Thread: Rapha how I used to love you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rapha how I used to love you

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post

Going to high school without girls is so weird.
    Yeah...Had it not been for the girls in high school, I would have considered it a TOTAL waste.....
    "Humilis humilibus...Inflectans arroganibus....."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StR View Post
    yes... its marketing, very good marketing... beautiful.

Absolutely. Rapha has done a lot of good for cycling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DCT View Post
    Absolutely. Rapha has done a lot of good for cycling.
    I had considered posting this at the top of the thread. I continues to resonate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    Thatís how I roll. In College you could always tell who were the kids who went to private high school because they could not dress.
    I went to a college where every kid dressed like they went to a private high school, whether they did or not...
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Digging up this old thread...

I used to avoid Rapha almost on principle (and I may well have said something along those lines within the previous pages of this thread). I liked their gilets and caps, but I kept it to those key pieces. Then our club did a Rapha Custom kit which I bought; and I loved it. This winter I have needed to get some new warmer kit. At the tail end of last winter I bought a thermal Pro Team jersey and a pair of 3/4 bib knicks because they were on sale at prices that couldn't be ignored - they didn't see a lot of use before things warmed up, but I did like them when they did get used.

Digging those out again this winter reminded me how good they are, so my search led me back to the Rapha site. Nice, but I can't quite swing those prices - I'll wait for a sale... Except it seems their strategy has finally changed on sales - the sale I needed never came.

Last week I bit the bullet on the Core winter tights and the Brevet Windblock jersey. The tights are some of the best I've ever worn, despite being from their 'cheap' range. The Windblock jersey has a funny fit, being on the loose side, but it's still a great bit of kit that I can see myself wearing a lot.

I've nearly always been between sizes in Rapha kit - the L Classic stuff always looked too big and the M always looked too tight. My custom club jersey from the Core range was an L, but I shrunk out of it, so I sold that (to a VSalonista, actually) and re-bought the same one in an M; but it's taken me a little while longer to shrink into that. I took a gamble on the Windblock in the M and it's almost too big! The way it fits in their site pics is very true to how it wears.

I digress...

What I'm getting at is, I'm now looking at the Rapha site planning what I am going to buy next. Sure, this is helped by my love of purple which features quite a lot in their current range; but fundamentally it's because their kit is undeniably good - even the 'cheap' stuff. It's impressive when I can buy a Rapha jersey and pair of bib shorts for AU$255 that I know will fit well and feel nice, when some much lesser known brands over here charge AU$300+ (and well over AU$500 in some cases) for kit that might be funky on sizing and may not feel as good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently bough a Rapha winter jacket and tights with an integrated chamois...so comfortable and warm! I've dropped a bit of weight over the last few months from the whole home isolation/Covid-19 stay and the fit is even better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Digging up this old thread...

I used to avoid Rapha almost on principle (and I may well have said something along those lines within the previous pages of this thread). I liked their gilets and caps, but I kept it to those key pieces. Then our club did a Rapha Custom kit which I bought; and I loved it. This winter I have needed to get some new warmer kit. At the tail end of last winter I bought a thermal Pro Team jersey and a pair of 3/4 bib knicks because they were on sale at prices that couldn't be ignored - they didn't see a lot of use before things warmed up, but I did like them when they did get used.

Digging those out again this winter reminded me how good they are, so my search led me back to the Rapha site. Nice, but I can't quite swing those prices - I'll wait for a sale... Except it seems their strategy has finally changed on sales - the sale I needed never came.

Last week I bit the bullet on the Core winter tights and the Brevet Windblock jersey. The tights are some of the best I've ever worn, despite being from their 'cheap' range. The Windblock jersey has a funny fit, being on the loose side, but it's still a great bit of kit that I can see myself wearing a lot.

I've nearly always been between sizes in Rapha kit - the L Classic stuff always looked too big and the M always looked too tight. My custom club jersey from the Core range was an L, but I shrunk out of it, so I sold that (to a VSalonista, actually) and re-bought the same one in an M; but it's taken me a little while longer to shrink into that. I took a gamble on the Windblock in the M and it's almost too big! The way it fits in their site pics is very true to how it wears.

I digress...

What I'm getting at is, I'm now looking at the Rapha site planning what I am going to buy next. Sure, this is helped by my love of purple which features quite a lot in their current range; but fundamentally it's because their kit is undeniably good - even the 'cheap' stuff. It's impressive when I can buy a Rapha jersey and pair of bib shorts for AU$255 that I know will fit well and feel nice, when some much lesser known brands over here charge AU$300+ (and well over AU$500 in some cases) for kit that might be funky on sizing and may not feel as good.
    Yeah they had a big final blowout sale and now seem to have stopped doing that.
    But I bet if you can hang on til Christmas (only 6 months away!) they will do another sale. Maybe even Black Friday, which is only 5 months away!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the pro caps.

Yellow pro shadow jacket previous version.

Yellow pro winter jacket previous version.

Gray-on-black striped Brevet jacket with the insulated front and stretchy sleeves. Original version I think.

The large reflective backpack with the zip-in divider.

I think these jackets fit me because I have narrow shoulders. I've heard complaints from others about width.

I have nothing ill to say about Rapha just now. My wife ordered some girl clothes from Rapha, and the order went sideways & disappeared. They immediately credited the order amount. Then about 2 weeks later, it showed up at the post office (small town - if in doubt, take it to the post office) wrapped in tape and missing an item. I notified Rapha so they could bill us for the received items, and they said no worries, keep 'em, no charge. So did a donation to World Bicycle Relief in the amount of the order to keep the karma going the right way.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    their kit is undeniably good - even the 'cheap' stuff. It's impressive when I can buy a Rapha jersey and pair of bib shorts for AU$255 that I know will fit well and feel nice, when some much lesser known brands over here charge AU$300+ (and well over AU$500 in some cases) for kit that might be funky on sizing and may not feel as good.
    I'm still mostly wearing Rapha stuff because, like you say, it's good.

