User Tag List

Thread: Patagonia Bibs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Patagonia Bibs

Big fan of Patagonia gear, however I only recently learned that they apparently also make some MTB specific clothing, does anyone have any experience with these and how do they compare to others?

Patagonia Men's Endless Ride Mountain Bike Bib Liners

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Patagonia Bibs

"WARNING: The Endless Ride Liner Bibs are intended for off-road use only and are meant to be worn under overshorts; worn alone, the bibs’ near-transparent mesh panels are extremely revealing, and might land you in jail—or worse, make you into an embarrassing social media meme."

Use only as directed...

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried a pair of baggies with liners on, the fit was what I can only describe as wacky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really would love to see Pata's supply chain and eco-friendly know-how spread out to the rest of athletic wear as a market -- cycling included. I haven't tried Pata's current offerings, though I would ... except bike stuff, though, has developed so much out of tradition and what has worked for decades ... I would be more keen to try their bibs if they had hired a former Italian merino mill maven to design the shape of it or something. Maybe they did ... I don't wear baggies though so I didn't look too close.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have several Patagonia stores in NYC. None of them appear to stock the cycling gear, but that may have changed. I am a bit tired of the business model that focuses on “ease of return” to solve stocking and sizing issues. Not just Patagonia but lots of clothing makers in the sports industry. I have seen Giro’s similar system of liner (both bibs and shorts) and their over-shorts, and they seem nicely made and possibly a better option for a vacation where one might be traveling by bike and sightseeing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No experience with the bibs, though I've had my eye on them. In my experience, their 'below the waist clothing" fits differently that their sweaters and jackets. I'm 6 ft 2 and have a bit of a belly and wide hips (for reference I wear XL Assos bibs). Never had a problem finding a Patagonia sweater or jacket that fits well, but my couple of attempts at pants and shorts were failures. The last was a pair of shorts for hiking: couldn't get the XLs past my hips. They went back.

I share Jorn's observation about availability. It seems that some of their products (like the shorts I mentioned above) are only available online. The return process was easy, however, so if you have two weeks to kill and don't mind tying up the money...give them a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I’ve had two pairs of Sugoi baggies and under bibs (RSX liner) for years and they are very good. Good in the woods where two layers keep the deerflies from feasting on your flanks, and a measure of modesty for when you’re somewhere you don’t want to show off the kuku penthouse. The bibs are a light transparent mesh so not for outerwear. They have a flap in front which is nice for pit stops because you don’t have to go all the way up over the top.

One nice feature is that the bibs have two series of loops on the back hips that the shorts snap onto, for varying ride height and you don’t have to snug the shorts around the waist to get them to stay up.

One weird thing is that the shorts have two boa-style dials on the back, which gives kind of a Beldar Conehead effect.

TH
    Last edited by thollandpe; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I swear by Bouré

Men's Cycling Shorts - Bouré Bicycle Clothing

Great stuff made by them in CO. Best fit, ware like iron and they will customize anything. Excellent service!
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
    Winston Churchill

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried on the Patagonia shorts with liner combo maybe a year ago at the store. They had a similar fit as other combos I have tried where I need a medium for the baggies and large for the liners because they were too tight on my thighs. I was hoping that because I was in a Patagonia store that maybe I could mix and match but I couldn't.

I just tried on the newer mesh mtn bike bib in large and the fit was as said above "wacky". The thigh gripper is way too big and the rest of the shorts (which have pocket in the back) are just too much material for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're going to Hokkaido this summer and doing a self-guided bicycle tour (not bike packing or anywhere near roughing it) that will include opportunities to visit temples, etc. during the riding days, so the idea of having something a bit more respectful in certain contexts appeals. I may just get a pair of lightweight knee-length outer shorts that I can carry and pull over my bibs when modesty is the best policy, but the liner has the possibility (at least some I've looked at) of drying more quickly in between ride days.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    We're going to Hokkaido this summer and doing a self-guided bicycle tour (not bike packing or anywhere near roughing it) that will include opportunities to visit temples, etc. during the riding days, so the idea of having something a bit more respectful in certain contexts appeals. I may just get a pair of lightweight knee-length outer shorts that I can carry and pull over my bibs when modesty is the best policy, but the liner has the possibility (at least some I've looked at) of drying more quickly in between ride days.
    I've not been to Japan, but knees and shoulders must not show in Thai temples

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZenNMotion View Post
    I've not been to Japan, but knees and shoulders must not show in Thai temples
    I'll probably be wearing knee sun-sleeves, but yeah, I have to talk to our Japanese neighbor and double-check the protocol.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a pair of baggies and liners. Good, not great. Perfectly adequate and good enough. I like the baggies better than the liner. The baggies have a bit more streamlined but not snug, fit, as compared to a lot of other more mtn bike oriented brands. The fabric has a bit of stretch to it, that I like.I would recommend but perhaps not at full price. I bought at REI on sale.

I've yet to find the perfect riding shorts ... I'm curious about 7Mesh and Kitsbow but they are hard to find locally and $$$$. I impulse purchased a Kitsbow Icon flannel shirt (for $220) ... the fit was too snug (especially through the shoulders) and though nice, it didn't strike me as $220 nice.
    Best Regards,

Jason Curtis
    FoCo, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7mesh is fantastic. Last year 90% of what I wore on my body was their stuff and I double down hard a few weeks ago and ordered a few more shorts and shirts. The only little complaint that I have is that the overshorts slide down in the back despite my bubble butt. I made a thing out of bra strap clips and elastic that hooks into a loop on the back of the liner (meant to hold up their winter over-tights) and to the belt loops on the short to keep the shorts where I want them. It should be said that I've had this issue on every 2-piece under/overshort I've ever owned and this isn't unique to 7Mesh in my experience.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain