Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Quoc Vo hit by car and in ICU

Quoc Vo
    He is not famous.
    You probably do not know him.
    He got hit by car and we all need this to stop happening.

I knew Quoc because he was part of the very active New York City Independent School Technologists (NYCIST) consortium. It is a group of k-12 NYC technologists and has grown over the years to include people from NJ, CT, and other nearby areas. We meet as a group once a month, have an annual 3 day conference at Mohonk Mountain House, and hold other events to share, collaborate, and find new ways to improve and use educational technology.

I got to know Quoc even better in 2010 when my wife began to work at the same school as he did in NJ. We traded emails, phone calls, and saw eachother at the school where he and my wife both worked and at NYCIST events. We would talk bikes and he would share the latest carbon wonder thing he just got and I would tell him why titanium is better. He was dedicated to the lunchtime ride which I would always razz him about because as a k-12 school Technology Director you want to be available to teachers when they are available during lunchtime rather than out on your bike.

Life moves on and he took a job in NorCal and moved back to be closer to family and then my wife and I moved to Boston so we do not speak as often as we used to. My wife was in NJ and NYC this weekend visiting friends/family and heard what happened to Quoc. He was out riding his bike, got hit by a car, was almost killed, and is in ICU.

I have read all the stories posted here about cyclists getting hit by cars and I am as outraged as the next person but obviously this one is personal.

What the heck can we do to make this stop because I am sick of hearing about cyclists getting hurt/killed by a distracted/drunk/stoned car driver and then donating to their GoFundMe so their families are not bankrupted by medical bills and loss of income?

Quoc's Recovery Fund

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Quoc Vo hit by car and in ICU

Ugh. Sorry to hear. I wish I had the answers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brutal. I’m convinced road riding is going to be screwed until autonomous cars come along. People won’t put down their distractions, but I’m relatively confident they will take the laziest option available (let the car do the work). Until then, I don’t think there are any options.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A road system that's optimized--designed from the start--for the convenience of one type of user.

A legal system that consistently coddles that user--accountability is not required.

Political, administrative, and enforcement systems that are populated by that type of user.

So, we need to vote for people who use, and believe in, other forms of transportation.

Then, I'd like to see proficiency in all kinds of road use required for road licenses.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife said we should move to the Netherlands because there are more bikes than people and apparently this is the hierarchy:
    1 Bikes
    2 Pedestrians
    3 Cars

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, no. I am sorry to learn of your good pal Quoc.
    I am rooting for him for complete and fast recovery.
    Stay strong, Quoc. Many are wishing you the best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good question and one which I would’ve hoped some national cycling organization would’ve taken up by now. The entire conversation about pedestrian and cyclist safety has to change. The community needs a loud mouth to be shouting about this in every media outlet and stirring attention, much like some political battles are being waged. The public is just too numb to routine news stories where they don’t even mention the person’s name instead just calling them “cyclist.” Dehumanizing.

If I had time and unlimited resources I would hire and ad agency and then starting slamming municipalities with FOIA requests to demonstrate the uneven treatment these accidents get compared with car-on-car accidents. The tag line would be something like “your life is meaningless in NYC if you are on a bike.” Then I’d arrange for every bike messenger and delivery person to take two days off to send a message, even if I had to pay them to stay home since most messengers aren’t riding for hobby. I would put the issue in front of everyone everywhere with shock and awe. Next step is replacing elected officials and DAs who don’t acknowledge the problem and take steps to aggressively prosecute offenders.

Cell phone use= useless and unenforceable. I know only one person who got a ticket and he purposely used his phone at a traffic light with a cop parked next to him. Otherwise I don’t believe any effort is made to enforce it in real time ( though they probably charge after the fact if there has been an accident and they subpoena the phone bills....and then they count that as enforcement). The only way to stop that is to either disable the car or the phone when one of them is in use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to learn about Quoc. I don’t have answers, but I appreciate the questions.

Amsterdam sounds like an alternate universe...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some people are trying. At this moment a friend is hosting a fundraiser for a mayoral candidate in NYC who is a strong voice on street safety (and mass transit - it's related). I gave but couldn't make it. If you're in NYC, consider supporting Corey Johnson. And give to TransAlt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When can we get the big touch screens in cars eliminated too? That's gotta be part of the problem.

