User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: OT: "A country for old men" - photos from the "Norwegian" areas in North Dakota

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default OT: "A country for old men" - photos from the "Norwegian" areas in North Dakota

Hi guys,

I know quite a few of you are interested in good photography and stories. The leading business newspaper (Dagens Næringsliv) over here printed a great article about the "Norwegian" settlements in North Dakota this weekend. It's a story about the dreams of a better life. Travelling to faraway places with dreams, hopes and courage. And how things not necessarily goes as planned. A timeless story that we need to be reminded of when everything becomes to comfortable in life and we as a society try to limit access for those strugling for a better life. The story is not on the 'net, but the pictures are. Worth having a look at.

Check out the slideshow in this Google-translated article: http://translate.google.com/translat...ce&sl=no&tl=en

Image: Mikaela Berg/Dagens Næringsliv

Truls - who has "family" scattered all over the US
    Hølen, Norway

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: OT: "A country for old men" - photos from the "Norwegian" areas in North Dakota

that was excellent
    thanks for that. great photos.

makes you think about why people end up in different places. looks so bleak there...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: OT: "A country for old men" - photos from the "Norwegian" areas in North Dakota

The Norwegians most often emigrated due to limited land left in Norway (rising population) and poverty. The Homestead Act combined with agressive imigration agents, railway agents, business developers, the church and the newspapers pictured the prairie as paradise. Despite warnings from contemporary writers it resulted in a building boom in an area with scarce resources and temperemental climate.

Truls

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. I'll actually be driving back from Montana through that area this summer. What I thought would be the worst part of the trip could now be made interesting. Thanks for sharing this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    makes you think about why people end up in different places. looks so bleak there...
    I grew up north of Fargo. My mom grew up on a farm near New Rockford, 40 miles or so from Hamar where lots of the pictures were taken. Just an FYI, Hamar is on an Indian Reservation.

While those photos represent some isolated places in NoDak, I don't think they're representative of the place. Some areas are certainly dying, but modern industrial agriculture has brought a lot of prosperity, new houses, and shiny pickups to the eastern half of the state.

During this recession North Dakota has had some of the country's most stable home prices and one of the lowest unemployment rates. The winters are cold and long, the wind never stops blowing, but there are lots worse places to live.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great photos, thanks for sharing.

-g

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice that reminds me of home, I grew up near the North Dakota and Minnesota borders in South Dakota. Those small dead towns are nice I can not wait to move back home.