Thread: Paint: Color Selection and Durability

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Paint: Color Selection and Durability

A question or two for the builders and those that paint frames:

What shows less wear and tear, dark or light colored paints?
    Is there a color or method that one should avoid when selecting paint for their next frame? For example, I found an old thread mentioning that fluorescent colors don稚 hold up well over time.

I知 working through color choices for N+1. I haven稚 bought a new, painted bike in many years. My last was British Racing Green and that seemed to show every nick and bump but maybe that was the specific batch or the application method more so than the color. I know dings and scratches always seemed more apparent on my dark colored cars. I知 a little OCD about this so would prefer to select something that will wear well.

Ti bike, if it matters, and the undercarriage will likely be unfinished. I知 on completely different ends of the blue spectrum: midnight or super pale (like the blue of a VW bus)
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Paint: Color Selection and Durability

My lighter color bikes seem to show nicks less than dark ones. However black is easy to paint match and you can use a marker pen for the small rock pings. If you have a model frame that the builder seems to have a major color that is nice. Rock Lobsters and Bianchi green are examples of that. Red seems always fast and there are a lot of good looking orange bikes. Since you brought up Ti, I like to leave it unfinished. A scotchbrite and a littleWD 40 can make a Ti bike look new after 10-15 years wear. I clean my ti bikes with a WD 40 rag and they always look spectacular. Painted bikes are way harder to clean cause I worry about scratches when I clean them. I like black transfers, tape,stem seatpost , headset and wheels blacked out on a ti bike. God forgive me but I was born a Raiders fan before things got ugly with them, and that is all I will say about my color choices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stopped worrying and just plan on getting them repainted when it gets so bad that I can't stand it anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    I stopped worrying and just plan on getting them repainted when it gets so bad that I can't stand it anymore.
    I'm almost relieved when I get the first chip or scratch. It reminds me it's a bike and meant to be ridden.

For the OP, depends on what kind of riding. My MTB and gravel bike is powder coated because it's supposed to take rock hits better. My steel road bikes are painted.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could do cerakote?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The question was color, dark versus light. I know I can leave it bare but I already have a naked Ti bike and want some color to look at. And, yes, paint is cheap and I can have it repainted but wanted to choose sensibly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not sure there is an absolute answer to this. I have ti frame with white paint. It is not babied and shows no signs of wear (once I clean it). I think this has as much, or more, to do with the quality of the paint and painter than the color. It was painted by Mr. Tom Kellogg.

If you think about automotive paint, they have that sorted out pretty well at this point. It is rare to see a faded or overly chipped car that was built in the last 10 years. And car are subjected to much worst conditions that a bike.

My free advice is - go for whatever color you want. Just make sure you use one of the top painters.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moke View Post
    there are a lot of good looking orange bikes.
    qft

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a Ferrari red Serotta that always held it’s own in terms of dirt and nicks...it was red over Ti 3/4 paint. “Bob Ross” quoting on paint is pretty good.
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My limited experience with both custom + production paint is this:

bad prep + cheap paint = Weak/cheap. ----Rating: Cheap Shitty-Shit
    bad prep + expensive paint = looks great and then degrades within a year. ----Rating: Expensive Shit.
    good prep + cheap paint = Looks better than production. Will degrade in a few years. ----Rating: Shit
    good prep + good paint = good results + durable. ----Rating: The Shit.

Neons and reds fade faster than most other pigments. You need to use a high-quality clear. U-Pol doesn't cut it. Deltron or HoK ($95/gal vs $300/gal). I made that mistake. It was an expensive mistake.

Lighter colors tend not to show scratches as much.
    Metal flake can hide a lot of mistakes + damage.

Pro painters know not to use cheap paint and know how to prep a bike. They can give you advice based on the system they're using.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silver paint would show chips the least, but there’s not much point in that...

I have ti painted red (Pronto) and white (Legend). Serotta had a top-quality paint operation—both have held up extremely well. Agree that a lighter color will show chips less than a darker color, if the chip goes all the way to bare metal. Which brings me to this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewheels View Post
    <snip>
    Just make sure you use one of the top painters.
    ... and what f_a said above. The better painters do better prep work, have better paint booths, ovens, paint, etc. This ends up costing more up front, but you get a more durable finish.

Give Justin a call—he has worked with all the top painters. I personally had a great experience working with Toby and Jordan at HotTubes, as well as the folks at SPW (now owned by Mosaic). My guess is that Justin’s go-to painter is Noel at Velocolor....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my new Rugged Road Bike from Dave Kirk is being painted in Molteni orange by Joe Bell. It takes a while but I am enjoying the anticipation. I have an "old" Kirk road bike also painted by JB. Top quality.