Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Prep'ing a Ti Frame

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Prep'ing a Ti Frame

I'm not a dentist/doctor/lawyer, so I may have reached my midlife crisis; I bought a titanium frame. This is particularly frightening, considering I haven't reached 33. It's a used Litespeed Siena, a reasonable foray into this material realm. I'm sure that Tom, Mike, Baum, Carl, Vertigo, the fine people at IF could build me a frame more suited to me, but it will do for now.

The threads are all in find shape in the bottom bracket. The headset is an integrated type and the bearings dropped in just fine.

Do I need to apply some kind of prep compound before installing the bottom bracket? The seatpost I'd like to install - an Am Classic Ti post - seems to be a really tight fit. It's the appropriate size, but it jams up at about 2" in. Any suggestions?

Anything else you would do to prep the frame for use? Winter use?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Prep'ing a Ti Frame

Sasha:

You will like the Siena. Good design. The AC Ti posts are usually quite tight. Since most of the Sienas had an aluminum sleeve in the seat tube, it is very easy to ream a tad. If you got one of the early Ti only seat tubes, reaming can be done, it is just a bit more time consuming. If all Ti, you MUST use an assembly compound. Once you have done that, use some sort of Ritchey or Tacx carbon post assembly compound in there to keep it from slipping AND from freezing. We use both grease and Teflon tape on all of our bottom brackets. Seems to keep noise to a minimum. Have fun.
    Tom Kellogg
    Rides bikes, makes 'em too.
    Spectrum-Cycles.com
    Butted Ti Road, Reynolds UL, Di2, QuarQ, Conour lite, SP Zero
    Steel Cross, X-7, Crank Bros, Concour Lite, Nemesis, Grifo
    Steel Piste, D-A Piste, PD-7400, Concour lite, Zipp 404
    http://kapelmuurindependent.be

Shortest TFC Member (5'6 3/4") & shrinking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Tom,

What type of grease do you use in the BBs on your Ti frames?
    Last edited by John M; 10-27-2010 at 08:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, thanks Tom. I'm glad to hear you think it's a nice design. Not everything about the frame is ideal for me. If I were to order something from the ground up, I wouldn't have an internal headset, more space for fenders. We'll see about the angles and such. I've certainly never had such an aggressively compact bike.. But I'm excited about it all the same.

Assuming the seat tube is all ti (the frame is from 2002), is this the kind of thing a well-equipped but regular ol' shop can do easily? Or should I take it to someone with a little more expertise?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do not use teflon tape it crushes threads it has no give to it that is the way it is designed ask any plumber once used it renders the parts useless down the road for proper fit. For BB use a high teflon plumbers dope it should be as white as possible it will prevent interaction and serve as a soft locking compound that will never harden or lock up permanently. Use copper or nickle anti seize on all other Ti threaded parts or press fits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On mine I always used a standard grease, something better than white lithium but nothing too special, for any ti/al interfaces, and ti prep for any ti/ti interfaces. Never had any problems.