User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Panaracer Race A Evo 3 Gravel 32mm Tire (not a race tire, not a gravelking tire)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Panaracer Race A Evo 3 Gravel 32mm Tire (not a race tire, not a gravelking tire)

Quote Originally Posted by mpulsiv View Post
    Interesting. Are you sure that Race C will be lighter? If so, weight will be close to Race L.
    Those are the weights in the 2019 catalog my Panaracer contact provided me.

The Race C is basically a Race L, but with tan sidewall and a file thread,
    (it has the same narrow ProTite belt that the Race L does)
    Both are a little lighter than the Race A, which has the wider ProTite Shield)

The Race C is only a little heavier than the Race L because it has a little more rubber tread.

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Panaracer Race A Evo 3 Gravel 32mm Tire (not a race tire, not a gravelking tire)

I have been testing Race D for ~1300 miles on different terrains. The tire is far from supple, even at 60 PSI. It's crime to ride this tire on a sunny day. Frankly, I would only recommend it as dedicated winter tire for foul-weather. Characteristics is quite similar to 'overbuild' German-engineering Continental GP 4000S.
    The Race D is designed for protection.
    It shouldn't be a surprise the ride quality is not supple,
    it's durable. it's their slowest rolling, and least comfortable tire
    in the range.

EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bicycle Rolling Resistance just started doing testing on the Race Evo 3 line. He has posted the test of the "A" model so far with the "L" and "D" coming soon. Smooth drum tests of the A tire seem to be a bit middling, which he estimates is due to high puncture resistance (he scores this "A" tire just below a Gatorskin). It will be interesting to see what the "L" tire comes in at for rolling resistance.

Panaracer Race A Evo 3 Rolling Resistance Review
    - Brad Comis

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    The Race D is designed for protection.
    It shouldn't be a surprise the ride quality is not supple,
    it's durable. it's their slowest rolling, and least comfortable tire
    in the range.

Thanks for the info. It's all clear now. I've mentioned earlier that I was going back & forth with Panaracer. At the end of the day, I'm just looking for details. For example, I had no idea that Race L has narrow ProTite belt, next to Race A. I assume, Race L will be prone to puncture when cornering due to narrow 'centered' ProTite belt. Going in a straight line, "anti-penetration" of Race A and Race L must be the same, no?
    Looking at their chart, Race L is taking a toll only in "anti-pinch", which makes sense now about narrow ProTite belt.

Prior to Race D, I was riding Gravelkings, which were more supple. Panaracer support stated that Race D and Gravelkings are very similar in ride characteristics but different technology. I found the opposite. It must be stiff reinforced shoulders on Race D.

Correct me if I'm wrong when it comes to suppliness and rolling resistance.
    EVO Competition SX -> Race L -> Race A -> Race C -> Race A gravel -> GravelKing -> Race D
    Where would Compass standard, Compass extralite and Soma Vitesse EX will fit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WheelNut View Post
    Bicycle Rolling Resistance just started doing testing on the Race Evo 3 line. He has posted the test of the "A" model so far with the "L" and "D" coming soon. Smooth drum tests of the A tire seem to be a bit middling, which he estimates is due to high puncture resistance (he scores this "A" tire just below a Gatorskin). It will be interesting to see what the "L" tire comes in at for rolling resistance.

Panaracer Race A Evo 3 Rolling Resistance Review
    Somewhat disappointing results, especially in puncture resistant test. Too much protection takes a toll on ride characteristics and rolling resistance. Looks like a confident winter tire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nearing 500 miles on my 28mm Evo Competition SXs - so far so good.

They roll very quickly, at least as quickly as the Schwalbe Pro One 25mm they replaced. Maybe not quite as fast as a GP4000, but they feel a lot nicer. They do a nice job absorbing road buzz, keep pace on rough pavement, and corner incredibly well. The grip and feel in corners is the best of any tire I've used (GP4000, Vittoria Corsa, Schwalbe Pro One / Durano, Compass Chinook Pass). Whether or not these test well on a flat/smooth drum rolling resistance test, I do not know - but on the varied roads I ride they've been great! They are wearing relatively quickly, as expected with this type of tire, but they are still round rather than squared off like many tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding the Race A Evo 3 Gravel, I have just started using a set of 700x32 on HED Belgium+ clinchers. Previously this bike (Breadwinnner B-Road) was rolling on Compass Stampede Pass 700x32 Extralights.

It's early days but here are my thoughts: The Race A Evo 3 Gravel are a little more beefy in the casing than the Compass. I am not sure how they would compare to the Standard casing Compass tires. Measurements after riding, both tires are just smidge over 33mm on the HED rims. In terms of ride quality, the Compass Extralight casing win, hands down. At the same pressure (70f/75r) the ride of the Compass is just more supple on smooth tarmac, chipseal, and gravel. I haven't hit anything super rough on the Race A yet, but they are definitely rougher. My perception of rolling resistance, is that the Compass are also a bit faster. I find rolling resistance perception is often tied to comfort though, but the measurements at bicyclerollingresistance.com show the Compass tires to be pretty fast. Sorry I do have weights, I don't have access to a good scale currently.

