Thread: Quoc Vo hit by car and in ICU

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Quoc Vo hit by car and in ICU

Quote Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post

It occurs to me that maybe we should have a system which requires both hands on the steering wheel at all times. If you move a hand off the wheel, you have a small window of time (enough to pick your nose, but not much more) to grab the wheel again or grab onto another control surface (turn signal, light switch, gear shift, window switch. ...). If that timer expires, you get a nice little shock. I realize that's probably impractical. Second choice would be more stringent penalties for killing or maiming cyclists or pedestrians.
    Every new car could have a DMS tomorrow. Its not about having hands on the wheel but eyes on the road.

We're being sold on the pipe dream of L5 autonomy and no one is bothering to take the incremental steps that could make cars a lot safer in the near term.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    even though it has been proven the computers are better drivers than people.

To quote Alex Roy (who would undoubtedly scoff at this statement) "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence".

Not sure where you are getting this from, being as self-driving cars don't exist?
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I work in an industry that's pretty dependent on technology to keep things safe. And we f&*k it up daily. There's a line from a piece of safety literature: "If humans are involved, there will be errors/mistakes."
    Humans are involved in designing the self driving tech, just as they were with the flight systems on those jets that took several hundred souls to their deaths. Don't put all your eggs in the technology-will-make-things-safer basket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for posting this - I've known Quoc for a long time and he's a great guy. No one deserves this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12