Their Shadow leg warmers are great, and their Core line is probably the nicest stuff on the market for the price.

The only downside is that as they've grown they've stopped selling through any of our local shops. If I'm going to pay full retail for something anyways, I try to do it at a local establishment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to see this. I've got a love hate with them but that's why I started the thread. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Raphaís thermo bibs, which are more compressive.

What else should I consider - any season - thatís similar?

Whatís the word on the latest Velocio bibs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was an early Rapha fan and still have a wear their "original" Wool blend jerseys. They were beautifully made of high quality fabrics and look fairly new after many wearings and washings/hang to dry. But today's jerseys seem more cheaply made, are made of not as nice (thinner) fabrics and the fit is not the same (tighter in the shoulders and baggier in the mid-section).

I have no regrets about my old Rapha stuff, but my new dollars are going to Velociothese days. Superb fabrics, construction and design plus Veolcio's Radiator jersey is a revelation for hot weather riding. I'm looking forward to purchasing their Alpha base layer and a winter jacket when the F/W 2020 collection hits.
    My real name is Hemanth and among other things, I like bikes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I have nothing ill to say about Rapha just now. My wife ordered some girl clothes from Rapha, and the order went sideways & disappeared. They immediately credited the order amount. Then about 2 weeks later, it showed up at the post office (small town - if in doubt, take it to the post office) wrapped in tape and missing an item. I notified Rapha so they could bill us for the received items, and they said no worries, keep 'em, no charge. So did a donation to World Bicycle Relief in the amount of the order to keep the karma going the right way.
    You're a good man, Jorn.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    The only downside is that as they've grown they've stopped selling through any of our local shops. If I'm going to pay full retail for something anyways, I try to do it at a local establishment.
    It's gone the other way here - in Sydney, at least. They closed the RCC Clubhouse here (was the wrong side of town for me anyway, but I occasionally went in) so there was nothing for a while, but they do now have at least 2 shops peddling their wares; and one of those is now local too. It seems the idea is that they carry a skeleton range, then order in anything else that someone might want.

I tested this with my tights and Brevet jersey - I ordered the tights through the shop and ordered the Brevet online. The tights arrived in a couple of days (and the shop owner knows me so I also got an unexpected 10% discount), whereas the Brevet jersey took just under a week (it was sent from Hong Kong). I'll do my next order through the shop with service like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Glad to see this. I've got a love hate with them but that's why I started the thread. LOL.
    Indeed. I've always had a love/hate relationship with them - in fact I used to practically live in their city gear but never wear the bike gear; but that seems to have flipped lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TTX1 View Post
    I like Rapha’s thermo bibs, which are more compressive.

What else should I consider - any season - that’s similar?

What’s the word on the latest Velocio bibs?
    I've been raving about Velocio over here: https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...ml#post1009291

And Wisco hits the nail on the head...

Quote Originally Posted by Wisco View Post
    I have no regrets about my old Rapha stuff, but my new dollars are going to Velociothese days. Superb fabrics, construction and design plus Veolcio's Radiator jersey is a revelation for hot weather riding. I'm looking forward to purchasing their Alpha base layer and a winter jacket when the F/W 2020 collection hits.
    The fabrics and construction are superb. The Radiator jersey is amazing in summer and the Concept jersey is even better. And for cooler days, the Signature jersey has a heavier weight to it, but is still very comfortable. More like a Rapha PT midweight. Their winter gear is also great. I've got a pair of thermal bibs from them and also the winter jacket, heavy weight vest, warmers and a bunch of other stuff. I love pretty much all of it.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Richard Sachs race kit makes me feel slim even though I am not. That fabric is good stuff.

I never loved bibs, and had written to Rapha about 5 years ago lamenting about lack of shorts.

I am very glad they came out with the Core shorts which I picked up 6 months ago. It is now one of my favorite shorts on rotation with Q36.5 and Assos Mille half shorts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    ...I think these jackets fit me because I have narrow shoulders. I've heard complaints from others about width...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisco View Post
    ...the fit is not the same, tighter in the shoulders and baggier in the mid-section...
    That was always my complaint about Rapha, too slim in the shoulders. I am 5'8" with 44 shoulders so I needed an XL which was just too long in the body and sleeves (regarding long sleeves jerseys and jackets). When they went from "Classic Jersey" to "Classic Jersey II" it only got worse. I'm glad I have a few much older short sleeve Brevet jerseys but they only work in the early spring and late fall. The newest stuff after the buyout is just not as good IMHO.

Like others, I have moved onto Velocio having recently purchased a few base layers and very happy about them.

For the big shouldered people, Gore jerseys and jackets fit well and the mid-section is not too big.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll add that most of the Rapha I have was bought on sale or second hand. And I am guessing that's not good for the company. My wife buys new at list though. I'm the cheapskate.

I do buy another Classic II jersey whenever I have some spare shekels lying around. Nothing amazing but it fits me, launders well and lasts.

Velocio fits me perfectly but I wish their jerseys had slightly higher collars for sun protection.

I have stopped buying Assos jerseys. Inconsistent fabric quality & selection even between different colors in the same design. Weird fit.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m admittedly a fan boy of the Rapha PT stuff, it fits me to a T. Just bought a pair of the PT Training Shorts and they appear to be a good value. On par with the prior gen PT shorts but at a better price point. Time will tell if they are as durable.
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like Rapha but the Campagnolo clothing is just so nice...

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 6.20.57 pm.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 6.21.06 pm.jpg