Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Plan my trip to CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Plan my trip to CA

Ok so here is the deal. Flight School and racing in the summer have been wearing me down some so I plan on actually taking some time off during winter and making the trek out to CA . Fortunate for me I can catch a flight there and back so airfare is not really an issue. However, I can tell you that I will not be staying in the most expensive hotels and sipping the finest glasses of wine. I have thought that this will be a 5 day or so venture but if it gets a little longer then I won't complain. So I have a short list of places to go but am trying to decide on where to find a room at. I was looking at The area along the PCH near Malibu or Westlake Hills to be a good point to venture from but maybe some that have been out there could suggest a good central point to stay that would have access to some of the best riding in the area. I guess I have been spending too much time on the forum looking at all the pics and ride reports from you dudes in CA. Looking for some good coastal riding, climbing, and spirits/scenery.
    -Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live within minutes of all the riding you mentioned. You can stay at my pad if you want for a couple of nights. PM me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

staying in malibu is a grand idea i'm sure between brunk-mo and myself we can suggest endless routes.

there's a book of local rides by patrick brady available at amazon.com. he gets the routes right too.

look up latigo, encinal, decker, stunt, piuma, las flores, rockstore, muholland, yerba buena, tuna, topnaga, old topanga, and fernwood for climbs to do while in malibu.
    shrink, terrorist, poet, president of concerned cyclists for the abolishment of bovine source bicycle parts and head of the disaffected commie dishwashers union.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or, if you stay in Santa Monica, you will have the option of going North (Malibu) or South (South Bay, Palos Verdes, etc)...Both are great rides, both very different...

I have heard the Viceroy is a nice hotel in Santa Monica to stay in. I'm sure Swoop has a few hotels he can reccomend in the SM vicinity (as he lives there).

Steve

PS: If you are around on a Saturday or Sunday, you may catch Sherry riding your (and Jack B's ) ExoGrid...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

viceroy's mucho dinero.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Ford View Post
    viceroy's mucho dinero.
    I had no idea...Friends have stayed there and I guess I assumed it was not mucho dinero...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(viceroy) $$$$

the ride out to malibu can be overwhelming for the uninitiated... and the risk to reward is very high until it does become familiar. so if you can stay in malibu... you've already eliminated 20 minutes of pointless exposure to death (its nothing once you know where the danger spots are).

there's also no climb over 8 or 10 minutes down south. climbs like latigo take well over 40 minutes at tempo and bump up against other ones that are all 20-40....
    so you can link endless climbs together.

south is great and pretty but you don't get the quality and variety and you never leave a neighborhood.
    shrink, terrorist, poet, president of concerned cyclists for the abolishment of bovine source bicycle parts and head of the disaffected commie dishwashers union.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    I live within minutes of all the riding you mentioned. You can stay at my pad if you want for a couple of nights. PM me.
    Salonistas helping Salonistas, that's what it's all about!
    "make the break"