User Tag List

Thread: Potential sponsorship

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Potential sponsorship

Let's say I wanted to sponsor a CX team for next season...

How would I go about learning about the process, identifying teams, assessing options and investment levels?

Basically looking for a primer on becoming a sponsor.

Teams are welcome to PM, understanding that this is at an exploratory stage.

TIA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Potential sponsorship

You should affiliate with a team or club or a rider.
    You have a product or money to support with?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--- first and foremost, answer to yourself..

your dollar investment for a within roi or a business investment wanting a sales or marketing roi..
    are you or your investor/s compatible with the team members, team owner, team's other associate sponsor/s..
    can you smile, sit on the sideline and let the team owner/manager do what they do best --- create podiums..

& with a smile & them green scarce-faced greenbacks in your pocket/account.., look no further it's right here -- & enjoy....

ronnie hope'n' for your smile too

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks like a one man team around Zach McDonald will do good for cross, and will give you a lot of attention if that's what you're after.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be interested in what you want to get out of it? Develop the sport in a particular age group, bring people into a certain area of the country, work with a particular FrameMaker, market your company, beat a rival company's team, etc.

From there it's a matter of how best to get at that goal. If getting more juniors to national level it might be paying coaching, subsidizing race entry, and travel costs. If you're ibex and want to cut into Rapha's market share you could hire some stud riders, etc.
    Andy

RAI Reporter: "Did you have it in mind to go for the win today?"
    Eddy Merckx: "Why do you ask me that? Why do you think I'm here? To watch the others win?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If by chance you've got a baby masters team for has beens trying to keep the dream alive in mind let me know. I'm entertaining offers for next season...
    Andy

Eddy Merckx: "Why do you ask me that? Why do you think I'm here? To watch the others win?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To answer a few Qs:

Going for sraight up brand awareness.

Health related product.

Need to evaluate exposure and cost relative to all other potential marketing vehicles.

Budget is available, but details shall not be posted here or anywhere.

The OP was intentionally open ended, but hoping to hear from people with direct experience on either side of a sponsor deal more than marketing 101.

I could ping a few folks I know, but hoping for fresh ideas...

PM is prob the way to go...

Thanks, VPlace!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TTX1 View Post
    To answer a few Qs:
    Zach McDonald

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TTX1 View Post
    To answer a few Qs:

Unless you're a primary / naming-rights sponsor I'd be cautious about how much brand awareness you'll get from a couple of square inches on a jersey.

As a secondary sponsor you can leverage the "as used by XXX" and tap into the team's existing marketing material and efforts, but this will cost you time and money to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why CX?

I've been involved with professional racing for 9 seasons. Seems most sponsors have a love of cycling and that's what brings them into the sport. I'm sponsoring a team for 2015 but the decision had nothing to do with selling more tools and everything to do with R&D. If it sells some more stuff, great but it's not what I'm after at this point. I'd be curious to see what the marketing studies and numbers have to say about the business side of things and the exposure you can get for your dollar.

I know a decent number of team DS's and managers on the road side of things I could put you in touch with if you'd like. It would be a good place to start the info hunt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless you a primary or large secondary sponsor, your brand won't get a lot of exposure. I'd think sponsoring events and having booths/tents would create a larger brand awareness.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope you've gotten some good info and the sponsoring gig is coming on.

Saw this article. Focused obviously on the World Tour but might be interesting for the discussion.

Sponsoring the race instead of the team
    Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"make the break"

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are we talking an elite level team that does some travelling or are we talking a grassroots team that competes in regional events? I can speak from the team side of grassroots sponsorships...

A grassroots team is looking for (in order of importance to the team):
    1) Cash - usually coming from local businesses that have an interest in cycling or a relationship with a team member. This will sometimes include product or other support. Our title sponsor, who is a cyclist and has a long history of supporting local cycling gives cash and provides a lot of product support (beer and promo items - hats, stickers, magnets, openers, etc...). Smaller sponsors, such as a local pizza shop will cut us a modest check annually and in return we show up there most Wednesday nights for dinner and brews after our ride. The pizza shop isnt getting any real exposure outside of team members and those few outsiders that we might bring on a wednesday night.

2) Product Support - sport related product that the atheletes can use. If you have a need, this could provide you with real world feedback from users that typically know what they're doing. In my mind, this would be more valuable to you as R&D, though its not often that our sponsors look for this as they've typically got established products.

3) Discounted goods - This is usually bike specific stuff... components, frames, bikes, etc. For the team, this is a benefit of being a team member, though members do need to earn any product support whether free or discounted.

The size and placement of your logo is determined by your level of committment. You can expect logos on websites, signage at events (if you provide the signs), etc. This type of stuff will only give you limited exposure though, to people that may well already know about your goods or services. In you're contract, I would require the sponsored athletes to help market your products well beyond simply wearing their kits and putting up signs. For example, my team's title sponsor is a local brewing company... we're required to take beverages that they provide to events and pass it out to all comers, free of charge; spreading the gospel, as such (Its a tough gig). Some industry sponsors require us to put on product demos which we'll do at our events, trail work days, large beginner friendly group rides, etc. This provides more exposure than a logo on a kit, for sure and it can be targeted to the people who need to know about your product. It also gives some value to the event itself, so it really benefits both parties.

Think outside the box when drafting up your contract. If you only ask for a logo on a kit, that's about all you'll get. You really need to leverage the members of the team to do some marketing for you to get any return on your investment.
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to all who have responded here or PM'd.

I've learned a lot.

The insights and experience here are never fail to impress.