Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Paint on TI, paint to naked

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Paint on TI, paint to naked

I deal with independent Fab, and on their Ti frames where paint is going to change to naked Ti they put a vinyl masking tape over the paint edge they say it is because the paint will peal up at the edge without it. I see lots of SS frames being made with polished naked parts and no masking. Is paint on SS better at holding the edge, or is there an issue with Ti, or is I.F. just over cautious. Just Curoius.
    We have a customer that has his vinyl tape peeling so it just got me thinking.
    thanks
    sam

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Paint on TI, paint to naked

Sam

We quit using the edge tape unless the customer asks for it. The issue was that the paint edge was tall and we felt it was ugly and could catch on something and chip. Clint, the lead painter, figured out a way to make the edge look nice so we dropped the tape.

Lloyd
    The qualities you are looking for in a leader include: Does the individual have the respect of the men? How do you get the respect of the men? By living with them, being a part of it, being able to understand what they are going through and not to separate yourself from them. You have to know your men. You have to gain their confidence. And the way to gain the confidence of anybody, whether itís in war or civilian life or whatever, you must be honest. Be honest, be fair and be consistent. You canít be honest and fair one day, and the next give your people the short end of the stick. Once you can achieve that, you will be a leader.

Dick Winters

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Paint on TI, paint to naked

Quote Originally Posted by sam View Post
    I deal with independent Fab, and on their Ti frames where paint is going to change to naked Ti they put a vinyl masking tape over the paint edge they say it is because the paint will peal up at the edge without it. I see lots of SS frames being made with polished naked parts and no masking. Is paint on SS better at holding the edge, or is there an issue with Ti, or is I.F. just over cautious. Just Curoius.
    We have a customer that has his vinyl tape peeling so it just got me thinking.
    thanks
    sam
    It is a potential issue even with bike that have no tape. If you really want to be slick about it and make it look real nice take it to a pin-stripper and have them but a nice pinstripe to protect the edge. It will look much nicer and last a long time.
    All the best,

David Bohm
    Bohemian Bicycles

Facebook www.facebook.com/bohemianbicycles
    Framebuilding courses http://www.framebuildingschool.com
    Carbon framebuilding courses http://www.carbonframebuildingschool.com