Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project for Tom Palermo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Project for Tom Palermo

Since hearing about what happened to Tom on Sunday morning, I haven't been able to get it out of my mind. I am on vacation with my family in Florida, but all I can think about is how much I want to be back in Baltimore right now. Thankfully we will make it back for a memorial ride and the services. I have been having long discussions with my wife about Tom and our desire to do something for him and his family. Everything is so raw right now, that it's hard to think clearly about what would be most fitting to honor Tom. My wife suggested that if I had been the one killed on Saturday, as any of us could have been, she would appreciate something that she could show my young daughter in the future of what her father did. And this is exactly what I want to do for Tom. Tom was a great guy, always warm. He loved his family immensely, something I got to see firsthand when I visited his house. We may not be able to bring Tom back to his kids, but we have an opportunity to create something for his wife and kids, who are too young now to really understand, to show them what he accomplished in this aspect of his life, as a framebuilder. My wife and I have decided that a book might be a good idea. We want to compile pictures, stories, thoughts about Tom and his bikes into a book that, when they are ready, his kids and wife can look at to see how much he was respected and loved in this community and the talent he had. So here is what I need:

Anyone with anything they want to contribute, please email me chris@bishopbikes.com and please cc my wife (she is an editor and will be helping me with this project) at cdefine8@yahoo.com. If you have any pictures of Tom's bike, if you are one of his customers, if you have pics of him at NAHBS or other shows or out riding; news stories; stories or statements you want to contribute about Tom, please email me.

I plan on posting this on framebuilders forum and classic rendezvous, and also on some of my social media (which isn't a lot). If anyone knows of anyplace else where I can or should get the word out, I would appreciate it.

I am thinking this project will take around 2 months.

I want this to be a tribute to Tom as he existed here, with us, in our small world of bike builders and bike lovers.

As stated earlier, I am still reeling, so if for any reason, this seems like a bad idea to anyone, let me know. Someone mentioned starting a fund for Tom's family in another thread, and I have thought about doing that. But I don't know the ins and outs of that process, I don't know if you need or should obtain permission from the family to start a fund like that? I talked to another framebuilder yesterday, who said that in these circumstances, acting soon is important because people forget quickly, so I am throwing my idea about the book out there now. I appreciate any feedback, and contributions and for letting me post this on this forum. I know that Tom belonged here, so I thought it was a good place to start.

Tom was always incredibly helpful and encouraging to me when I started out as framebuilder. I will never forget the ways he helped me. I hope we can create something for Tom to help his kids remember their father with pride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Project for Tom Palermo

Lots of love.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thread stuck on top for a while.
    Thanks atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely the right thing to do. Heartened to read this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A fitting collaboration between you and your wife. Nice idea.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good man. This will help the kids for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for this, I have never met Tom in person only here in the cyber space. What happened resonates for me, as a rider, father, husband. When my girls were young and I was riding more I always gave them a kiss and told them I loved them before I left, they asked why once..because I do and never a word to why. Our thoughts and prayers are for his family, may they know that others loved their Father, Husband, rider as well.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted a link to this thread across the hall and e-mailed a moderator there to hopefully make it a stickie on the home page.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chris, great idea.

Unsolicited idea. I lost my father to a car crash when I was 9. What I loved to hear, and still love to hear, are stories about him as a person. Really anything. What jokes did he like? What did he do with his buddies? Why did he like rebuilding MG cars? Why did he go to the Naval academy? No detail is too small. Tom's kids won't get to know him as a person. So, a thought might be that any stories people might have, I can tell you, will be cherished by his kids and appreciated.

Best to you, I am so torn over this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is really cool. I didn't know or even meet Tom but have heard of his bikes. I agree.. stories, pictures or anything will help the kids know and remember him (or at least the framebuilder part of him). It'll always be a place to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey everyone,
    thanks for the feedback.

There is now a website for the fund that Tom's family set up for his kids.

Children of Tom Palermo | Tuition - YouCaring

Also, I have been contacted by a lot of people in the bike industry who did not know Tom personally but want to help his family out with some sort of contribution, so there may also be a bike related project in the works as a fundraiser. An annual memorial ride is something a few people suggested that I'd like to help make happen as well. Thank you to everyone who has contacted me with suggestions and info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

donated

no better cause then education for kids who will now have to do without a dad.

i think i mentioned this on another thread regarding another painful loss, but while money is good to give, down the road the kids will benefit most from pointers, thoughts, help from this and other communities. got a summer job available? a good internship? that is the gold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The diocese is now calling for folks to support the vigil ride. It's a small step, but very much in the right direction.

Their statement references outreach by the ride's organizers. To the extent that involves folks here: good on you. Thank you for demonstrating compassion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chris:
    Thank you for this. I didn't know Tom well- but he was a great guy, a great builder and a bike guy- one of us. Man- if there is anything I can do to help in terms of work, promotion or anything else-please let me know.

I cherish this community of bike folks and those of us defining and creating and evolving our niche within this amazing sport and industry. I hate that it's shit like this that makes me think how lucky and awesome it is to have this fraternity/sorority with the best people in the world.
    Let's ride our bikes more, design and build more cool shit and do more of what makes us. This sucks though. It fucking sucks.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chris - I think this is an awesome project. I wish I had something to contribute to it. I didn't know Tom personally, so I don't have pictures, stories, or memories to share. However, I ran a story about Tom's death on The Retrogrouch Blog on Tuesday, and I just posted a story about the fundraising effort from YouCaring.com, and also brought up your project and included your contact info. Hopefully that will help get the word out there about your tribute project. Here's the article link: The Retrogrouch: The Bicycling Community Pulls Together for Tom Palermo I hope it's OK, I quoted some of what you had posted here on the salon. Thanks a lot for what you're doing! I love seeing the way the community is pulling together for Tom's family.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Brooks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bicycle1966 View Post
    Chris - I think this is an awesome project. I wish I had something to contribute to it. I didn't know Tom personally, so I don't have pictures, stories, or memories to share. However, I ran a story about Tom's death on The Retrogrouch Blog on Tuesday, and I just posted a story about the fundraising effort from YouCaring.com, and also brought up your project and included your contact info. Hopefully that will help get the word out there about your tribute project. Here's the article link: The Retrogrouch: The Bicycling Community Pulls Together for Tom Palermo I hope it's OK, I quoted some of what you had posted here on the salon. Thanks a lot for what you're doing! I love seeing the way the community is pulling together for Tom's family.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just an update. I was planning on updating this page today, but now that I have heard the charges and details of accident, a lot of emotions and anger, so I am going to keep this short.

Still collecting stuff for the book. Would like to have any material by February 6. Anyone is welcome to contribute, even if it is a short statement about Tom. These can be used to accompany the many photos. Also, any contributions can be kept anonymous if wanted.

I have been in touch with Tom's wife, who has show great strength and grace during this senseless tragedy. She is supportive of the project and has contributed pictures, being a photographer. It would be great if we can flesh out this book for her and the kids.

I know Tom wasn't a hugely prolific builder, but he built for many years, and I know of quite a few bikes that he built for which I can't find any photos, so again, if anyone knows of any customers who would be willing to contribute photos of their bikes, it would be nice to include as much as possible.

There is a big hole here in baltimore where Tom once was. I want to leave this thread with a pic of Tom doing what he loved, taken by his wife.
    TOM1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default NY Times today on Tom's accident

Major story in this morning's NY Times. I think this link will work:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/10/us...=top-news&_r=0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: NY Times today on Tom's accident

Chris, there are a lot of comments and statements of support on the site raising funds for his children.

An idea -- would this be appropriate as a section in the book? It could help make more permanent the statements.

Thank you for doing this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: NY Times today on Tom's accident

As an active cyclist and an Episcopalian I struggle with this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast