Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pacenti Rim Amnesty

This is pretty cool IMO.

Rim Amnesty – Pacenti Cycle Design

Allow us to introduce ourselves. We are Luke Humphreys and Matthias Wiessler, the new owners of Pacenti Cycle Design. We became involved in PCD in early 2017. This year we decided to purchase the company from Kirk Pacenti and we are taking it in a new direction.

While we’re very excited about the future, we will be introducing new rims, wheelsets, and other components with a focus on customer service. Our first mission is to reconnect with the customers who supported Pacenti Cycle Design from the beginning.

We realize that Pacenti Cycle Design experienced many of the growing pains typical of small, innovative companies attempting to break into competitive industries. As we’ve come to learn, it hasn’t always been smooth sailing.

We are fortunate to have inherited many happy, loyal customers. At the same time, we know that we have our work cut out if we are to regain the trust, support and patronage of some of you as we begin writing the next chapter in this company’s future.

To this end, we are offering all customers who purchased Pacenti SL23 and SL25 (V1 and V2) rims or wheelsets from 2013 to 2017 the chance to upgrade at a substantial discount:

Trade up your old rims
    • $75 off any set of Pacenti Rims
    • $100 off a Pacenti Aluminum Wheelset
    • $125 off a Pacenti Carbon Wheelset
    • 25% off any other product we offer

This offer will be available through January 31, 2019. If you’d like to take advantage of it, please send us an email at admin@pacenticycledesign.com
    with your name, when and where you purchased your SL23 or SL25 rims or wheels, and which of these offers you’d like to receive. We will then issue you a coupon code that you can use to complete your purchase.
    Thank you for your time and your support. We’re looking to make a fresh start here at Pacenti Cycle Design. We hope you’ll join us.

Best regards,

Luke Humphreys and Matthias Wiessler
    Pacenti Cycle Design
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Pacenti Rim Amnesty

They definitely believe in their new product.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those asym 650B rims look cool. Pity they don't (yet) offer a wheelset based on those...
    Guy Washburn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nicely done.

Tödd Höllând

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My cracked SL23's have since been replaced with DT511's. It's amazing that I wore out a set of Open Pros, ground the sidewalls down until they were concave but they never cracked. The SL23's didn't make six months. I have trust issues.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I have trust issues.
    You're not the only one. I flat spotted some of the first gen of that shiny box section rim (kinda my fault...but I didn't hit that hard). Of all the wheels I've built for other folks, SL23's and SL25's were the only ones that ever cracked.

I have a theory that the reason they crack is from impact forces - that temporary increase in force at the spoke holes, that did 'em in. I think that because I built a lot of SL25's, which are nearly identical to the SL23, but being disc specific they were mostly used on fatter tired gravel bikes, vs skinny road-oriented rim brake SL23 builds. Bigger tires at lower pressure help reduce impact force shock vs smaller tires at higher pressures.

I only had one SL25 crack, and it was used on a skinny tire disc road bike.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    My cracked SL23's have since been replaced with DT511's. It's amazing that I wore out a set of Open Pros, ground the sidewalls down until they were concave but they never cracked. The SL23's didn't make six months. I have trust issues.

Same here. Mine went in the trash can after about 3 months.
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
    Cyfac Fignon Tribute Proxidium
    Bixxis Prima

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know where the rims are made and/or sourced?
    "The older I get the better I was" Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    You're not the only one. I flat spotted some of the first gen of that shiny box section rim (kinda my fault...but I didn't hit that hard). Of all the wheels I've built for other folks, SL23's and SL25's were the only ones that ever cracked.

I have a theory that the reason they crack is from impact forces - that temporary increase in force at the spoke holes, that did 'em in. I think that because I built a lot of SL25's, which are nearly identical to the SL23, but being disc specific they were mostly used on fatter tired gravel bikes, vs skinny road-oriented rim brake SL23 builds. Bigger tires at lower pressure help reduce impact force shock vs smaller tires at higher pressures.

