginnings of Rapha as the reason it's there today.
    gosh and the bikes! those early continental bikes are burned into my mind as the reference "cool" bikes. of course i own a set of wheels with pink king hubs. or two...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same. I bet breadwinner would recreate those paint schemes if asked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always loved the version by Zullo.
    Riding has to be fun, and part of the fun has to be that you’re not worried about having too much technology on your bike. - Tom Ritchey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been on a Rapha binge of late. Among other things, really like the commuter/randonneur pants and shorts. The NYC store had the green striped Paul Smith jersey and Richard Sachs jersey in my size (sold out online).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooled down enough to bring out one of my older "brevet" jerseys. I love these things. Soft to the hand, close but not stupid close fitting, tasteful (to my eye) color schemes. Also, ditto on the Core bibs comment. I love em.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loving my Brevet sportwool right now, tried the new lightweight brevet jersey over summer and the updated design fixed the issue with bands irritating my back (bands now sewn over jersey material instead of sewn into the material) and worked great in warmer temperatures.

I also found the core bibs to be really comfortable but mine started to show wear spots in Lycra after approx. 1 year - haven’t had that issue with classic or brevet bibs but maybe I just wore the core bib shorts more.

Rapha CS sent me a voucher for some money off a new pair when I queried if wear was normal vs abnormal - pretty happy with their CS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed, the bikes had my full attention too, and it's nice to know they live on through BWC and perhaps Rossman himself. A grail bike for me was the Sachs one we used to see from time to time in the photos. When I first went to the SF clubhouse in ca 2011 I saw the Ira Ryan one and it made the whole stop worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#unjustifiedwhingeon

I've got a lovely Rapha wool jersey. This was the one with mesh on the shoulders and a center zipper for stashing a light rain cape. The pocket trim has come loose from both side pockets. The purchase was ages ago and I recall it was a gift so no proof of purchase.

What the heck? I asked if they could take some sort of exchange. A solid reply:

Hi Toots,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, we will need the proof of purchase or order number in order to proceed with your request.

We would be happy to find a solution for you once this document is provided.

If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TT, they should still offer to repair it, no?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    #unjustifiedwhingeon

I've got a lovely Rapha wool jersey. This was the one with mesh on the shoulders and a center zipper for stashing a light rain cape. The pocket trim has come loose from both side pockets. The purchase was ages ago and I recall it was a gift so no proof of purchase.

What the heck? I asked if they could take some sort of exchange. A solid reply:

Hi Toots,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, we will need the proof of purchase or order number in order to proceed with your request.

We would be happy to find a solution for you once this document is provided.

If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.
    For what it's worth, the trim on one of my pockets came loose (threads unraveled). Took it to a local seamstress and for $7 it looks as good as new but is probably better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know one of the gents who helped R from the start and ages ago bought 2 tops, not too lairy, they are still going strong. I also bought some 3/4 length trousers , pedal pushers we used to call them in the UK, in a hardwearing material which were great for commuting (I recall they were marketed for the fixed community, of which I was one on my custom Chas Roberts) but very sadly they have disappeared. I still have the bike. Exciting to use in London.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toots, that's disappointing. In the pre-Waltons days, they would have asked to have you send it to them to first see if they can repair it, and if not, they will come back with an alternative suggestion; no quibble about proof of purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by slwrnu View Post
    I know one of the gents who helped R from the start and ages ago bought 2 tops, not too lairy, they are still going strong. I also bought some 3/4 length trousers , pedal pushers we used to call them in the UK, in a hardwearing material which were great for commuting (I recall they were marketed for the fixed community, of which I was one on my custom Chas Roberts) but very sadly they have disappeared. I still have the bike. Exciting to use in London.
    I remember those. I wanted to get a pair, got distracted, then realised they were discontinued.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Needle and thread in hand.

#whingingoff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recently went shopping for some gilet and LS jersey. After browsing Rapha, Assos and CDC for 45min trying to find some high vis colors and finding only black, dark blue and some odd dark purple crap and ended up buying 3 Castelli pieces. This dark trend on winter gear from the high end brands still baffles me. Thinking about it I have been quite happy with all my recent Castelli tops (mostly all variants of the Gabba) so all is well. Bright orange works !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chik, I have no idea why they discontinued those pedal pushers they were great 3 season wear and apart from being comfy on the bike you could pop in to a cafe or bar without your gentleman's parts being on display. There is a time and place for that.