Likes Likes:  0

Thread: OT: Photography Help

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default OT: Photography Help

Family and I will be heading out to the Grand Canyon and Canyon De Shay this spring.

I do not want to plunk down some coin for a wide angle lense for my wife's nikon d80.

I was wondering how the wide angle lense adapters work?

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    life is too short to drink bad wine....

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

plunk down some money for the wide angle lens.
    a once in a lifetime trip to the gc?
    go for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You also have an option to take a bunch of overlapping photos (try about 1/3 overlap, tripod recommended). There are few dedicated panorama photo stitching programs (e.g. http://www.ptgui.com/). Photoshop also works well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can also consider renting a high end lens - Calumet photo rents equipment - no idea how expensive it is though.

OTOH - I'm with Pucci - buy the lens, you will always need a wide angle.

Keep in mind that I think the D90 is a 1.6x crop camera. So a 17-35 wide angle zoom will behave like a 28-56mm zoom. Go for a 10-22 or something like that to get true wide angle on that camera.

Enjoy!

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Real wide angle is a problem in the crop SLR's, as you need to get the 14 2.8 in a fixed to get wide. I don't care for the way wide zooms with lots of elements and slow/dark apertures.
    Below Average

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Renting is an option, there are several outfits that do that, however I don't know how much it will cost you.

A good wide angle is one of the best things to have in your kit. Once you have one you will probably use it more often than anything else. My brother has the sigma 10-22 for nikon and loves it. I will be adding one soon. I agree somewhat with the criticism that the WA zooms have some issue with dark/distortion, but they add a whole lot of flexibility for the price. A fast wide prime is a much different bite in the wallet that the WA zoom. See if your local photo shop will let you demo one for a day and go and shoot some pics. Let us know what you think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm solving the problem by buying a Panasonic LX3. It comes with a 24-60 F2 zoom. I'll have a wide angle camera instead of a 2k lens.

The crop cameras make telephoto work cheaper,tho. You can buy less of a lens and get the effects.
    Below Average

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would buy whatever pix I wanted from the pro offerings and take close-ups of my family at the sites I wanted with my regular lens selection. I wouldn't try to beat the best pix available from pros myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Easy Answer

Quote Originally Posted by znfdl View Post
    Family and I will be heading out to the Grand Canyon and Canyon De Shay this spring.

I do not want to plunk down some coin for a wide angle lense for my wife's nikon d80.

I was wondering how the wide angle lense adapters work?

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I strongly suggest the Tokina 11-16 F2.8---great len for your Nikon (I use one on a D200) and it is a phenomenal. Gets great reviews around the web as well. You won't get good results from "an adapter" and this is a lens that won't break the bank as high grade glass has a tendency to do.

Bought mine here:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...011-16%20Nikon

They are usually back ordered every place you look as they are very popular and sell fast. I was able to snag one by checking B&H and Adorama every few days for a few weeks--just bookmark the page and hit it quickly each morning. If one comes in stock, just buy it. You won't be disappointed!

Otherwise, I'd follow Ken's advice and buy pro offerings. Don't waste your money on an adapter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read a number of reviews on the web and they all state that the tokina is a very nice lense and half the price of the Nikon lense.
    life is too short to drink bad wine....

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
    I would buy whatever pix I wanted from the pro offerings and take close-ups of my family at the sites I wanted
    Not a perfect analogy, but this jumped out at me so I have to put my $0.02 in:

IMO this is like riding a mountain stage most of the way, but allowing yourself to be towed up the final climb by the support vehicles. The "big" views are what make the Grand Canyon what it is, not the close-up shots. Same thing for the Galibier. If you want to do it, then you should do it yourself.

I'd prefer imperfect shots I took myself over perfect shots taken by a pro any day.

M