I only had one SL25 crack, and it was used on a skinny tire disc road bike.
    And Terry Wittenberg (RT wheels) built mine on Record hubs. The guy keeps binders of spoke tension for each set of wheels he built, he is meticulous about everything. And they still cracked. Old Potatoe built the current version with the same hubs and the 511's.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And now I'm regretting writing that. I shouldn't be so cynical; they are probably just doing their best to restore faith in their product while announcing in a public way that things have changed for the better..... My apologies. I'd delete my post but the "edit" button has disappeared....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Pacenti rims have taken some beatings and I've had no issues. I hear about them all the time but I've had great success. My personal favorites are my Forza wheels. They're rock solid and lively wheels. Next up are my SL23 Gen 2 laced by Dustin of Southern Wheelworks Global Industries and Ergott-built SL25s. They've endured the most punishment, by far, and are as true today as they were when he built them about 3 years ago.

The Gen 1 SL23s are clearly out of date wheels because of their dimensions but otherwise the rest have been great, for me at least. No cracks or truing issues.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had great success with the 650B SL23s. I sold my rim brake 650B frame or I'd still be using them happily. I did dent one 700c SL23 on a rather nasty massachusetts pothole, but it survived impact with many others over two years of rando rides. I eventually got tired of the un-removable bump-bump-bump as I used the rear brake so I swapped it out. But no cracking at all on either set.
    Guy Washburn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm sad that kirk p is no longer at the helm.

i remember fondly calling a few times with questions - most recently a dumb question about wheelbuilding ERD with an offset forza - and kirk answers the phone and we talk it out together. to me that's worth something. i support the current iteration of the company as well, and think it's a nice move to take care of customers that may have a bad taste in their mouth after a failed rim or three. good for them.

the current forza's are very good rims IMO, and i think they got the balance right between light and durable on this round.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pacenti Brevet Rims have been very good for me so far:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've built a number and owned another number of pacenti rims. I'm aware of the issues but I have never seen it firsthand. I have some second gen sl23s on my personal road bike right now without issues (20/24h build on a bike that is ridden on 50% dirt) and my last cross bike had first gen sl25's as training wheels (i built those with polyax nipple washers) with 10k + miles, using everything from 40mm gravel tires to 25mm road tubeless, ridden on gravel centuries and mountain bike trails.

Not sure what my point is in writing this, guess just to say I've seen open pros crack on almost every eyelet after a couple thousand miles, most of the enves that have come across my bench in the past 2 years have been horrible quality brand new, with many being sent back before even being mounted and many other examples of age old favorites not live up to their rep.

This offer from Pacenti definitely doesn't do anything to help builders who will have to balance their costs to rebuild and their customers expectations, based on a rim they likely recommended needing to be replaced, but it's a step in the right direction.
    So I say to youth right now. Don't sway to the unjust,
    no matter what they say, never give in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    I have had great success with the 650B SL23s. I sold my rim brake 650B frame or I'd still be using them happily. I did dent one 700c SL23 on a rather nasty massachusetts pothole, but it survived impact with many others over two years of rando rides. I eventually got tired of the un-removable bump-bump-bump as I used the rear brake so I swapped it out. But no cracking at all on either set.
    That is helpful thank you. I have 4 unused 650B SL23 rims and, when I started to read this thread, I was wondering whether I should still use them. I will now get around to building two of them into wheels for my next bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My experience with Pacenti rims has been a bit mixed, some have seemed to hold up great, others have cracked or had issue at the time of build. That said, they seem to be making a big effort to solve the issues, which I applaud.
    Should have our first set of Forza C rims arriving this week, curious to see how they building ride.

Side note, a couple weeks ago I noticed my (personal) SL25 rims are cracked. They have about 8-10k worth of hard road miles on them. I have not seen any issues with the new Forza rims yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently ordered 3 Pacenti Brevet 650b 36 hole rims from the USA because my usual UK supplier only had 32 hole available. They arrived within 7 days shipped directly from the UK so I got them quickly and did not have to pay import duty. I am pleasantly surprised and have no complaints.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the new brevet rims. Bishop had them on his bike on new years day when we rode together.

I'm just bummed they aren't making the TL25 anymore. I'm running both a 700 and 650b version of them and when I wanted to do a thru-axle re-build, found out they are no more! Tommy Barse re-built the existing wheelset which have been excellent so far, so hopefully another 5 good years on them. Helps when you have a detail-oriented wheel builder to manage spoke tensions and geometries. @cutlassvelo