You're not allowed to touch your mobile phone (instant loss of licence in my [Australian] state now, quite rightly), but somehow taking your eyes off the road to navigate through three screens just to adjust your AC fan setting is fine? Really?

Sorry to hear about your buddy. Hope he recovers quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Done....$$paid. Hope he has a swift recovery - kia kaha.

Strange but true - I find drivers in Wellington, New Zealand to have poorer situational awareness than drivers in NYC. We also had a programme here where bus drivers swapped places with cyclists for a day: Bus drivers swap roles with cyclists | Stuff.co.nz.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I hope he recovers. I sport a titanium rod in my right leg from a crash in early 2017, though I remember nothing of the incident (woke up in the ambulance).

In-car distractions seem to be the biggest driver to me (pardon the pun). As an urban cyclist I am frequently close enough to cars as they pull up to intersections that I can see their head down, staring in rapt attention at the glowing screen. When they take off from a stop, their gaze often fails to shift back to the road. It's like they are in a trance.

It occurs to me that maybe we should have a system which requires both hands on the steering wheel at all times. If you move a hand off the wheel, you have a small window of time (enough to pick your nose, but not much more) to grab the wheel again or grab onto another control surface (turn signal, light switch, gear shift, window switch. ...). If that timer expires, you get a nice little shock. I realize that's probably impractical. Second choice would be more stringent penalties for killing or maiming cyclists or pedestrians.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry to hear this. I wish there was more we could do.

Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    I’m convinced road riding is going to be screwed until autonomous cars come along. People won’t put down their distractions, but I’m relatively confident they will take the laziest option available (let the car do the work). Until then, I don’t think there are any options.
    Despite High Hopes, Self-Driving Cars Are ‘Way in the Future’ - The New York Times

“You see all kinds of crazy things on the road, and it turns out they’re not all that infrequent, but you have to be able to handle all of them,” Mr. Salesky said. “With radar and high-resolution cameras and all the computing power we have, we can detect and identify the objects on a street. The hard part is anticipating what they’re going to do next.”
    I'm afraid autonomous cars are never going to deliver on the safety promises they have made.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swt View Post
    I'm sorry to hear this. I wish there was more we could do.

Despite High Hopes, Self-Driving Cars Are ‘Way in the Future’ - The New York Times

I'm afraid autonomous cars are never going to deliver on the safety promises they have made.
    Computers react more quickly than people because they do not get distracted by screaming kids, texts, phone calls, and other things that distract us silly humans. The main holdup with autonomous cars is that people do not want to give up control even though it has been proven the computers are better drivers than people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like Bobonli said, it's political will. The Dutch have it. Our (mostly) bought off short-sighted and timid asshats don't. Buried in these videos is a guy who talks about that. The rest shows the details of a people-centered city.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    Like Bobonli said, it's political will. The Dutch have it. Our (mostly) bought off short-sighted and timid asshats don't. Buried in these videos is a guy who talks about that. The rest shows the details of a people-centered city.

I once visited a friend in Nijmegen. He met me at the train station. I asked where was my bike and he said just grab any of them. Apparently he had 3 bikes stolen in about two months living there and basically would just take unlocked bikes and ride them home and then to class and to the bar or grocery store. When that bike was stolen he would steal another. So that is what we did.

That’s how one American (A Fulbright Fellow bioengineer) dealt with issues in the Netherlands.
    Last edited by joosttx; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

now that is civilized

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    My wife said we should move to the Netherlands because there are more bikes than people and apparently this is the hierarchy:
    1 Bikes
    2 Pedestrians
    3 Cars
    Just spent about 6 days in Amsterdam: Bikes Rule.

We rented and rode around most of the city one day.
    Pedestrians will get out of your way, gladly, with just a ring of the bell.
    The protected bike lanes and bike stop lights were amazing.
    Cars are respectful and do not try to run you over.

The bike lanes can be used by human powered bikes, electric powered bikes (limited to 25mph by law), and smaller gas or electric scooters (limited to 25mph by law).

It just works but it is cultural.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast