User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: pointless experiment braintrust: 26" MTB drop bar conversion - any pointers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: pointless experiment braintrust: 26" MTB drop bar conversion - any pointers?

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    The bike descends very well. No way I can keep up with it on single track when on my gravel bike. I do think you are a little slower on it climbing compared to your more normal bikes. But only slightly
    That’s right on the money! Flies downhill but definitely a bit porky when fighting gravity compared to my Slate. That said, when the climbing is super technical, the rear wheel glues itself to the ground and it really comes into its own.
    Drop bars not bombs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: pointless experiment braintrust: 26" MTB drop bar conversion - any pointers?

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    Yeah, although the chain skipped on me a handful of times over the weekend when out of the saddle and punching over some climbs, so I have to figure that out. Hopefully it's just the cheapo spare parts cog I threw on there.
    Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Looks like you have some room on that chainring guard to run a bigger ring. Why not run the biggest ring/cog combo you can to minimize chain tension?

And thanks for the tip on bar setup.

TH
    Regarding the skipping chain - this may be due to rear triangle flex. Way back in the day we had to use extra tension in any type of chain tensioner on Ti frames that were rigged to be single speeds because that great Ti ride in the woods was partly due to the “ just right” amount of flex. But that same amount of flex would throw chain when it was rigged as a single speed by using a rear d as the tensioner.
    Just a thought...
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have been toying w/ the idea of drop bars on an Ibis mojo hardtail itīs been 10 yrs already. Itīs slightly small for me so a good candidate for adding the extra room of the hbar drop/reach. I have the midge already which i love the shape. Still need a rigid fork at 415-425mm A-C and a pair of tektro V levers. There is a chinese titanium fork on ebay that mimics the Yo Eddy design. Itīs not cheap but every 60 dollar fork is 130 dollars now so i will deal w/ the 300 pricetag. Otoh the bike works so well w/ a flat bar i keep delaying but the marz fork is shot so it may be the green light. Remaining unresolved issue is the ultegra bar end levers add too much weight to the end of the bars and my wrists donīt like shimano brifters. I donīt want a singlespeed.
    I came here for the socks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bewheels View Post
    Regarding the skipping chain - this may be due to rear triangle flex. Way back in the day we had to use extra tension in any type of chain tensioner on Ti frames that were rigged to be single speeds because that great Ti ride in the woods was partly due to the “ just right” amount of flex. But that same amount of flex would throw chain when it was rigged as a single speed by using a rear d as the tensioner.
    Just a thought...
    haha - how dare you accuse my 25 year old Slingshot of frame flex! Heresy!!!

Good point though - I will just have to see what happens with the couple of easy things I can do. I've already removed a link of chain, and I'm trying to grab an 18t cog so I can go from 32x16 to 36x18 for a little more chain on gear contact area at TH suggested.

Back to drop bars!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    Still need a rigid fork at 415-425mm A-C and a pair of tektro V levers. There is a chinese titanium fork on ebay that mimics the Yo Eddy design. Itīs not cheap but every 60 dollar fork is 130 dollars now so i will deal w/ the 300 pricetag. Otoh the bike works so well w/ a flat bar i keep delaying but the marz fork is shot so it may be the green light.
    Assume your Mojo is 1-1/8? The 1" steerer straight leg fork on my Sling is a Carver branded unit from Bikeman that I purchased a month or two ago. They also sell a matte black Kona version with the same 410mm axle to crown. $60 for each. I'm still on the hunt for one of the super cool triple butted Project IIs that drop 200-300 grams. I'm sure you've found the multitude of alu/carbon straight leg forks out there on eBay which are 420mm A-C. I have one of those in my barn (also 1") that I'm not using.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    Assume your Mojo is 1-1/8? The 1" steerer straight leg fork on my Sling is a Carver branded unit from Bikeman that I purchased a month or two ago. They also sell a matte black Kona version with the same 410mm axle to crown. $60 for each. I'm still on the hunt for one of the super cool triple butted Project IIs that drop 200-300 grams. I'm sure you've found the multitude of alu/carbon straight leg forks out there on eBay which are 420mm A-C. I have one of those in my barn (also 1") that I'm not using.
    1 1/8. I already have the 40 degr 135mm salsa stem. I feel drop bars go well w/ rigid forks. The mojo has a low bb and adjusted for 63mm travel. 415-425mm is ok depending on rake. A vicious fork would be nice but hard to find. There is the Salsa, discontinued. I could order a custom fork and stem... but itīs a 26in rim brake bike. Decisions!
    I came here for the socks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very true I notice that watching you climb techincal stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNerdyCyclist View Post
    That’s right on the money! Flies downhill but definitely a bit porky when fighting gravity compared to my Slate. That said, when the climbing is super technical, the rear wheel glues itself to the ground and it really comes into its own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheNerdyCyclist View Post
    DO EET! DO EET NAO!!

Seriously, this bike makes no sense and yet when I ride it, it makes perfect sense. At 25 pounds, I do wish it was a little lighter so I'm sort of always on the hunt for a Blur Carbon...
    First draft finished and hit the trails this weekend. It's ugly as $hit but works really well. The drops really seem to give the impression of a lower Cg - which is noticeable on this 130/130 bike and I can ride it as long as I want without even thinking of finger numbness. The brakes (Sram Force mechanical pulling TRP Hy/Rds with 180/160 rotors) are "sufficient" as it sits - but I'm a pansy and I've never run out of brakes on any modern bike here in SE Michigan. I have 203/180 stuff that will probably go back on though.

Railing through singletrack and launching tabletops with nice high drop bars is a freaking blast and a half. 28.1 lbs as photo'd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NICE!!!!!

130mm front and rear with drop bars is my brand of crazy. Don't worry about the ugly, everyone thought compact frames were ugly back in the day too. If you want to get a little more efficient on the ride to the trail, the Rene Herse Juniper Ridges are sublimely fast and plenty grippy.
    Drop bars not bombs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember reading so much hate and disdain on this very forum when a picture of that bike was posted (sorry can't find the thread):

This is funny.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:41 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I remember reading so much hate and disdain on this very forum when a picture of that bike was posted (sorry can't find the thread):

This is funny.

I remember when you had something positive to write once.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that was positive. You on the other hand seems grumpy today. :-)
    --
    T h o m a s

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234