Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality bike shops in NYC: high-tech, and lugs & wool

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Quality bike shops in NYC: high-tech, and lugs & wool

Looking for recommendations for shops to visit in the NYC area. In particular, either high-tech/racer-type shops, or lugs/large saddlebags/quill stems/Brooks saddles-type shops. Going for kind of a yin/yang thing here. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Quality bike shops in NYC: high-tech, and lugs & wool

Signature Cycles

131 Varick St #1021, New York, NY 10013
    (212) 706-0025

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was quite disappointed by Signature at their new location. They had very little retail stock and it's quite small compared to the old location. I would say it's now 95% fit studio and 5% retail,

Check out NYC Velo over on 2nd Ave at 4th St. Sid's at 151 W 19th St is also pretty good and Paragon Sports on Broadway at Union Sq can have a pretty good selection for a sports dept store.

We have stayed in Manhattan for the month of August for the last five summers and I have scoured the place to sate my need for bike interest during that month and I haven't come across a shop that carries much of what you are looking for. There are a few new shops that have popped up in Brooklyn that I'll be venturing out to this summer, namely Maglia Rosa, so there might be something.

Look out for a NYC specific forum and ask around there. You might get more info than I can give.

And you may get Jorn or Chase to pipe up. They're local and can surely give you more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would second the NYC Velo recommendation. They've got a couple of shops in Manhattan now but the 2nd Ave location is the best/favorite/first.

If you want to trek to Brooklyn I would also give a shout out to Maglia Rosa on Henry St. They just opened and its a cool vibe. Definitely more of the high-tech/racer type shop but the frames are by small builders and the shop is just generally a more "curated" collection of goods rather than a high end warehouse (e.g. R+A Cycles). Plus they have excellent food.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bdaghisallo View Post
    I was quite disappointed by Signature at their new location. They had very little retail stock and it's quite small compared to the old location. I would say it's now 95% fit studio and 5% retail,
    I would agree on the new location. Not that it matters but the old location was bigger but not that much different. Just more customer bikes on display.

If you want to find obscure part/service for your fixed/single or very old lugged frame check out:
    Bike Works NYC - Lower East Side Cycling Center
    I lived a 10 minute walk from them for many years and was a regular customer as they built me a new street bike every time one got stolen or stripped.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strictly Bicycles is just across the George Washington Bridge from Manhattan (at the 180th St level approx.) They have a pretty high zoot collection of bikes and frames, and they are located at the start of the 9W "muffin" ride if you want to rent a bike from them and follow the stream every Saturday and Sunday to Piermont and Nyack NY. They rent Pinarello road bikes. Get there by Uber maybe or helicopter.

R and A Cycles in Brooklyn is the store New Yorkers love to hate. They have a lot of high end bikes and frames and shoes and etc. They can be either tremendously nice and helpful or really annoyingly cold and unhelpful. But whatever. If you are just kicking tires, there are plenty to kick there. For a while, they used to be the only local place where you could try on most of the Bont shoe line.

Sid's Bikes used to be two shops and now it is one, but I'd say their service has actually gotten better as a result of the compression. They sell Specialized and Cannondale primarily with Moots as a high end brand. They also have a fitting service. Store is still adjusting to compressing all their stock into one location, but the people there are very helpful even if their knowledge can be spotty sometimes.

If you go to Sid's, you have to walk over a block or so and go to Grumpy Café. Excellent coffee.

As a VSalonista, you have to go to Maglia Rosa. That's the home brand. From Manhattan, take the F train to Court St. and then use Google maps to get there. Stop by Court Pastry Shop at 298 Court St. to pick up Italian pignoli cookies for Manuel at Maglia Rosa. He's the owner and fellow VSalonista.

Bicycle Habitat on Lafayette in Soho is a NYC institution. They now have two shops separated by a hipster hotel at that location, plus several other locations in the city. Charlie McCorkell is a cycling institution in NYC and a genuinely great guy. The shop still has some of its old pandemonium leftover from "back in the day" with bikes in and out and an infinite supply of employees (seemingly.) One shop has mostly single, fixed and city bikes and the other shop, which is still getting organized, is road bikes and mountain bikes.

NYCVelo is where I go to get my bike worked on when there is something I can't do myself - press bearings, headset install, wheel building, etc. They now have two shops, but the one in the East Village is where I take my bike. Excellent mechanics. They have decent stock of other things and more downstairs in the basement if you are looking for something specific. They can seem a bit aloof sometimes, but that's just giving you space to wander and they have some newer employees (a couple from Sid's actually) who are much more chatty if you need that. Nice people, bike people, and Pegorettis in the window.

Finally, you should go visit Chase at Rapha just because he's good people and the whole staff there is great, plus the coffee is good and so are the sandwiches in the café. And you can catch up on the latest pro-races while munching. Then pick up a new hat or socks or classic kit on the way out to go over to the Gansevoort Market next door for pizza.

Rides leave out of Rapha and NYCVelo during the week.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A vigorous endorsement for NYC Velo on 2nd Ave Chris is very knowledgeable--and they have Brooks. A well run, organized place; everyone races. I can't stand going into Paragon--it's a bit of a factory and full of tourists. Not far from Paragon and not mentioned so far is Chelsea Bikes, 130 West 26th St. Bet. 6th & 7th Ave. 646-230-7715. They do frame building (they have lugs) and frame repair. Not the most customer-friendly, but they know their stuff. They did have an NOS Campy NR chainring that fit my 1974 steed. At the bottom of a box, covered with dust--they kind of place. You would never find that at Paragon. The MBAs that place are too into supply chain management.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need a plan:
    1. Stop at Astor Place (near NYU) to eat Ramen at Ippudo.
    2. walk to NYC Velo, look at Pegs and buy some NYC Velo Kit.
    3. Get on a Citibike, ride across Brooklyn Bridge, gawk at Statue of Liberty, and continue across to Brooklyn and R+A Cycles to look at Colnagos.
    4. goof around in Brooklyn, rest of day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Visiting the Rapha store is a no-brainer because it's in one of the nicest areas of the city for hanging out, shopping, etc. with the Highline just steps away.

I wouldn't necessarily go out of your way to visit it, but if you are in midtown east and want to see the UN building (not sure why), Conrad's is a nice, small traditional bike shop with relatively high-end bikes. The Gios in the window is a whif of nostalgia.

If you want to see some over-the-top bikes and what is probably the largest and most complete collection of Assos clothing in the US, head out to Signature Cycles in Greenwich.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bike shops are cool and all, but if you're coming from across the country and have limited time in NYC, i dont think any of the NYC bike shops are really interesting enough to be an effective use of time. NYC has so so much to see and do that unless passing by a bike shop happens to be on a route to do something else, i'd pass personally. Happy's suggestion to do the Rapha store is a good one, the highline area and chelsea market are cool hang out locations.

some of my favorite bike viewing in NYC are the beaters that get locked up, some very interesting and hardworking bikes locked all over the city.

enjoy your visit!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing like whipping a Kryptonite chain around the top tube of your city bike to give it a nice ball-peened finish.

Additional attraction near Rapha is the new Whitney Museum - terrific building and amazing art. So there is one day planned. Rapha-Gansevoort-Highline-Whitney.

Also nearby - eat at Mary's Fish Camp. No reservations but staff is great and will get you in as quickly as possible. Food is excellent.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Per Angry Scientist's point, there is so much to do I've never gone in, but Gotham Bike Shop is right across the street from the apartment I use when in NYC.

The store front is well done. Never seen them recommended on the forum so presumably not much of a shop?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    bike shops are cool and all, but if you're coming from across the country and have limited time in NYC, i dont think any of the NYC bike shops are really interesting enough to be an effective use of time. NYC has so so much to see and do that unless passing by a bike shop happens to be on a route to do something else, i'd pass personally. Happy's suggestion to do the Rapha store is a good one, the highline area and chelsea market are cool hang out locations.

some of my favorite bike viewing in NYC are the beaters that get locked up, some very interesting and hardworking bikes locked all over the city.

enjoy your visit!
    This all day^

Looking at bikes is boring. Go experience the city.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NYC Velo is fine, but I wouldn't spend any time in NYC looking in bike shops.

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Also nearby - eat at Mary's Fish Camp. No reservations but staff is great and will get you in as quickly as possible. Food is excellent.
    I will say in my 39 years of life, I've never been treated as poorly at a restaurant as Mary's Fish Camp. I wouldn't recommend it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
    Conrad's is a nice, small traditional bike shop with relatively high-end bikes
    and a really most sincerely good mechanic. Expensive, but you never have to bring it back for the second fix of the same damn thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    You need a plan:
    1. Stop at Astor Place (near NYU) to eat Ramen at Ippudo.
    2. walk to NYC Velo, look at Pegs and buy some NYC Velo Kit.
    3. Get on a Citibike, ride across Brooklyn Bridge, gawk at Statue of Liberty, and continue across to Brooklyn and R+A Cycles to look at Colnagos.
    4. goof around in Brooklyn, rest of day.
    actually go to ippudo in midtown where there won't be a ridiculous line...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maglia Rosa is a must. Cool gear and they just released a damm good looking kit. Oh the coffee is really good. Lots of eye candy on display also. NYC velo, yes lots of pegs but they are all for tall people.

2 4th Pl, Brooklyn, NY 11231

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoa, did not know they had moved. The previous locations was super sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by bdaghisallo View Post

Check out NYC Velo over on 2nd Ave at 4th St. Sid's at 151 W 19th St is also pretty good and Paragon Sports on Broadway at Union Sq can have a pretty good selection for a sports dept store.

We have stayed in Manhattan for the month of August for the last five summers and I have scoured the place to sate my need for bike interest during that month and I haven't come across a shop that carries much of what you are looking for. There are a few new shops that have popped up in Brooklyn that I'll be venturing out to this summer, namely Maglia Rosa, so there might be something.

Look out for a NYC specific forum and ask around there. You might get more info than I can give.

And you may get Jorn or Chase to pipe up. They're local and can surely give you more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prcrstn8 View Post
    and a really most sincerely good mechanic. Expensive, but you never have to bring it back for the second fix of the same damn thing.
    In my ~9 years of riding with the New York Cycle Club I have never heard a mechanic adored so reverently as Yee at Conrad's. The guy is either a bona fide wizard, or else he's slipping mind-altering drugs to every client who visits, because I have never heard a remotely negative word about his work. If it weren't for the fact that I live as far away from Conrad's as geographically possible while still being on the island of Manhattan, I'd probably take my stuff in to Yee/Conrad's just based on the recommendations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    NYC Velo is fine, but I wouldn't spend any time in NYC looking in bike shops.

I will say in my 39 years of life, I've never been treated as poorly at a restaurant as Mary's Fish Camp. I wouldn't recommend it.
    Huh? I used to live about 50-meters from Mary's and go there frequently. This doesn't mesh with my own experience or that of anyone I know. There are any number of good restaurant choices that are much closer to the high line, but Mary's is undoubtedly a solid west village neighborhood choice.

I miss New York.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast