Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rack mounts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rack mounts

I hate asking questions like this but I couldn't find an answer on the internets anywhere.

Is this a normal situation for the rack mounts on the back of the frame?

Basically the brake is in the way of the mounting lug, which means if I put a rack on their I can't brake anymore.

What's the solution? I figured it may just be a brake compatability thing (Shimano 105) and another caliper may fix it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AntLockyer View Post
    I hate asking questions like this but I couldn't find an answer on the internets anywhere.

Is this a normal situation for the rack mounts on the back of the frame?

Basically the brake is in the way of the mounting lug, which means if I put a rack on their I can't brake anymore.

What's the solution? I figured it may just be a brake compatability thing (Shimano 105) and another caliper may fix it.

Here's an answer:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Racks like a Tubus Cargo have really nice, adjustable upper struts. You can move them so the attach to the inside of the rack spool. If you're using a Blackburn or something like that, just do a little creative metal bending.
    Tom Palermo
    www.palermobicycles.com
    photos

Palermo Bicycles
    steel bicycles & frame repairs
    Baltimore, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'm going to have to make a new 'strut' and space it out with some nylon washers if I want to keep this rack (a freebie Blackburn).

I've been looking at Tubus for a couple of days and wasn't sure if that would solve the issue or just make it more expensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your seatstays must meet the seat tube on the sides versus the back, which is why you have the interference issue. The metal struts on most rear racks are MEANT to be bent to accommodate unusual configurations. Get yourself a few-most bike shops have tons of spares- and experiment. The good thing is the struts are steel so bending them won't weaken them. The stays don't necessarily need to be symmetrical for the rack to work; it's just nice for aesthetics. You could also try attaching the struts to the INSIDE of the braze-on, or ignore the braze-on altogether and use a single strut attached to the brake pivot bolt. For what it's worth, here's a photo of my back brake, a normal reach Shimano 105 dual pivot. As you can see, the seatstays meet the rear of the seat tube, making for a lower profile with regard to the rack:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they do meet the sides of the ST lug. I bent the shit out of the stays but as they have to go through a 90 degree bend they get very wide just at the point I don't want them too. I can rig a solution no problem. I would probablt make something very nice looking if I tried.

It just seemed strange to me that someone would build a problem into the bike. As it came with a campag headset I'm guessing it wasn't designed around Shimano brakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could mount your brake reversed, inside the stay. Ugly as homegrown sin but I think it would work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those two mounting bits shown in Peter's photo are the answer. Those suckers can be bent any which way you choose and will easily overcome the challenge of mounting your rack. In fact, it looks like peter's set up is just about what you need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just thought of another way to route the rack stays-I would have them bolt to the braze-on then head TOWARD the seat tube, then do a U-turn and head BACK toward the rack. This way the two stays will be symmetrical and have a narrow profile to clear the brake arm.

The bolt could actually thread into the boss from the outside and the excess thread protrude through the inside. Hang the rack stay on the threads and secure with a nut and washer. You may have to trim excess threads from the bolt but they'll be easy to clean up with a file.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless your going to carry a ton of weight, run a single stay down the middle of the rack, bend it downward, and attach it behind the brake caliper with the brake bolt. Basically, use the brake as your mounting point.

Visit your LBS if you need something better than what I've described. They rig stuff line this up all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did it last night. Much like Peter Polack said. I made the stays go just over vertical heading toward the seat post then 90 odd degrees back to the rack. Clears by about 2mm when the brake is pulled.