Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Rapha how I used to love you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rapha how I used to love you

This is silly. Most of y’all don’t even give your everyday wear this much thought.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    Ha! I'm on there myself rn. The orange stuff is calling me. That and I need some type of cycling wallet (I've had 4 die in the last 8 years) and $35 for a waterproof (ergo sweatproof?) essentials case seems eminently reasonable.

Is this guy any good?
    Classic Wind Jacket II | Rapha

Wait, was that the piece that started this thread?
    I have a Classic Wind Jacket II, and it's great. I like this one a bit more though - lighter, more packable: Brevet Flyweight Wind Jacket

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adamrogers2009 View Post
    Rapha is a British company, and it's strong in the Anglo-Saxon world + Japan and S. Korea. Rapha is much less strong in the traditional cycling heartland of continental Europe, where the sport is still seen as a working class activity to a large extent.
    This is correct, Rapha’s target market is not continental Europe, it’s the places where cycling has been popular for 5 minutes.
    European cyclists tend to wear their team/club kit or some “free” kit from a gran fondo - which usually has a much more Euro pro aesthetic. In my experience the majority won’t pay Rapha prices when they can get the same quality (or better) for a fraction of the price from Nalini or Alè.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    This is silly. Most of y’all don’t even give your everyday wear this much thought.
    Damn straight I don’t.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    It may be that you live in the anomaly. You've just described LA, Sydney, San Francisco, and Miami...and that's just from the 4 posts that followed yours.
    You are describing some places among the wealthiest ones of the planet.

Now use your favorite vpn provider, try a few different country servers, put your browser in private browsing mode, get a list of terms used to say sportive/grandfondo/cycling event in different languages and try some google image search all over the world. You'll find out peoples are riding tons of different cycling kits from almost as many brands.

Quote Originally Posted by adamrogers2009 View Post
    Chime in please if I am wrong on this, but Rapha is a British company, and it's strong in the Anglo-Saxon world + Japan and S. Korea - i.e. the places where cycling has only grown a following from the 1970's "bike boom" or even later. Rapha is much less strong in the traditional cycling heartland of continental Europe, where the sport is still seen as a working class activity to a large extent.

This is important as the Rapha marketing is obviously based around cycling being an aspirational activity, not something for "those people" in the lower classes. I think the Rapha marketing won't work as well on the continent, Rapha knows this and thus has focused more on other regions thus far. The company is now getting big enough and well known enough all over the world amongst cyclists to finally have a go at the continent with a real shot at success.

If I'm talking out of my a*se please school me.
    I think you nailed it. I''d say that rapha may be big in the wealthy London boroughs and suburbs not that much countrywide.

I'll add that we (I include myself) at vsalon represent the N+1bikes dura-ace,superrecord,etap people who live in wealthy countries and decide to spend a relatively large amount of money per year into cycling. A large part of the cycling industry is targetting us because we are the people who fuel that market. But in term of actual amount of riding worldwide we are the minority and this is what I mean when I say that rapha has a very limited impact on people riding bicycles in general. The internet has changed a lot of things for us biketech-nerds. However most people riding bicycles still buy their bikes they will keep for at least 5 years or more at the nearest bike shop. Most don't really even choose the brand. They also buy their one and only cycling kit through the LBS or that large sporting goods retailer close to home. A majority of tech savy users will look for sales on the biggest online euro-cycling retailers before they give a try at rapha. Every single ride I bump into people who have been riding the very same bike for more than 10 years, with something like 2 different cycling kits they have been washing twice of three times a week for years. Bibs are more wear items and will be replaced more often but cycling jerseys are pretty much indestructible and can be worn for a decade before needing a replacement. Most people I see on the road either ride their club/group kit or a jersey from one of the local sportive event.

Rapha made a big change in cycling fashion. Not so much in the way we ride our bikes.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 02-14-2018 at 07:19 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally. My cycling wear budget exceeds my regular clothes budget by 10-1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StR View Post
    Had to laugh a bunch of times...

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
    H, what was your normal size and dropped size? I had to go with a XL for shoulders in the original wind jacket but if based on torso I would be a straight large. At 167-172 I'm perhaps about 7 pounds from perhaps a medium but the pendulum can swing down as easily as up.
    I am in that range and like the medium. But I am also 6’1.

Quote Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
    I'd like it to pack better but it does pack with a little bit sticking out.
    It easily sheds light rain.
    But, the most remarkable feature is it is dead quiet and I mean dead quiet at speed. You go 20-30-40+ and hear NOTHING. no flapping no helicoptering NOTHING.
    Agree
    Last edited by joosttx; 02-14-2018 at 09:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    Totally. My cycling wear budget exceeds my regular clothes budget by 10-1.
    True dat, girlfriend, SNAP!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks like Delta Airlines has "gone Rapha" too...

Zac Posen'''s new Delta uniforms take spandex to the sky | CNN Travel

rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is so true for me. I did 27 years in the military wearing uniforms every day then I went to work as an engineer at a company that provides uniforms. I have one suit, two dress shirts, 3 pair of jeans, and about half a dozen collared shirts along with a stack of tshirts. I have ten cycling kits, 6 pair of plain black shorts, about as many plain jerseys, a small tub of cycling socks, a drawer of cold weather cycling clothing, three pair of road shoes, three pair of MTB shoes including a winter pair, four helmets, six pair of sunglasses, and six bikes.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    This is so true for me. I did 27 years in the military wearing uniforms every day then I went to work as an engineer at a company that provides uniforms. I have one suit, two dress shirts, 3 pair of jeans, and about half a dozen collared shirts along with a stack of tshirts. I have ten cycling kits, 6 pair of plain black shorts, about as many plain jerseys, a small tub of cycling socks, a drawer of cold weather cycling clothing, three pair of road shoes, three pair of MTB shoes including a winter pair, four helmets, six pair of sunglasses, and six bikes.
    I've been wearing a uniform for 22 years myself and am totally helpless when it comes to dressing myself in my daily life.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Now use your favorite vpn provider, try a few different country servers, put your browser in private browsing mode, get a list of terms used to say sportive/grandfondo/cycling event in different languages and try some google image search all over the world. You'll find out peoples are riding tons of different cycling kits from almost as many brands.
    That sounds like a lot of work, so I'll just take your word for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I've been wearing a uniform for 22 years myself and am totally helpless when it comes to dressing myself in my daily life.
    That's why I'm seriously considering attending UBI in Portland this summer to get all my certifications for bike mechanic and shop operations. Shorts and tshirts for the rest of my life. When I leave this job in May, I'll empty an entire rack in my closet. Maybe I'll get a job in a shop that sells Rapha and every day will be sale day.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I put a lot of thought into not putting any thought to civilian wear

I haven't worn human socks in about 5 years. And that was before RS, The Athletic, Sako, Ridge Supply made it safe to peacock your extremities. #sockdoping, yo. Everyone is in on the act these days. My kid gave me a pair of dope socks for Xmas a few years ago. I was convinced he found the new Athletic/Team Dream somewhere on the not-so-dark web, but turns out he picked them up for $2 at Target; I regularly wear them with my Catella/Q36.5.

Let's see...I also haven't bought a pair of jeans/trousers in 3 or 4 years and if I'm not wearing Brooks Brothers chambray shorts, I'm in Levi's Commuter pants (their days are numbered), Catella and Swrve trousers. I don't even use that stuff on the bike.

I'll cross post this in The Art of Wardrobe. My pal #sockdoping in the office. He won't wear Raphas. Cat likes jerseys with giant pictures of Zapata or Che....#thenewprimal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    That's why I'm seriously considering attending UBI in Portland this summer to get all my certifications for bike mechanic and shop operations. Shorts and tshirts for the rest of my life. When I leave this job in May, I'll empty an entire rack in my closet. Maybe I'll get a job in a shop that sells Rapha and every day will be sale day.
    That’s how I roll. In College you could always tell who were the kids who went to private high school because they could not dress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

beautiful new colours... I love you Rapha

Classic Jersey II | Cycling Jerseys | Rapha Site

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    That’s how I roll. In College you could always tell who were the kids who went to private high school because they could not dress.
    Funny... when I was in college you could tell the kids who went to private high school because they knew how to dress. (But that was the 80's.)
    killing idols one at a time

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to an all boys Jesuit College Preparatory High School in LA. No uniforms but collared shirts were required and jeans were banned. One kid wore the same tshirt all 4 years.

Going to high school without girls is so weird.