Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default opinion about tubeless wheelset for cx

Campy shamal ultra 2 way fit
    http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/whe...F_catid_10.jsp

+

hutchinson piranha cx tubeless
    http://www.hutchinson-pneus.com/us/c...ub=cyclo-cross

vs. my current set up of handbuilts with tune hubs, 28/32 spokes, aerohead rims, challenge grifo file tread clinchers. Just for riding all around, not looking to race cross.

I'd like to save weight, see what the lower rolling resistance hype is about, and have cool wheels that are also tough. Is that latex stuff mandatory even if the rim/tire are designed for tubeless use?? Any alternatives for campy bikes? Maybe a tubeless edge clincher would be cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I roll down to 15psi with tubeless on both Michelin Muds and Jets. I wouldn't try that with either tubulars or clinchers.

Works for me. Tubeless rocks.

-Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm a die hard cross tubular fanatic but, in a moment of insanity, built a pair of wheels with stan's 29'er rims, which supposedly give you wide options in running non-tubeless specific clincher tires in a tubeless configuration. the wheels built nicely, round, true, good even spoke tension. the tape went on ok. the tires mounted easily. the front was difficult to inflate but I got it filled. i need to buy some of the stan's sealant. I haven't ridden them yet buy we shall see. the people who run them seem to like the setup quite a bit. i'd say go for it and see what you think.

the latex seems to be mandatory.

the campy wheels you picture are pretty blingy. why not just build something more frugal, like campy or DT hubs with stans rims or a used pair of K's which reportedly convery nicely? i built my wheelset with an on sale rear centaur rear hub and an on sale DA 7800 front.
    Last edited by twowheels; 09-10-2008 at 01:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ergott View Post
    I roll down to 15psi with tubeless on both Michelin Muds and Jets. I wouldn't try that with either tubulars or clinchers.

Works for me. Tubeless rocks.

-Eric

What is your setup? Could you do that with open pros?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would think the down side would be limit tire choices at this point.
    "SHUT UP LEGS"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tubeless or not, I wouldn't ride that tread.
    Mike Zanconato
    Web
    | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Tumblr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    What is your setup? Could you do that with open pros?

2 sets. One with Chris King hubs and one with XTR hubs.

Both are Sapim Laser spokes, alloy nipples and Stan's 29er rims. They don't hold air well without the sealant in there so I would go ahead and assume you have to put it in. Before I did, the tires went soft overnight.

I imagine you can do this with other rims like OP, but there are some considerations.

1) the Stan's rims lock the bead real well. You get that snap when they are in place while initially filling them up.

2) eyeleted rims might be more difficult to tape up (never tired). A rim without them like the niobium rims or Aerohead might be a better idea. Rims like the Ksyrium are supposed to be even easier as you don't even need the tape.

3) I have a feeling that the Stan's rims being wider (about 24mm) makes them roll better than other road rims. They should make the cross section of the tire more round. Just a though as I have no real proof other than my experience.

The setup is so good that I don't even want to go with high profile carbon rims. The whole rudder in mud thing might be nice, but I bet this setup hooks up better than anything else. I have to get some other peoples' observations on this. My wheels are 135mm spaced otherwise I'd consider sending out a set for testing to my usual contacts.

-Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arik View Post
    I'd like to save weight, see what the lower rolling resistance hype is about, and have cool wheels that are also tough. Is that latex stuff mandatory even if the rim/tire are designed for tubeless use?? Any alternatives for campy bikes? Maybe a tubeless edge clincher would be cool.
    You could experiment with your current setup. Get the Stan's kit and try them out with your rims/tires. All you need is the tape, sealant and valve stem so the cost of the experiment is relatively small.

On another note, I tried to setup my Edge clinchers tubeless for the road and I couldn't get the tires to seal very well. I will revisit the experiment when I have more time.

-Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eric, what tires did you try? i assume a number of them were non-tubeless specific, as that is one of the real world selling points of the stan's rims. that is why i decided to use the rims as opposed to converting an existing pair of clincher wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run the King hubs/stans rims set up with the hutchinson bulldog. I love it. The sealant stops air leaking on punctures and initial set up. The open pros require a special stans strip according to him as the rims are narrow. Ksyriums work like a charm as there are no spoke holes.

Stan's deal(rims) use the yellow tape so pretty light. I weighed these wheels stans ztr rims king classic hubs with champion cheap black spokes and black brass nipples and it was 100 grams less then the 240 hubs on GP4 tubular rimes with a light weight bladed spoke with alu nipples. I have no idea how, but it was.

Anyway, I have used tubeless for mtbs for years and have had brilliant sucess keeping tires on and aired up.

The tires I used were the hutchinson bull dogs which are tubless ready. hardest effin tire I have ever mounted. They fit on tight, so quick tire change is a no go, BUT they are staying aired up wicked easy. I haven't done 15psi like ergott as he has skills I don't have.

Anyway I dig tubless and will use them for my race sunday.
    Dave Bradley...not the grumpy old Hogwarts caretaker "Mr. Filch" or the star of American Ninja 3 and 4.

formerly "Mr.President"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
    eric, what tires did you try? i assume a number of them were non-tubeless specific, as that is one of the real world selling points of the stan's rims. that is why i decided to use the rims as opposed to converting an existing pair of clincher wheels.

Yeah would be interested to see what cats try. I wonder if the challenge sidewalls would hold air. I have a set of griffo clincher and the new fan-dango ones look cool.
    Dave Bradley...not the grumpy old Hogwarts caretaker "Mr. Filch" or the star of American Ninja 3 and 4.

formerly "Mr.President"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.President View Post
    Yeah would be interested to see what cats try. I wonder if the challenge sidewalls would hold air. I have a set of griffo clincher and the new fan-dango ones look cool.
    are you going to give the griffos a shot?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have Michelin Muds on one set and Michelin Jet on the other. Probably the two best treads out there.

IIRC, people have been putting Mud treads on custom Dugast tires in the past.

-Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are you going to give the griffos a shot?

The ones I had are Flux's old ones and there isn't much tread left. It is coming off of the casing so it isn't the best set to try. I got some tubies from e-richie so right now I am happy with those. I am sure at some point I will, but for sure would let you know. If those Orange woopiewoopiewoopieo ones are not an arm and a leg I could see giving those a go.

Once someone has a leg on when/where/how to get-em I will.

formerly "Mr.President"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zank View Post
    tubeless or not, I wouldn't ride that tread.
    Yeah I judge books by their covers too, I won't know till I try it.

PS. thanks all for the great information in this thread, tubeless looks like the right idea

Last edited by arik; 09-10-2008 at 06:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, tried the griffos with stan's goo and it worked like a chocolate firewall.

The sidewalls are too porous to hold air. The tread as it is rubber does just fine, but the casing is useless with regards to this. I am sure if you really wanted to, you could aqua seal the inside of the tire, but that sounds boring and lame.

full rubber tires apparently are the trick.

formerly "Mr.President"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.President View Post
    ok, tried the griffos with stan's goo and it worked like a chocolate firewall.

The sidewalls are too porous to hold air. The tread as it is rubber does just fine, but the casing is useless with regards to this. I am sure if you really wanted to, you could aqua seal the inside of the tire, but that sounds boring and lame.

full rubber tires apparently are the trick.
    bummer but its good to know. thanks for running the experiment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rim dings have been a problem for me with clincher rims. I ran pressure in the 20's and did not pinch flat, but I bent up the rims pretty badly.

Tubular rims support the edge of the rim much better, essentially making it a "double wall" where the rim would get dinged.

Is there any reason to think a tubeless tire/rim would be more ding resistant?
    Below Average

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ergott View Post

IIRC, people have been putting Mud treads on custom Dugast tires in the past.

-Eric
    Tilford does this...we were talking about what tread casing to order back in the summer.
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dfcas View Post
    Rim dings have been a problem for me with clincher rims. I ran pressure in the 20's and did not pinch flat, but I bent up the rims pretty badly.

Tubular rims support the edge of the rim much better, essentially making it a "double wall" where the rim would get dinged.

Is there any reason to think a tubeless tire/rim would be more ding resistant?
    i hear you i've blown out/dented a bunch of clincher rims cross training

the stans rims have a much shallower sidewall and should be much more resistant to dents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast