Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Project 2015 - the Breaking Away Masi - help from fans/Masiphiles needed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Project 2015 - the Breaking Away Masi - help from fans/Masiphiles needed

Hi all - my first thread here as a newbie.

Project 2015 is to put together an exact replica of the Masi Gran Criterium(s) from Breaking Away. It is not often that your wife endorses the addition of another bike to the collection and when she said I think you need a red bike it was obvious what it had to be.

I have got my hands on a US 1981 size 56 Masi GC – a size bigger than the movie but one I can ride and I think with the frame detailing that the 1978 movie edition had. US made Masi's are not common down here so I was very pleased to find it.
    I understand that both Masi’s used in the movie are around and make public appearances. Of the two the one in this photo appears to be in most original condition - click on the image for hi res enlargement:

Masi from Breaking Away

There are a few things I cannot work out from any information I have seen and was hoping there were a few resident Masiphiles or fans of the movie who can help. My questions are:

• What is the actual frame paint colour? - I need to get hold of a frame paint colour reference – preferably a colour chip or sample colour – the Masi red/orange looks different in every photo and I really don’t want to leave it to a guess. I would be very happy to cover costs for getting hold of a brush-out etc
    • What stem/handlebar combination does the bike have? – I am guessing a 3TTT Record stem(?)and no idea on the bars as I am only familiar with Cinelli stuff.
    • The front rim in the photo appears to be a super champion competition arc-en-ciel – would this be right? – I’m assuming this might be a later addition - Would Martano rims be more likely?
    • What toe clips and straps? Christophe and Binda(?) - the pic shows buckle straps
    I’m assuming the movie bikes would have been pretty stock standard and so where it is unclear I would be satisfied going with what was standard item
    I’m assuming the rear quick release is a later swap item from an original Campy one.
    The front derraileur is interesting for fanatics of detail – it appears to be a pre-circlip record item(?)

All help, encouragement and leads very gratefully received - In return I promise to leave almost no stone unturned to create an exact replica and post photos of the finished project

Thankyou

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Project 2015 - the Breaking Away Masi - help from fans/Masiphiles needed

Fun project. Go man go.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Project 2015 - the Breaking Away Masi - help from fans/Masiphiles needed

--- so many memories..

rode in the little 500 for the ATO team back in early 60's..., remember the 200 laps/50 miles on cinders so well..
    the movie is semi factual --- not the 60+mph drafting the semi.. i remember the dog in travelac just outside nashville and bc state park.., not really..
    swam so many times, nude in those quarries outside bloomington/bedford..
    i tried tracing the 2 masi's down years back.., one is gone and the other is with a collector --- with a few a few claiming to be, but not..

good luck and look forward --- & remember, "none of that unie shit.."

love'n my pasta with a smile,

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like

Of course I have never seen the bike in person-and photos and film can do funny things with color-but I always assumed that the bike was orange as Masi was one of the three Italian builders who associated themselves with Eddy Merckx in any way they could and that was the team bike color for Molteni (whether or not they actually built any bikes for Eddy during the Molteni years)

Post Thanks / Like

Incidentally, that may be the bike from the movie, but there are a few things that have me scratching my head...The movie was released in 1979 which should plavce the bike a year or two earlier. That would be a little early for brazed on shift levers, top tube cable guides, although the bottle braze-ons started to appear earlier...Those skewers are replacements for certain...The bottle cage appears to be a T.A. that has lost its plastic bottle retainer....and I would also wager that the bar tape is a later replacement as in that era it would have likely been cloth....The bar and stem appear to be 3ttt...record model for the stem and likely Competizione for the bars. My guesses are only from somebody who lived through the era as a bike obsessed kid...there are no doubt experts who are specifically obsessed with the movie and you could probaby subject yourself to their wrath at the Cycling Rendezvous list....

Post Thanks / Like

Rich Gängl (Gangl Custom Cycles) restored one of the film bikes a few years back. He might be able to answer a lot of your questions.

Post Thanks / Like

This might help in your quest...check the link to Hovey's site. ERichie was involved in quite a restoration project, which I'm sure is out there on the web. I belive that it was a much earlier vintage Masi though.

Travels with a Tin Donkey: A Herd of Tin Donkeys: My 1981 Masi Gran Criterium

Post Thanks / Like

Cutter? You're not a cutter, you're a cutters kid. I'm a cutter!

Someone had to say it :)

Cool project.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the bike Rich restored may be hanging on the wall at Schwab Cycles in Lakewood CO.
    Last edited by Ken C; 03-02-2015 at 11:52 AM. Reason: addl info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dadoflam View Post
    There are a few things I cannot work out from any information I have seen and was hoping there were a few resident Masiphiles or fans of the movie who can help. My questions are:

• What is the actual frame paint colour? - I need to get hold of a frame paint colour reference – preferably a colour chip or sample colour – the Masi red/orange looks different in every photo and I really don’t want to leave it to a guess.
    The colour is a "tomato" red, i'd contact Brian Baylis or other former masi employees, there are several (google)
    they should know what colour code or how to match it. The decals are not typical for a Masi (doesn't have the
    Gran Criterium section on the down tube).

• What stem/handlebar combination does the bike have? – I am guessing a 3TTT Record stem(?)and no idea on the bars as I am only familiar with Cinelli stuff.
    3TTT. There are 4 different shapes of bends

bends: reach/drop width is measured outside/outside
    Tdf bend 76/138
    Maes bend 80/144
    Paris Roubaix Giamondi (Criterium rounded corners). 80/148
    Merckx bend. 86/156

The Christopher bike looks like the Merckx bend. The bar tape is not original, it has cotton in the movie.

• The front rim in the photo appears to be a super champion competition arc-en-ciel – would this be right? – I’m assuming this might be a later addition - Would Martano rims be more likely?
    Martano was common for Masi, but the Christopher bike has a Super Champion sticker on
    the front one for sure, can't see a sticker on the rear.

• What toe clips and straps? Christophe and Binda(?) - the pic shows buckle straps
    I’m assuming the movie bikes would have been pretty stock standard and so where it is unclear I would be satisfied going with what was standard item
    Hard to say from the pics, but Binda straps would be common.

The front derraileur is interesting for fanatics of detail – it appears to be a pre-circlip record item(?)
    All the campagnolo parts appear to be pre-CPSC changes, consistent with 1977-78.
    You can google that, there is lots of info on what constitutes the difference between
    the parts before and after 1978. The brake lever hoods in the photo are replacements.
    The originals would have the "globe" logo, not the "shield" logo as shown.

All help, encouragement and leads very gratefully received - In return I promise to leave almost no stone unturned to create an exact replica and post photos of the finished project
    Not sure it can be an exact replica if the frame you own is 3 years younger and another size.
    But at the end of the day, i don't think that point is too important, go with your gut and have fun.
    There are more photos of this bike out there, they may help. Since you are having a frame refinished,
    I would go with all new old stock parts, and not a bunch of used parts on a new looking frame.

-g

Last edited by GrantM; 03-02-2015 at 01:25 PM.
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like

Grant M,

Damn man. You are an aficionado's aficionado.

-Mark

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like

The bicycle in the OP has a Fisher sand-cast crown, and the ones in the film had a Cinelli semi-sloping MR crown.

Post Thanks / Like

The photo you linked is from my friend Alex's blog. I just sent him this thread.

That particular Masi belongs to Dennis Christopher and was the one Dave rode in the film. He got to keep it after Breaking Away wrapped production. To the best of my knowledge (aka what Alex told me) Dennis has never ridden it and left it as-is.

Here it is from when it was on display last spring: https://instagram.com/p/mdWgqjAt74/?modal=true

Hi all - my first thread here as a newbie.

I understand that both Masi’s used in the movie are around and make public appearances. Of the two the one in this photo appears to be in most original condition - click on the image for hi res enlargement:

Masi from Breaking Away
    Thankyou

Post Thanks / Like

This is a pretty cool concept. As an IU grad and former Little 500 rider from the 80's (Delta Tau Delta), I remember this bike well! I always thought it would be cool to find one and restore it too. Now I'll just watch it done through the internet.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like

This is sounding like the "which bicycle did Eddy really break the Hour Record on?" issue. There are several that have been paraded out as the genuine one, but only was was genuine. I'm not the last word here, and I did care about these things more once. I recall vividly that the movie bicycle had a Cinelli MR crown, Cinelli 303 top tube guides (the slanty ones with the slot in them) and the short Campagnolo 1010B dropouts. The link in the OP as well as the Instagram pic show differently. My opinion is that these are other bicycles that were not in the film, and also that the one shown from Australia is either a repaint and update, or an 80s frame with a 70s fork.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    The bicycle in the OP has a Fisher sand-cast crown, and the ones in the film had a Cinelli semi-sloping MR crown.
    That's a keen observation.

What i've read there were two Masi's for the movie, plus a 'stunt' bike for the
    pump in the front wheel scene that was painted to resemble the masi.
    There was also a spare fork they bent and then installed to shoot the bike after the race crash,
    but for the actual crash scene they used the Sears bike for the stunt.

Given the crown variation, this likely means the Christopher bike is actually the spare bike,
    not the one he was filmed riding in the movie?

Breaking Away Masi | Urban Velo

The other Masi from the movie was aparently at NAHBS 2013 in the Gängl booth.
    It was crashed and needed a toptube replacement. Most of the parts look to be period incorrect.
    But the crown does look like the version in the movie.

Post Thanks / Like

The fork on the bike ridden in the movie does appear just as E-Richie described.

-g

crown.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Rumor has it that ERichie and Grant were consultants to the Warren Commision...

Post Thanks / Like

And I thought after doing a period correct '72 Cinelli restoration and working my way through the Campy and Cinelli component variations that this one would be a piece of cake and I could give my OCD a rest.......Good thing I have some time to get it finished. I'm going to have to refine my focus to a finer level of detail than simply whether the fork is a double plate or sloping type.

The bike that appeared in the NAHBS always looked suspect because the seatpost and saddle are incorrect but if it was displayed by Gängl it is likely to be the one listed on the Hovey Masi register as one of the movie bikes - the register notes repairs by Gangl. Repairs would suggest it has ben used in which case a change in saddle would not be unusual - I cant stand Unicanitor saddles myself.

For better or worse this is the frame that will be the basis of my project - it also appears on the Masi register and is listed as having same fork crown type as the movie bike...fingers crossed it is correct configuration.

Post Thanks / Like

The bike that appeared in the NAHBS always looked suspect because the seatpost and saddle are incorrect but if it was displayed by Gängl it is likely to be the one listed on the Hovey Masi register as one of the movie bikes - the register notes repairs by Gangl. Repairs would suggest it has ben used in which case a change in saddle would not be unusual
    It's a shame the Gangl restoration appears to be all replacement parts. Bars and stem are Cinelli,
    The campagnolo is a mishmash of newer models. It's common for this to happen,
    even Andy Hampsten's a Giro winning bike had some parts taken off, I guess at the time people didn't
    have the foresight to leave them alone.

-g