Now here's the rub. The cost vs quality. The Compass Extralight are $76 USD. Translated into weak Canadian dollars this is over $100 per tire. The ride is sublime, and I was happy with their performance. I had 2 punctures in 3000 km of riding. After that distance, which was mixed surface throughout, the rear was looking somewhat thin. I got the Race A Evo Gravel from Excel earlier for $85 USD for a pair. They just put a sale up yesterday, $68 USD per pair. I am definitely going to order another set at this price. I might buy some Compass again....without fenders I could easily go up to 38 on the B-Road. But I would probably keep those Compass for special days, and use the cheaper Panaracers for most of my riding. I love a good tire, and the Compass are good, they are excellent in fact but I do have my limits of what I'm willing to risk. The thought of slicing a Compass Extralight early in its life....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I concur on durability. I have ridden them (a pair of 26mm) on all surfaces, some very rough loose +1" stones and no flats cuts etc. I am putting a set on my wife's road bike just to remove that worry. Not slugs either. Roll very well.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since this has turned into a general Panaracer tire thread, I'll chime in with my recent experience. I picked up the Race A EVO3 in 25mm and have a couple rides on them so far. Mounting was a bit of a pain as they have stiff sidewalls that were tough to keep in the channel of my DT Swiss Oxic wheels (tubeless ready). The tire wanted to flatten out and pop back under the hook, but with some finesse and a final run of pushing the tire back into the center before mounting the last section they were fine.

As for the ride, I've ridden them a little over 100 miles between two rides, one totally dry and one a mix of wet and dry roads. The first ride was a day after one of the harder rides I've done in a while so my legs were cooked. The tires felt a tiny bit sluggish, but I suspect that was me and not the tires. Today was a sprightly 40+ miles and the tires didn't feel sluggish at all. Maybe not the fastest feeling tire I've ridden, but certainly better than many. They also feel really nice cornering. I'm not sure how much of that is due to the design or me wanting them to corner well because of what I've read about the design, so time will tell. It does feel like the ride is a bit harsher than the Schwalbe Ones they replaced, but I haven't played around with pressure too much and with their stiffer sidewalls I may just need to drop the pressure a little more. They also seem pretty durable. So far I like them. We'll see how I feel in a few weeks. I also picked up a set of the EVO Competition SX, but I'm saving those for something fun in the next few weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Since this has turned into a general Panaracer tire thread, I'll chime in with my recent experience. I picked up the Race A EVO3 in 25mm and have a couple rides on them so far. Mounting was a bit of a pain as they have stiff sidewalls that were tough to keep in the channel of my DT Swiss Oxic wheels (tubeless ready). The tire wanted to flatten out and pop back under the hook, but with some finesse and a final run of pushing the tire back into the center before mounting the last section they were fine.

As for the ride, I've ridden them a little over 100 miles between two rides, one totally dry and one a mix of wet and dry roads. The first ride was a day after one of the harder rides I've done in a while so my legs were cooked. The tires felt a tiny bit sluggish, but I suspect that was me and not the tires. Today was a sprightly 40+ miles and the tires didn't feel sluggish at all. Maybe not the fastest feeling tire I've ridden, but certainly better than many. They also feel really nice cornering. I'm not sure how much of that is due to the design or me wanting them to corner well because of what I've read about the design, so time will tell. It does feel like the ride is a bit harsher than the Schwalbe Ones they replaced, but I haven't played around with pressure too much and with their stiffer sidewalls I may just need to drop the pressure a little more. They also seem pretty durable. So far I like them. We'll see how I feel in a few weeks. I also picked up a set of the EVO Competition SX, but I'm saving those for something fun in the next few weeks.
    Are you running them tubeless? Curious about eventually trying road tubeless.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Are you running them tubeless? Curious about eventually trying road tubeless.
    Nope. I ran an early set of Hutchison tubeless on HED Belgiums with a Stan's conversion kit a handful of years back, but ultimately decided I wasn't comfortable with the higher pressures on a tubeless setup. I am using 38mm Panaracer Gravelking Tubeless on wide rims on my Zukas allroad bike, and that setup has been solid, but they're usually in the 50 psi or less range.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait, Race A has stiff and reinforced sidewalls?
    I was impressed with thin sidewalls on my 32mm GravelKings, which are a breeze to mount on wheels. This makes me wonder whether 28mm Race A Gravel are more supple than 28mm Race A.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait, Race A has stiff and reinforced sidewalls?
    I was impressed with thin sidewalls on my 32mm GravelKings, which are a breeze to mount on wheels. This makes me wonder whether 28mm Race A Gravel are more supple than 28mm Race A.
    My guess is that it's all relative. I just looked at the Race A 25s, some EVO SX 25s and Gravelking 28s that are all in my spare tire bin and the Gravelkings are stiffer than the Race As, which are stiffer than the SX. This is also just based on a wiggle test while unmounted so it means very little from a ride quality perspective. I also regularly use Veloflex Corsa or Schwalbe One tires, both of which are very supple.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. I thought the Gravelkings sidewall is very soft but I don't have Race A to compare it to. My Race D is very stiff and harsh. I don't think it's even possible to puncture this tire.
    I race on 25mm Veloflex with Vittoria latex tubes. Fantastic tire but based on what I've gathered, it's not as supple as Race A, right?
    Correct me if I'm wrong here. This is updated from supple -> stiff:

EVO Competition (~2mm wider) -> Race L EVO3 (~2mm wider) -> Unreleased Race C EVO3 tan sidewall -> Race A EVO3 (~2mm wider) -> Race A EVO3 Gravel (~2mm narrow?), GravelKing (true size), Race D EVO3 (~2mm wider)

Where would Compass extralites fit? Is it a tie with EVO Competition? According to Panaracer, they are based on a similar casing from Compass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope you get this suppleness hierarchy worked out so you can be impulsive.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am only on my fifth ride on tubeless tires. I ride 3 days a week and the tires lose a little pressure after two days. But they are no harder to mount than my Compass tires and I have had no flats, which is remarkable in Lodi,CA during grape harvest. The tubeless( 60f,65r) in 28 width ride better than my 32 Compass Ultralights(with tubes at 50f,55r) without my going through the excessive flat problem.. I guess I am sold on tubeless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dpcompt View Post
    I am only on my fifth ride on tubeless tires. I ride 3 days a week and the tires lose a little pressure after two days. But they are no harder to mount than my Compass tires and I have had no flats, which is remarkable in Lodi,CA during grape harvest. The tubeless( 60f,65r) in 28 width ride better than my 32 Compass Ultralights(with tubes at 50f,55r) without my going through the excessive flat problem.. I guess I am sold on tubeless.
    Race A EVO3 Gravel is a tubed tire, no?
    The closest thing I see from Panaracer catalog tubeless compatible are: 25mm Race A (part # RF725-RCA-TL) and 38mm Gravelking (part # RF738-GK)
    Did you pair latex tubes with your Compass extralights? Running butyl somewhat defeats the purpose of running extralights.
    For extra protection, 1-2 oz of Orange Seal in latex tubes does the trick. I got home on my Veloflex without have to change a tube. Just pump it and you are good to go. It's a win-win.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I race on 25mm Veloflex with Vittoria latex tubes. Fantastic tire but based on what I've gathered, it's not as supple as Race A, right?
    I think the Race A is more stiff than Veloflex, at least any Veloflex I've used. It's also more stiff than the Compass I've tried. Again, keep in mind that I'm comparing 25-28mm tires unmounted and sometimes still in packaging. The Race A EVO was more of a pain to mount than I'm used to with GP4000, Schwalbe Ones, or Michelin Pro4 Endurance, which are the three tires I've previously used most often in recent years. From a ride standpoint, I think it's too early for me to tell how they all compare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Running butyl somewhat defeats the purpose of running extralights.
    The trade-offs of butyl vs latex inner tubes are many, but with either tube the Compass Extralight gives a sublime ride, the best plump clincher available (ever since I was making my own with a belt sander).

For extra protection, 1-2 oz of Orange Seal in latex tubes does the trick. I got home on my Veloflex without have to change a tube. Just pump it and you are good to go. It's a win-win.
    Running sealant in inner tubes is dangerous because of the way a fully-flat tire squirms. It's like riding on ice and I won't do it again. And encourage others not to try it.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    My guess is that it's all relative. I just looked at the Race A 25s, some EVO SX 25s and Gravelking 28s that are all in my spare tire bin and the Gravelkings are stiffer than the Race As, which are stiffer than the SX. This is also just based on a wiggle test while unmounted so it means very little from a ride quality perspective. I also regularly use Veloflex Corsa or Schwalbe One tires, both of which are very supple.
    I'm curious about these Race A's, I'll have to buy a pair shortly as I'm not expecting the Evos to last super long. The Gravelkings ride great for what they are - I just did D2R2 180k on a set and didn't flat...for a tire that can do that the on-road comfort is great! The Evo I'd say is more supple than a Vittoria Corsa, but I think they also measure out a little bit wider.

Interesting. I thought the Gravelkings sidewall is very soft but I don't have Race A to compare it to. My Race D is very stiff and harsh. I don't think it's even possible to puncture this tire.
    Correct me if I'm wrong here. This is updated from supple -> stiff:

EVO Competition (~2mm wider) -> Race L EVO3 (~2mm wider) -> Unreleased Race C EVO3 tan sidewall -> Race A EVO3 (~2mm wider) -> Race A EVO3 Gravel (~2mm narrow?), GravelKing (true size), Race D EVO3 (~2mm wider)

Where would Compass extralites fit? Is it a tie with EVO Competition? According to Panaracer, they are based on a similar casing from Compass.
    The 28mm Compass Extralight is nowhere close to the Evo, a Corsa, or any other cotton casing race tire in my opinion.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast