Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Q: Is this a Merlin Extralight?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Q: Is this a Merlin Extralight?

Merlin Extralight 55cm Ti Frame - Excellent Condition - 1 speed Ultegra | eBay

Never seen a headtube like that on an Extralight before - integrated headset ones had an hourglass appearance iirc. This looks almost like the re-issue by CC, but doesn't have the hooded rear dropouts.

Thoughts?

tia, m

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Q: Is this a Merlin Extralight?

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like

Odd.

It doesn't have the hooded dropouts of the CC version nor does it have the same seat stay to seat tube cluster or seatpost to seat tube sleeve. BTW - I like the "do not use" left in teh CC page title.

And from an older Merlin perspective, it doesn't have the 's' bend seat stays that Merlin did so nicely... but then again I don't think all the older ones had the 's' bend stays.

Perhaps Todd Holland can identify it. He was affiliated with the original Merlin road team.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly.

Plus, if it was a newer Merlin - they usually had an engraved Merlin around the top of the BB shell which I don't see. Can't see the dropouts well enough to see if any engraving there or not.

Older style "Merlin" script decal on downtube (M and E joined together). Obviously this can be added later.

Don't know if newer Merlin XL's had "XL" in the serial # like my older XL. Emailed seller for serial, replied w M59233 on drive side and "D" "A" "J" on non drive side. I don't know what to make of this.

Or is this something else restickered as a Merlin Extralight?

Post Thanks / Like

Not a CC re-issue:

This is a Merlin from the early 2000's - around the same vintage as the excellent XLC and the carbon/ti cielo model.

Great riding bike- if i can find a picture of mine will post up.
    What I am making now:7 sugars.
    Instagram: 7 sugars.

"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination.... Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic."
    — Jim Jarmusch

Post Thanks / Like

I have a '99 Extralight. This is not a CC reissue. My chainstays are straight. Merlin did do an integrated HT. Headbadge and Kellogg decal also seem legit.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info - but has anyone seen a headtube like this on a Merlin? The integrated headset models had an hourglass appearance, not like this one.

That is the unclear part.

Post Thanks / Like

That head tube is a lot prettier than the hourglass-type head tubes, like on my son's Agilis. Mine's a '95 and has straight stays. But a 1" head tube, so that one's a keeper.

I'm no expert, but the details look right. Dropouts, stay caps, pump peg, brake bridge, finish. To fake one at this point would be a lot of effort for a bike with only fair resale value. Bid away, looks like you'll get a deal on what appears to be a hangar queen.

Regarding decals on a Ti frame, they're hard to fake without refinishing. The originals leave a ghost image on the oxide layer. You can still read TITANIUM on my top tube even though those decals have been gone for a decade.
    Tödd Höllând

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate to buy shit we don't need. -- Tyler Durden

Post Thanks / Like

So Merlin was putting an 1 1/8" headset on their road bikes in 2000?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    So Merlin was putting an 1 1/8" headset on their road bikes in 2000?
    2001 maybe.

Tödd Höllând

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate to buy shit we don't need. -- Tyler Durden

Post Thanks / Like

1999 was 1 inch HT.