Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Professional Cameras for the Bike

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Professional Cameras for the Bike

The best little cameras were always Leicas and Olympus.
    Congratulations: there are a million photographers looking to be published and very, very few publishers looking for a photographer.
    I came here for the socks.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations JoostX! I am a fan of Micro 4/3rd. I think you could fit a Pen F in a handlebar bag no problem.

I have printed 16x20 for a show using the pics from the EM1 which is basically the Pen F.

Cheers,
    -Joe

Post Thanks / Like

One more point about the RX1RII worth mentioning: no image stabilization, except a digital version that only works for movies, not photos. By all accounts I've seen it's an amazing camera, but if you have optical image stabilization turned on for your RX100, you might want to try it with that feature turned off to see how it affects your results and whether you can do the same style of shooting with the RX1RII.

Post Thanks / Like

Houston....I totally agree with your publisher that the quality of your photos would improve significantly if you purchased a new camera. Send your old Sony to me as soon as your Leica arrives and I will cover postage. RW
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like

I think that you should also buy a new bike for this venture to be prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    I think that you should also buy a new bike for this venture to be prepared.
    Yes, I agree. Perhaps they will provide me a with a Crumpton gravel bike.
    ***Instagram***
    my name is Houston

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    Yes, I agree. Perhaps they will provide me a with a Crumpton gravel bike.
    That funky Lauf fork will make up for the lack of camera stabilization.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    That funky Lauf fork will make up for the lack of camera stabilization.
    very good point.
    ***Instagram***
    my name is Houston

Post Thanks / Like

no fuji love?

Post Thanks / Like

X100t/f?
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zetroc View Post
    X100t/f?
    This is def the far more cost-effective Leica suggestion, if you must buy a new camera. When I spend money on something next, it will be on one of these or an X-Pro2. Half the EFLA shots came out of a Fuji X-Pro.

I've been using a Leica M240 for the past couple of months and find the rangefinder format to be the perfect size for bike photos...for some reason I have an ergonomic issue with small p&s boxes, even bigger ones like the Sony RX. The rangefinders like the Fujis and Leica are just big enough to get a good grip on, but still small enough to port around. Riding with my 5D gets old.
    NK / AC

Post Thanks / Like

Very recent review of the newest iteration of the Fuji X100 on DPReview that's worth reading.

Fujifilm X1F Review: Digital Photography Review

Borrow, rent, steal before you buy. See what works for you.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    If I was an editor, I'd view it as a marketing angle in fact. Probably put a small photo of your most battered camera somewhere in the afterwords.
    This. And I'm the king of buying for the hell of it, let alone having a reason!

I'm always jealous of how good your pics look - they're a source of inspiration and serve as a useful goal for me. This is well deserved.

Post Thanks / Like

Paging Mr Nierman....

Post Thanks / Like

the olympus micro 4/3 have built in image stabilization fwiw. you can do a lot with a pancake lens and one of those. otoh an all-in-one (no interchangeable lens) is usually handier and the image quality on the better ones is pretty outstanding

Post Thanks / Like

My own two cents, is that the Fuji X100T deserves some consideration. It fits in my North St handlebar bag perfectly. It's design allows for a high level of customization and control of the settings. However, "yes", it's focal reach is limited by the 23mm lens but it is so well tuned to the sensor that it really does yield some quality results. Congrats on the opportunity to be published. Your images here on V'Salon are simply stellar.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Sony RX100 VIII. Love the pictures, hate the menus and getting what I want out of the camera is more difficult than it needs to be. If you Lean Sony's way. I'd rent one and make sure you are OK with their user interface. IMO, it sucks.

Len

Post Thanks / Like

I really wish someone would explain the whole UI thing to so many of the camera makers. I spent years with Canon and just have to say their UI was nearly perfect. But a 5DmkII and nearly all of their sharp lenses are just way too big. I never warmed to the G9 I had and when it was stolen in Belize, I took the insurance money and moved on.

But the UI on the Panasonic and I hate to say Olympus (I'm looking at you Pen F) are just so disjointed and hard to use in the field. To hear Sony suffers from the same woes is sad indeed.

A digital M3 for less than to cost of a good used car would be fine thanks! 2 independent control dials for aperture and shutter speed. Simple aperture or shutter preferred automation, ISO, color temperature. A simple compensation method. A simple choice of focus points and/or focus lock. A choice of meter patterns if you want to get fancy. Full frame sensor would be sublime but m4/3 would be fine.

Why is this so hard?
    Guy Washburn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    I really wish someone would explain the whole UI thing to so many of the camera makers. I spent years with Canon and just have to say their UI was nearly perfect. But a 5DmkII and nearly all of their sharp lenses are just way too big. I never warmed to the G9 I had and when it was stolen in Belize, I took the insurance money and moved on.

But the UI on the Panasonic and I hate to say Olympus (I'm looking at you Pen F) are just so disjointed and hard to use in the field. To hear Sony suffers from the same woes is sad indeed.

A digital M3 for less than to cost of a good used car would be fine thanks! 2 independent control dials for aperture and shutter speed. Simple aperture or shutter preferred automation, ISO, color temperature. A simple compensation method. A simple choice of focus points and/or focus lock. A choice of meter patterns if you want to get fancy. Full frame sensor would be sublime but m4/3 would be fine.

Why is this so hard?
    Makes you wish Ricoh wasn't such a niche brand.
    If they revived the GXR, or launched any kind of mirrorless system for that matter, I'd buy one sight unseen.

Post Thanks / Like

A photojournalist friend said that if you could think down and left (or left and down - can't remember - basically the way a book or magazine is read in Japanese, back to front instead of front to back) menus on cameras make more sense.

I don't know whether that's true, but menu systems may be where Japanese and Amer-Euro cultures bang into each other. Otherwise it is just point and shoot.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books